2023 MLB Draft thread

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I wonder if UCLA got cholowsky

Keith law had him in his, as did BA. 

He was also going to be a starter, and had been in the summer and fall before blowing it out in the spring (winter?)

Ranked 102 and higher in 3 list I looked at. 

Edited by Soxfest

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What’s the slot value of this pick?

Looks like $1.66M…so maybe there is a chance he’s a slightly under-slot signing.  I would actually love this type of pick in the 3rd round, but for whatever reason I expect a bit more floor than this in the 2nd.  Obviously there is real upside here, but it’s a pretty risky profile based on the scouting reports and short clips I’ve seen of him.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don’t really like the injured pitcher picks. We’ve had quite a few of the 10% who don’t work out so we’ll after surgery. I’m sure he’ll fine but it’s just not my thing.

Oh yeah I get it.  In fantasy baseball and prospects I've started to lean towards wanting guys that have already had the surgery bc let's face it, SPs nowadays are gonna have to get it at some point in their career.  With the Sox I kinda don't mind that same approach.  I think its gonna benefit development if they don't have to interrupt that once with the Sox 

Apologies if I missed these guys getting take. But for round 3 would like to see wolklow and detmers not go to Sox. I’d like to see them succeed very much.

I would be cool with Brice matthews or getting one or hunter Owen/Whitman (haven’t seen the last pick of round 2)

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Apologies if I missed these guys getting take. But for round 3 would like to see wolklow and detmers not go to Sox. I’d like to see them succeed very much.

I would be cool with Brice matthews or getting one or hunter Owen/Whitman (haven’t seen the last pick of round 2)

Didn’t Matthews go in the 1st?

The rankings take into account the upside. And the rankings say he’s a late third.  Just a lot of risk for what was one good cape summer and one big injury.  Unless they cut a pre-draft deal, there’s no underslot here with the way LSU operates.

Edited by GreenSox

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

The rankings take into account the upside. And the rankings say he’s a late third.  Just a lot of risk for what was one good cape summer and one big injury.  Unless they cut a pre-draft deal, there’s no one to slide here with the way LSU operates.

They do and they dont. 

2 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

The rankings take into account the upside. And the rankings say he’s a late third.  Just a lot of risk for what was one good cape summer and one big injury.  Unless they cut a pre-draft deal, there’s no underslot here with the way LSU operates.

That's why the Twins' pitching coach left for LSU last year...it was basically a promotion, and it certainly was from a financial standpoint.

Has done nothing since but enhance that previous reputation.

Who wants to be in the AL Central?

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

Wolkow needs to be a Sox.  Yeah I'd love for him to be an MLB star but it would be so much better if it were for the Sox.  

• bmags unpinned this topic