Fire Tony Chant

Texsox

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

If only Jose Ramirez used to play for the Cardinals, he would have intentionally walked him

Well he did, later in the game, on the same 0-1 count. Because you're not in trouble in an 0-1 count when you're down 2 runs, but when you're down 4 runs, that's the time your pitcher gets one pitch to get him out and if he throws a strike you punish him.

Wait.
What the Hell.
This is no longer even readable. 

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

Just for grins, I did a little research.  Since becoming a fan of the WS in the mid-1950s, there have been 17 managers not counting the fill-in guys that finished up a season or something short-term.  Only 5 of those guys were "liked" by me.  I'm not referring to their win/loss records...just how well I "liked" their style of managing.  My current choice would be  to see Jirschele get a chance.

My guesses:

Al Lopez, Chuck Tanner, Jeff Torborg, Gene Lamont, Ozzie Guillen.

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

Just for grins, I did a little research.  Since becoming a fan of the WS in the mid-1950s, there have been 17 managers not counting the fill-in guys that finished up a season or something short-term.  Only 5 of those guys were "liked" by me.  I'm not referring to their win/loss records...just how well I "liked" their style of managing.  My current choice would be  to see Jirschele get a chance.

Only an organization like the White Sox can fire a manager, Bob Lemon, into his second season (in 1978, after the South Side Hit Men) and have him wind up a World Series Champion that same season.

Bob Lemon led the New York Yankees to their 1978 World Series title after George fired Billy Martin (52-42 at the time of his firing).

58 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Well he did, later in the game, on the same 0-1 count. Because you're not in trouble in an 0-1 count when you're down 2 runs, but when you're down 4 runs, that's the time your pitcher gets one pitch to get him out and if he throws a strike you punish him.

Wait.
What the Hell.
This is no longer even readable. 

Wait - he walked him on an 0-1 count?  Did something happen where the force out or something else was no longer in play (I clearly didn't watch the game).  Are we going to hear about what the analytics told TLR to do in that situation - is he just a great 0-1 hitter? 

5 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Only an organization like the White Sox can fire a manager, Bob Lemon, into his second season (in 1978, after the South Side Hit Men) and have him wind up a World Series Champion that same season.

Bob Lemon led the New York Yankees to their 1978 World Series title after George fired Billy Martin (52-42 at the time of his firing).

Not to mention letting Terry Francona, Jim Leyland and Dombrowski all go.

• TLR 1

6 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Wait - he walked him on an 0-1 count?  Did something happen where the force out or something else was no longer in play (I clearly didn't watch the game).  Are we going to hear about what the analytics told TLR to do in that situation - is he just a great 0-1 hitter? 

ramirez is good on all counts, but yeah, no. No SB or anything. just walked him after the first pitch.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Not to mention letting Terry Francona, Jim Leyland and Dombrowski all go.

And Chuck Tanner leading the Pittsburgh Pirates to a World Series Title four years after leaving. 

The White Sox finished 73-87 that season.

Also firing Larry Himes who built the 1990s core, the only sustained success since the 1950s-1960s over the past three generations. Of course Jerry sabotaged that with the 1994 cancellation to break the union, and subsequent White Flag Trade.

12 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

He had a 2 RBI single on an 0-1 count earlier in the game with first base open. TLR did not walk him in that situation. He got an 0-1 count next at bat with a guy on 2nd and then TLR walked him. The first pitch he fouled off, so he could have had the RBI on that swing? Nothing changed during that at bat other than the foul ball. TLR did not walk him, got an 0-1 count, and said “nope!” After doing the opposite earlier In the same game. This is a real thing.

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

He had a 2 RBI single on an 0-1 count earlier in the game with first base open. TLR did not walk him in that situation. He got an 0-1 count next at bat with a guy on 2nd and then TLR walked him. The first pitch he fouled off, so he could have had the RBI on that swing? Nothing changed during that at bat other than the foul ball. TLR did not walk him, got an 0-1 count, and said “nope!” After doing the opposite earlier In the same game. This is a real thing.

You only need to look at the numbers on the back of the baseball card to know challenging him when he's in the process of breaking out of a cold streak is ill-advised.  Don't need that evidence provided by that one swing to confirm.

25 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Go to the game thread and listen to the tv call on Twitter, second to last page, Stone calls him out.  

Just watched it. stone is dumb founded and Jason gets a jab in too. This is just embarrassing. Seriously. We need to stop following. Stop going to games. Send a message to the old buzzard in charge. What a clown show HOLY FUCK. SO EMBARRASSED TO BE A FUCKING SOX FAN!!! This is worse than that jabroni bevington making the pitching change with no one warming. Just how is the players fault now? Who would wanna be here and play for this laughing stock of an org...😞😒😒😒😒

• TLR 1

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

Tony is such a gigantic asshole for blaming Martin for not pitching around Ramirez 

I would ask if this is real, but I have no reason to doubt it.

We have a manager and a pitching coach to tell the rookie SP what to do, but it is the rookies fault.  What a fucking coward Tony LaRussa is.

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Spumoni said:

The piling on is becoming overwhelming.  I doubt he'd ever get fired as opposed to the front office bump, but staying in the dugout is starting to look untenable at this point.

The thing is, he's waited too long to make any FO bump or "health reasons" move look like anything BUT a weak cover-up for getting fired.

Everyone in baseball is watching this situation now and sees how big of a trainwreck it is. We all know he needs to go, and now he's missed his opportunity to leave with dignity.

And frankly, I don't care about his dignity, just get him out. Fuck 'em.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1