Moncada + Grandal

WBWSF

1 hour ago, KrankinSox said:

Can someone who is better than me at looking this stuff up post the production we have from LHH this year? Moncada and Grandal are both essential parts of giving us a balanced lineup against RHP, as they both switch hit. Their production has been dog shit. Sheets is also dog shit. Reese McGuire and Leury also hit from the left hand side of plate...also dog shit.

Our production from LHH plate appearances has to be complete dog shit.

What if I told you it’s the worst in over 100 years in baseball

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Can someone who is better than me at looking this stuff up post the production we have from LHH this year? Moncada and Grandal are both essential parts of giving us a balanced lineup against RHP, as they both switch hit. Their production has been dog shit. Sheets is also dog shit. Reese McGuire and Leury also hit from the left hand side of plate...also dog shit.

They have a .185/.236/.271/.507 line from all their LH bats combined this year.

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

What if I told you it’s the worst in over 100 years in baseball

It's historically bad because of how bad Grandal and McGuire have been. Sheets hasn't been good either, but his OPS is at least over .600. 

I'd like to add that I hope I'm proven wrong.  Maybe the excuses for Yoan are legit. 2020 was a weird year with short schedule and him getting covid. 2021 he was pretty good, not great, but solid enough. This year he did get injured.  Maybe he turns it around and becomes 2019 Yoan again. I'm not optimistic at all that it will happen but god damn I'd love to see it. We need it.

The ship has sailed for me.   He's no longer a cheap commodity.

2022 $13 million 

2023 $17 million

2024 $24 million + $5 million to buy out 2025 ($25 million)

I have to get more than a good glove and walks for those Salary #s 

• Like 2

It seems like every year we have threads questioning players' fundamental ability to hit after, say, 50 at bats. 

I don't know why Moncada has a particularly short leash with this board, but it seems he does. 

Yoan currently has a .194 BABIP. That will change.  

He also has a 111 career OPS+. By comparison, Ron Kittle had a 110 OPS+.  

Yoan also has generated 3.71 WAR per 162 games.

Also - for those saying that the defense is propping his stats up - did you know that Anderson has a higher defensive RWAR per 162 than Moncada does? 

I just don't understand why people can't seem to see he is a great player.   

1 minute ago, Greg Hibbard said:

It seems like every year we have threads questioning players' fundamental ability to hit after, say, 50 at bats. 

I don't know why Moncada has a particularly short leash with this board, but it seems he does. 

Also - for those saying that the defense is propping his stats up - did you know that Anderson has a higher defensive RWAR per 162 than Moncada does? 

This.  Yoan can be frustrating to watch because he looks like he doesn't care.  He's been pretty rough at the plate this year in a very SSS, and yes - his contract is getting expensive.  However, he'll be fine.  We certainly aren't improving on him anytime soon.  

1 minute ago, Harry Chappas said:

If they are going to pretend that Harrison is an option, why not give Matt Carpenter a shot, bat him 9th and play him every day for a couple of weeks and pray for the best.  He only has to be historically bad to fit right in. 

I thought the same when I saw he was released. He was hitting at AAA.

3 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

He's not a great player, stop it. 😂

Same way some of us go over the top with hate towards him, calling him "great" is way off the other end. 

And the reason he has a short leash amongst Sox fans is due to expectations.   He was the #1 prospect and was traded for arguably the best starting pitcher in the AL at the time.  The expectation was greatness.   He is way too inconsistent to be great.   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Same way some of us go over the top with hate towards him, calling him "great" is way off the other end. 

And the reason he has a short leash amongst Sox fans is due to expectations.   He was the #1 prospect and was traded for arguably the best starting pitcher in the AL at the time.  The expectation was greatness.   He is way too inconsistent to be great.   

Bingo. 

Moncada has had one great season, one average one and one above average one in the last 3 years. He's about to be paid for his 2019 production and we haven't seen that since. 

I give Moncada shit because I keep waiting for the 2019 guy to show up again and he doesn't. At this point, I'd take 2021 again but the walks have evaporated. 

Does anyone else remember how lost he looked in ST? This isn't particularly surprising. He hasn't looked this bad since being traded to the Sox. 

I still believe he can be a good player, but still waiting for results at this point. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 hours ago, KrankinSox said:

Right, dog shit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Sox original ask was Moncada, Kopech and Devers.  Boston talked them into a couple of tier 2 players instead of Devers to get the deal done.

It's funny, a Red Sox fan and friend of mine told me when the trade happened that he didn't care about losing Moncada, he thought that Basabe was the sleeper in the deal and didn't like losing Kopech either.

He was right on Kopech but not Basabe, as for me I've never been a fan of Moncada.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Out of curiosity, what do you think of these stats for an MLB player: 2270 at bats, .281/.308/.456/.764 by age 27. 

Moncada's stats are 2063 ABS, .258/.343/.435/.777 by age 27. 

Edited by Greg Hibbard

3 hours ago, KrankinSox said:

It's a fair point but there always seems to be an excuse for Moncada. He has a nice floor in terms of WAR because of his defense and ability to draw walks. But he is just not a consistent hitter, he doesn't have consistent power production, and has a career 28 stolen bases for a guy that was supposed to be a base stealer based on his ability to do it in the minors.

Moncada has had an underwhelming career compared to his expectations. it's a shame we didn't manage to land Devers/Kopech from Boston for Sale.

I just looked at Moncada's sprint speed and it's 37% meaning 63% of all MB players are above him. That's based on this year though and it's not like they have a big sample to measure. However I think the days of looking at him as a stolen base guy are long gone.

I was hoping for a little bounce back for him this year. Maybe get the slugging % up to .450 but so far that looks remote.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Out of curiosity, what do you think of these stats for an MLB player: 2270 at bats, .281/.308/.456/.764 by age 27. 

Moncada's stats are 2063 ABS, .258/.343/.435/.777 by age 27. 

Neither are "great", and we needed Moncada to be great and consistent by the age of 25 when there was value to that contract.    Assuming player A above (whoever it is) eventually got great at say age 29-30 what good does that do for the White Sox right now for this championship window? 

And Moncada's stats above include a spectacular 2019 season which clearly is starting to look like a complete anomaly.  

Edited by HOFHurt35

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

Grandal probably hopes the shift gets abandoned soon and Moncada probably hopes there's robot umps. Both guys would be studs at that point.

Moncada still has a ton of swing and miss in his game. Don't think Robo umps will help him. He has to help himself. He just looks pitiful right now.