What to do with Abreu?

Jack Parkman

Re-sign Abreu?   

62 members have voted

1. 1. Re-sign Abreu?

• Yes
    • No

Just now, oldsox said:

What could we get for him this month? His departure would solve a couple of immediate problems.

The Cubs traded away Rizzo last year and the guy they got for him is in their top 10 prospects on MLB.com, although he’s like 18 and down at A ball. 

If traded, Jose will bring a decent enough talent, nothing that reshapes the system, but either a guy who is MLB ready and could contribute or who will fit somewhere in our top 15 if he’s a bit younger. With the NL DH, there should be several options that work for him if they agree to move him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Hahn is too scared to trade anyone off the bottom of this shit roster but he's going to trade the guy who's leading in just about every offensive category.  :lolhitting

The manager needs to be traded.  I hate the idea of losing player because of a manager that isn't right for this team.

On 7/5/2022 at 11:34 AM, kitekrazy said:

History proves you wrong.  Keep riding that train. It still hasn't been able to just over those cliffs.

Who are the lefties the Sox got who were supposed to be any good from the NL ? You can't just act like you're getting AA ball players from the NL . Sox just Sox at picking good ones.

10 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

im picturing our offense without abreu...

yikes

ya you have to resign him for another year or two if you are still trying to win now.

I’m picturing the white Sox defense if Vaughn plays LF for next year, and our LF is putting up like a .900 OPS and a 1 WAR season because his defense fully offsets his offense. The same guy is an all star if he’s a DH.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I’m picturing the white Sox defense if Vaughn plays LF for next year, and our LF is putting up like a .900 OPS and a 1 WAR season because his defense fully offsets his offense. The same guy is an all star if he’s a DH.

Alvarez Ohtani JD Martinez might disagree...

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=dh&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=6&season=2022&month=0&season1=2022&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2022-01-01&enddate=2022-12-31

26 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I sorted by LF. Alvarez was included in this. Alvarez, admittedly, is outperforming Vaughn offensively, but his DH penalty is less than Vaughn's OF defense penalty. On top of that, Vaughn needs to be better offensively, like tonight. He needs to be so pissed that he ignores the advice he's getting to hit the ball on the ground the other way, and make the mistake of pulling the ball in the air for home runs.  

Both of those have to do with coaching.  Vaughn cannot be a LF, he is uniquely bad out there - worse than Alvarez! and Somehow, his coaches are making his offense worse than his competition. 

Vaughn.jpg

• Like 1

Just keep Abreu and dump some other guys. It's not that difficult. It'd be typical 2022 maneuver to get rid of the one guy on the team who cares the most and still is a decent player. Just treat him as untouchable and build from there.

Keep Abreu and continue to platoon him with Vaughn at 1B / DH until Abreu retires.

JR is never going to allow Abreu to be traded because his character is exemplary, he always gives 100% and he is basically the captain of this team.

Abreu has quietly reassumed his role as the best hitter on the team.

If the Sox had more guys like Jose Abreu, instead of wannabes like Yoan Moncada, Eloy Jimenez, and Yasmani Grandal -- all of whom seem always hurt or just plain incompetent -- the Sox would be in first place.  

• Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 9:57 PM, Balta1701 said:

I don't see Vaughn being able to handle 1B as a regular. He's a DH, as is Eloy, Sheets, Burger, and with Robo umpires eliminating framing, Grandal.

2 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I don't see Vaughn being able to handle 1B as a regular. He's a DH, as is Eloy, Sheets, Burger, and with Robo umpires eliminating framing, Grandal.

He made a very good catch the other night against the Twins.  He’s not the tall, left-handed target with long wingspan you might prefer, but he would be fine over there if he got reacclimatized to playing the position on a consistent basis.