If the Sox trade for Juan Soto we have a chance.

Jerksticks

8 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Athletic had an article outlining potential trade packages and threw out Eloy, Vaughn, Montgomery, Colas, & Vera for the Sox.  They then said that wouldn’t be enough and a package would need to start with Cease & Robert.  I think we can safely close this thread.

No team is going to give up All-Star major leaguers for Soto. It's not really even worth discussing anyway as the Sox aren't going to extend him. Only real suitors are the NY/LA teams.

The Nats won't get near what the writers suggest, unless a team has agreed to an extension with him.  Without that, he's still a 2-playoff season rent.  Sensible teams just don't push all their chips in for 2 seasons (or even more) of hope.   And even with an extension, I think the packages will turn out a big lighter; yea the Nats can hold him until December, but the return will be adjusted considerably, so they don't have that much leverage.

4 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

The Nats won't get near what the writers suggest, unless a team has agreed to an extension with him.  Without that, he's still a 2-playoff season rent.  Sensible teams just don't push all their chips in for 2 seasons (or even more) of hope.   And even with an extension, I think the packages will turn out a big lighter; yea the Nats can hold him until December, but the return will be adjusted considerably, so they don't have that much leverage.

I think a lot of the proposed packages are neglecting the fact that he's not signed  to a team friendly deal and whatever team is signing him is putting down a half billion dollars. They see Soto and just put down the winning deal.

1 hour ago, kitekrazy said:

I wouldn't be surprised if nothing happens.

As in you think he plays out his contract and walks as a FA or nothing happens this season? If he isn't resigning, he will absolutely be traded eventually.

10 minutes ago, Hang Wiffem said:

I don't understand this tweet. Does he mean older?

All of the players in the futures game are younger than me, and I have not yet been offered half a billion dollars.

lol

5 hours ago, Quin said:

I think a lot of the proposed packages are neglecting the fact that he's not signed  to a team friendly deal and whatever team is signing him is putting down a half billion dollars. They see Soto and just put down the winning deal.

Fegan's comment that vaughn/eloy + colson etc not being near the ballpark is silly. We, as a fanbase, learned a lot with Sale. Yeah, by WAR, by contract, etc, it's hard to hit that value. But teams aren't going to trade so much that having Soto just makes them the new Nationals. 

That said, I think we see it be an offseason trade where rosters can better align to handle the package. A top ten prospect will exchange hands. Maybe 2 more top 100 prospects. Several non-bullshit prospects in the teams top 20 will go. 

But they can't send multiple mlb ready prospects plus their top 5. It just literally becomes not worth it even though he is the best player in baseball. And all teams have to do to know that is look to the magic kingdom.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

Fegan's comment that vaughn/eloy + colson etc not being near the ballpark is silly. We, as a fanbase, learned a lot with Sale. Yeah, by WAR, by contract, etc, it's hard to hit that value. But teams aren't going to trade so much that having Soto just makes them the new Nationals. 

That said, I think we see it be an offseason trade where rosters can better align to handle the package. A top ten prospect will exchange hands. Maybe 2 more top 100 prospects. Several non-bullshit prospects in the teams top 20 will go. 

But they can't send multiple mlb ready prospects plus their top 5. It just literally becomes not worth it even though he is the best player in baseball. And all teams have to do to know that is look to the magic kingdom.

baseballthinkfactory had a good discussion on it. he's worth maybe like one top 50 guy and then one average regular. The Sox could easily get him for Colson and Vaughn and a couple lotto tickets. Thing is, does that make the Sox better the next 5 years? Maybe. But I'm not sure. Certainly not if they don't resign him.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Vaughn, Eloy, and Montgomery not being in the ballpark is definitely silly.

If money was no obstacle and the White Sox would sign Soto to the extension he seeks, I would have no problem trading them Vaughn, Eloy, and Montgomery.

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

baseballthinkfactory had a good discussion on it. he's worth maybe like one top 50 guy and then one average regular. The Sox could easily get him for Colson and Vaughn and a couple lotto tickets. Thing is, does that make the Sox better the next 5 years? Maybe. But I'm not sure. Certainly not if they don't resign him.

