At what point does Hahn "blow it up"?

Quin

8 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Hahn (and Haber) need to be dumped long before any star is traded off.

Do we even know anything about Haber to say whether he's done a great job or a piss-poor one?

Seriously, all of Hahn's early work (that went poorly) gets blamed on KW's influence, everything recently on TLR/JR, so what is he actually responsible for anymore?

Just the Giolito and Anderson contract negotiations?

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Do we even know anything about Haber to say whether he's done a great job or a piss-poor one?

Seriously, all of Hahn's early work (that went poorly) gets blamed on KW's influence, everything recently on TLR/JR, so what is he actually responsible for anymore?

Just the Giolito and Anderson contract negotiations?

Yea, Kenny Williams did it.  The Teflon Hahn.

4 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Yea, Kenny Williams did it.  The Teflon Hahn.

https://www.mlb.com/giants/team/front-office

Just find SOMEONE from a team that actually knows what they're doing!   If you want to stretch the budget again, go with Cleveland, TB, Milwaukee or the Braves.  Probably some great minds left in the A's front office still.  Obviously the Dodgers front office, as well.

3 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

12 games into the seaso and just because we have a bad stretch it’s time to fold? We are 6-6 so be patient 

Well, Ron presented the idea.

It just doesn't make any sense AT ALL.   You're not going to get full value for anyone besides Anderson or Giolito anyway (perhaps Cease).   And executing those trades right now would be known as White Flag 2, except that team was 3 1/2 games behind a GREAT Indians' team and treading water.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, Ron presented the idea.

It just doesn't make any sense AT ALL.   You're not going to get full value for anyone besides Anderson or Giolito anyway (perhaps Cease).   And executing those trades right now would be known as White Flag 2, except that team was 3 1/2 games behind a GREAT Indians' team and treading water.

Exactly correct. All we would be doing is destroying our base

1 hour ago, elrockinMT said:

Exactly correct. All we would be doing is destroying our base

https://www.espn.com/mlb/attendance

And they haven't said anything (Merkin/Boyer) that I have seen publicly, but it really feels like the season ticket base is pretty much the same as last year or even shrank a bit based on the lockout and disappointing roster additions (or lack thereof).

Notice the four AL Central teams congregated together.

Which means that home crowds between now and June will go a long ways towards deciding what financial flexibility (if any) they have at the deadline.

If the weather doesn't improve until mid to late May, you can envision them finishing 12th through 15th...last year was 14th.

Maybe the tremendous price increases across the board are offsetting.   We've basically had only Opening Day and the Hendriks bobblehead doll, but that Friday night crowd against TB was under 20,000, which was a BIT surprising after two consecutive playoff appearances.

14 hours ago, Rowand44 said:

I'm no Hahn apologist as I have my issues with him for sure but at this point I really do wonder how much his hands are tied with some things.  

His hands are always tied with the Reinsdorf group.

They managed to mambo their way to one championship in 40 plus years despite being the only major market team in their division for decades.

Imagine the Sox in the Eastern Division with that ownership....YIKES !

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, GradMc said:

His hands are always tied with the Reinsdorf group.

They managed to mambo their way to one championship in 40 plus years despite being the only major market team in their division for decades.

Imagine the Sox in the Eastern Division with that ownership....YIKES !

The team with the best all-time record in interleague play is the New York Yankees of the AL at 144–102 (.585), followed by the Chicago White Sox at 143–104 (.579). The Miami Marlins holds the NL's best interleague record at 127–107 (.543), followed by the St. Louis Cardinals at 109–96 (.532)

wikipedia

15 minutes ago, hi8is said:

The next person to run a major roster change will not be Hahn.

That’s actually one of the most fascinating future questions for this franchise…it better be an objective outsider for once.

Theo Epstein didn’t even (really) survive a title, three consecutive NLCS, etc.

Edited by caulfield12

20 hours ago, Quin said:

I don't mean trade off the stars for prospects, White Flag 2.0.

I'm talking about moves that force TLR's hand - trading Sheets to get Vaughn out of the platoon, DFAing/bullpenning Keuchel and acquiring a starter (probably same move), anything that gets Leury out of the #3 hole, etc.

I know we're only 11 games in, but after last season and a constantly-reminded-of Hall of Fame career, we know TLR isn't changing his stripes.

