If the Sox trade for Juan Soto we have a chance.

Jerksticks

5 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

This is so frustrating.  I wonder if Hahn and Co even know who Soto is.  Maybe they don't watch NL games or interleague games, or all star games, or read anything about baseball.  Ignorance is the only reason to not be in on acquiring one of the best players in the game that clearly fit a need and your teams competitive window.  

Hard to trade for him when you have one of the worst farm systems and absolutely no shot at extending him

• Like 1
  • TLR 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Hard to trade for him when you have one of the worst farm systems and absolutely no shot at extending him

Neither of those things are the point at all.  Extending him doesn't matter.  You'd still have him for 3 playoff runs.  And you could make due with the bad farm system.  They have good young controllable talent on the team they could trade.  

And even if you don't get him, fine whatever, other teams clearly have better farm systems and if you don't matchup with a package around Eloy or Vaughn, then you don't matchup.  

But there is no excuse for not trying.  Make it hurt the Dodgers or Yanks or Cards a bit more.  Try to get the best young hitter in the game?  "nah, it'll be too hard" is a BS excuse.  

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

BA org rankings of the teams in the running:

Which three teams do you view as the favorites to trade for Soto?

Padres 8 (21st in BA)
Dodgers 7 (7th)
Cardinals 3 (18th)
Mariners 3 (1st)
Mets 3 (16th)
Rays 3 (2nd)
Yankees 3 (11th)
Giants 2 (17th)
Blue Jays (19th)
Brewers (25th)
Cubs (15th)
Rangers (9th)
Red Sox (11th)

Has nothing to do with farm rankings and everything to do with which orgs aren't run by cowards.

• Like 2
  • Fire 2

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Look if the Nats want Colas a primary, or even secondary, piece in a trade, you drive him to the airport happily.  Even if he hits his absolute potential, he will never be Juan Soto.  Never.

Totally.  And all you did was pay a few million bucks for Soto in that case.  

I wonder if the Sox draw the line at the Cuban guys though.  I could see them not wanting to damage that pipeline. 

13 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Look if the Nats want Colas a primary, or even secondary, piece in a trade, you drive him to the airport happily.  Even if he hits his absolute potential, he will never be Juan Soto.  Never.

You could probably say the same thing about Montgomery and Vaughn. 

As long as they're not trading key players like Kopech and Robert, I'm fine with it. 

Vaughn, Montgomery, Colas, Vera couldn't care less. 

Everyone is pretty much off the books in 2025 anyway, so just go get Soto and go for it the next few years. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

21 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

I forget, is he the one where the buscone reportedly showed up waving a gun around when the Sox were going to sign him?  Marte maybe?  

I like the story about the pitcher the Sox were going to sign, but some guy was hiding behind a tree and signed him for the Astros instead.  F%&$ing Astros.

2 hours ago, turnin' two said:

Yeah no doubt.  I am in no rush to trade Vaughn, or even talk about him.  But for Soto?  Yeah.  In that case I'd trade him.

I guess to be more clear, talent wise I don't have an issue trading Vaughn. But team construction wise, I feel like our offensive production doesn't improve as greatly as if we can stack multiple 130 wRC+ guys and a 150 wRC+ guy in Soto (Abreu, Vaughn, Robert). Needs a lot more heavy lifting.

BUT, I also get it. Vaughn has no positional value. THis at least gives us a tolerable outfielder who absolute mashes RHP. Team construction is much better. But our budget will be maxed and farm cleaned out. With vaughn I just feel like we would have such a good offense with the following

AND HEY IF YOU ARE SOMEONE READING STILL WHO IS GONNA SAY "THIS ISN"T HAPPENING" just leave this is good stuff here

Lineup of 
SS Anderson (120 wRC+)
CF Robert (126 wRC+)
RF Soto (156 wRC+)
1B Abreu (147 wRC+)
DH Vaughn (129 wRC+)
C Grandal (like 10, not even looking it up)
LF Jimenez (like 80 i think)
3B Yoan Moncada (76 ish)
2b JOSH HARRISON (93)

so when you remove Vaughn you are bumping in Pollock, and after that en fuego first 4, you have a lot of bounce back candidates but still a pretty shit back half for 2022 so far anyway.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harry Chappas said:

Robert, Colas, Kopech, Crochet  and the guy the brought up for a cup of coffee whose name escapes me.

I love Robert but he is too injury prone. 

Thank God you aren’t in the drivers seat. 😆