If Soto is here for those 5 years, yes it does. If he is here for 2 years and then on another team, ouch.

45 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Eloy, Colson ++ and we’re on.

The problem with a Soto trade is that Soto has not named his contract price to the Nationals, and is unlikely to name his price to any team he is traded to.  He's a Boras client and when Boras wants his player to establish his value in free agency, he just waits until free agency.  Soto doesn't give a crap whether that hurts the Nats return on a trade.  Why should he?  

So any team trading for Soto this year is getting 2.5 years of production and the opportunity to be among the teams bidding for his services when he's a free agent.  Now even 2.5 years of Soto has value, but it doesn't have nearly the value that is being projected.  

That being said, the Nats should get the most value shipping him out this year, because it's an extra pennant race for the buyer.  Every day they wait, their return is likely to decline.  

Also, since the Nats are TERRIBLE - worst team in baseball - they don't really want players already in the majors who will be needlessly using up their major league service time on a bad club.  

The deal has to be for controllable minor league talent.  

If the Sox were to bid, they don't have much in the minors, but they could certainly give the Nats their choice of 3 "top-10" guys plus 2-3 more lower level guys.  For example, Montgomery, Colas, and Vera, plus 2-3 lower level guys.  If I were the Sox, I would make that trade in a heartbeat.  It's doubtful the Nats would take it.  

Edited by VAfan

9 minutes ago, VAfan said:

The problem with a Soto trade is that Soto has not named his contract price to the Nationals, and is unlikely to name his price to any team he is traded to.  He's a Boras client and when Boras wants his player to establish his value in free agency, he just waits until free agency.  Soto doesn't give a crap whether that hurts the Nats return on a trade.  Why should he?  

So any team trading for Soto this year is getting 2.5 years of production and the opportunity to be among the teams bidding for his services when he's a free agent.  Now even 2.5 years of Soto has value, but it doesn't have nearly the value that is being projected.  

That being said, the Nats should get the most value shipping him out this year, because it's an extra pennant race for the buyer.  Every day they wait, their return is likely to decline.  

Also, since the Nats are TERRIBLE - worst team in baseball - they don't really want players already in the majors who will be needlessly using up their major league service time on a bad club.  

The deal has to be for controllable minor league talent.  

If the Sox were to bid, they don't have much in the minors, but they could certainly give the Nats their choice of 3 "top-10" guys plus 2-3 more lower level guys.  For example, Montgomery, Colas, and Vera, plus 2-3 lower level guys.  If I were the Sox, I would make that trade in a heartbeat.  It's doubtful the Nats would take it.  

This is my fear, too.  Our best top-level assets are ML-ready types like Vaughn/Eloy, etc.  If they're not interested in one of those guys I don't think we have the minor league talent to compete with other suitors.

16 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Athletic had an article outlining potential trade packages and threw out Eloy, Vaughn, Montgomery, Colas, & Vera for the Sox.  They then said that wouldn’t be enough and a package would need to start with Cease & Robert.  I think we can safely close this thread.

For 2 seasons of Soto at monster arb numbers? Lol Nats fans gonna be disappointed in the ultimate return…

Edited by ChiSox59

If he really is looking for 45 million a season for a long term deal, that eliminates somewhere between 25 to 28 teams as trade partners, because no chance they give away thatuch talent for the short term.  The extreme trade price only exists if there is real trade competition. 

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

If he really is looking for 45 million a season for a long term deal, that eliminates somewhere between 25 to 28 teams as trade partners, because no chance they give away thatuch talent for the short term.  The extreme trade price only exists if there is real trade competition. 

Mets

Dodgers

Yankees

Padres

Angels (for Ohtani)

Cubs don’t make much sense in their situation…and Red Sox are in between right now and will likely be losing Bogaerts.

Mariners/Rangers/Orioles interesting “all chips in/compete now” choices.

Edited by caulfield12

6 hours ago, Hang Wiffem said:

I don't understand this tweet. Does he mean older?

All of the players in the futures game are younger than me, and I have not yet been offered half a billion dollars.

Oscar Colas is about 3 months older than Soto so he isn't one of the 12 younger. 50 players selected for 2 squads for the Future Stars Game. 38 are older than Soto.