Last year was the first time I really saw them move quickly when something wasn’t working. In prior years, they would have let a guy like Eaton ride out the entire season with the team because they paid him good money.  They didn’t even wait until the ASB to DFA him. 

With this in mind, if Keuchel is still underperforming, he’s gone in July or perhaps even sooner. Sox should have enough arms available by then with the returns of Giolito and Lynn as well as Cueto being ready. 

As for other moves of significance, like last season, I don’t see that happening until July at the trade deadline. I think they’ll wait to see what weaknesses present themselves and make a move like they did when they acquired the top reliever at last year’s trade deadline in attempt to address an awful bullpen.

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

The team with the best all-time record in interleague play is the New York Yankees of the AL at 144–102 (.585), followed by the Chicago White Sox at 143–104 (.579). The Miami Marlins holds the NL's best interleague record at 127–107 (.543), followed by the St. Louis Cardinals at 109–96 (.532)

wikipedia

So basically the Sox would be the Cardinals if they played in the NL Central! Continually building a team to dominate the NL lol.

9 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

So basically the Sox would be the Cardinals if they played in the NL Central! Continually building a team to dominate the NL lol.

It’s the LaRussa Legacy!  Cardinals Way!  Well, unless your manager (Schildt) is a bit too racist and curses too much for even Missourians.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

That’s actually one of the most fascinating future questions for this franchise…it better be an objective outsider for once.

Theo Epstein didn’t even (really) survive a title, three consecutive NLCS, etc.

Remember when there were people saying the results the Cubs had after their rebuild wouldn’t be good enough for the Sox?  Good times.

There is a lot more to the Cards history and legacy than TLR.
I have two primary teams in my heart - the White Sox and the Cardinals. The Sox side has dreams of achieving the Cards' consistent success. I'm hoping this year isn't just a daydream.

Edited by FoxForce2

2 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Last year was the first time I really saw them move quickly when something wasn’t working. In prior years, they would have let a guy like Eaton ride out the entire season with the team because they paid him good money.  They didn’t even wait until the ASB to DFA him. 

With this in mind, if Keuchel is still underperforming, he’s gone in July or perhaps even sooner. Sox should have enough arms available by then with the returns of Giolito and Lynn as well as Cueto being ready. 

As for other moves of significance, like last season, I don’t see that happening until July at the trade deadline. I think they’ll wait to see what weaknesses present themselves and make a move like they did when they acquired the top reliever at last year’s trade deadline in attempt to address an awful bullpen.

Cueto is a temporary band-aid at best.  Just wait for late May and June starts with the jet stream blowing out at G-Rate.

6 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

That’s all they need if the other four are healthy. A temporary band aid in the fifth spot until they get to October.

Problem is the other four all staying healthy.  And Kopech is going to need major workload management come July/August.  So really, Cueto isn't enough to get them throguh this season even if the unlikely event Gio, Lynn and Cease don't hit the IL again (or in Cease's case, for the first time). 

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Problem is the other four all staying healthy.  And Kopech is going to need major workload management come July/August.  So really, Cueto isn't enough to get them throguh this season even if the unlikely event Gio, Lynn and Cease don't hit the IL again (or in Cease's case, for the first time). 

That’s what the trade deadline is for. If they need it.

If this keeps up, someone at least has to try to fire Tony.  They aren't just losing.  They aren't just injured.  They are playing terrible fundamental baseball right now.  It was the one thing he was supposed to bring to this team, and it looks no different than what everyone used to scream at Ricky about.  Here we are about 170 regular season games, plus a few post season ones later, and this team hasn't improved at all.

If it goes another month like this, SOMEONE has to have their head chopped off.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

If this keeps up, someone at least has to try to fire Tony.  They aren't just losing.  They aren't just injured.  They are playing terrible fundamental baseball right now.  It was the one thing he was supposed to bring to this team, and it looks no different than what everyone used to scream at Ricky about.  Here we are about 170 regular season games, plus a few post season ones later, and this team hasn't improved at all.

If it goes another month like this, SOMEONE has to have their head chopped off.

How much does JR want to win vs. how much JR wants to win doing it his way?  I agree with what you are saying, but I have zero belief it happens.

2 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

That’s what the trade deadline is for. If they need it.

I would think Lopez is a also an option or may even be rated higher than Cueto. We will see him vs MLB as opposed to MILB