Fire Rick Hahn

Chicago White Sox

On 6/27/2023 at 4:57 PM, Tony said:

I’d be surprised if there IS a Soxfest next season. If they didn’t want to face the music after going .500…why would they be open to it after this dumpster fire?

I would guess Soxfest is a thing of the past, much like many perks they used to give season ticket holders, that were eliminated using the pandemic as an excuse. They did have season ticket holder appreciation events this year, where season tickeholders could buy more tickets to attend their “appreciation” activities. I think Soxfest is going the way of the Edsel.

31 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I would guess Soxfest is a thing of the past, much like many perks they used to give season ticket holders, that were eliminated using the pandemic as an excuse. They did have season ticket holder appreciation events this year, where season tickeholders could buy more tickets to attend their “appreciation” activities. I think Soxfest is going the way of the Edsel.

I don’t think the Edsel was a useful marketing tool liked because management didn’t feel they should have to take questions.

32 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I think SoxFest will be back.  I think they were just cowards and didn’t want to be criticized for a shitty 2022 season.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think SoxFest will be back.  I think they were just cowards and didn’t want to be criticized for a shitty 2022 season.

How will 2023 be any different, with this season being far worse than 2022?

2 hours ago, Tony said:

How will 2023 be any different, with this season being far worse than 2022?

Honestly, I think it all came down to Jerry not wanting to give Sox fans a forum to rip his BFF Tony.  When I reached out to Brooks Boyer and accused the org of being cowards for not hosting SoxFest, he responded that “The traditional SoxFest did not make sense for us this year.”  He didn’t go into the specifics on the why and denied it had anything to with being afraid to answer questions, but the “this year” part of the comment stuck with me.  We’ve had tough years before and never skipped a SoxFest.  Maybe I’m wrong, but I really think Jerry made the call to protect Tony.

There have only been two seasons with more losses through June 30 than this season. The worst was of course also led by Rick Hahn

The other by Larry Himes who built the early 1990s "multi-championship contention window" closed by Jerry in 1994 when he cancelled a potential White Sox vs. Expos World Series.

Most White Sox Losses through June 30th (1901-2023):

1. 54 2018 (Rich Hahn)
  2. 50 1989 (Larry Himes)
  3. 48 2023 (Rick Hahn); 1998 (Ron Schueler); 1970 (Ed Short)
  • Ed Short was fired in September.
  • Larry Himes was fired one year later.
  • Ron Schueler was fired two years later.
  • Rick Hahn is here five years later, with no signs he is going anywhere.

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

There have only been two seasons with more losses through June 30 than this season. The worst was of course also led by Rick Hahn

The other by Larry Himes who built the early 1990s "multi-championship contention window" closed by Jerry in 1994 when he cancelled a potential White Sox vs. Expos World Series.

Most White Sox Losses through June 30th (1901-2023):

1. 54 2018 (Rich Hahn)
  2. 50 1989 (Larry Himes)
  3. 48 2023 (Rick Hahn); 1998 (Ron Schueler); 1970 (Ed Short)
  • Ed Short was fired in September.
  • Larry Himes was fired one year later.
  • Ron Schueler was fired two years later.
  • Rick Hahn is here five years later, with no signs he is going anywhere.

Which was one of the most exciting seasons for Sox fans in nearly a decade...the 1990 team in the final season of Old Comiskey.

That Himes firing had absolutely zero to do with performance and all to do with personality clashes.

Edited by caulfield12

I know I anger some with my love for Oz and desire for him to be manager again, but have any of you seen his takes lately on Sox issues? I was doing a twitter search for ozzie guillen and got a lot of clips from the pregame and postgame shows.

He was hilarious blasting Lance Lynn for ripping the Angels player for bunting. He said Lynn 'looked like a 105 year old man' trying to field the bunt, lol. ... Oz said he'd go 3-for-4 vs. Lynn when he was a player cause he'd bunt. ... He also commented on running for mayor in some suburb and was hilarious about being the only Latin family there and needing more Latin folks to move there and vote for him. ... Also he wanted TA down in the order. He's not afraid of insulting pedro and yet he's not ruthless about it.

Refreshing. I see no harm in making him interim for the rest of the season. If it gets dicey again fire him back to the postgame show.

Edited by greg775

If Hahn is tasked with selling, or blowing it up as some here say, there is no telling how much more damage he can do to the fan base. Instead of being mired in mediocrity, the Sox might be perpetually stuck in the muck with bottom dwelling teams.  Sox cannot afford to wave the white flag. Instead, try to make some changes that might make the team better this year.

• Fire 1

53 minutes ago, tray said:

If Hahn is tasked with selling, or blowing it up as some here say, there is no telling how much more damage he can do to the fan base. Instead of being mired in mediocrity, the Sox might be perpetually stuck in the muck with bottom dwelling teams.  Sox cannot afford to wave the white flag. Instead, try to make some changes that might make the team better this year.

This will be difficult without trading the likes of Giolito and other high earners with short time left on contracts, and once you do that you might as well do a rebuild.

Also there is virtually no point trying to improve the current team because even if by some miracle of mediocrity in the Central Division they scraped into the play offs they would be beaten in the first round anyway. I agree that Hahn supervising another rebuild is an unpleasant thought but as JR is unlikely to sack him we just have to hope that Hahn gets lucky this time (unlikely as that thought is).

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

This will be difficult without trading the likes of Giolito and other high earners with short time left on contracts, and once you do that you might as well do a rebuild.

Also there is virtually no point trying to improve the current team because even if by some miracle of mediocrity in the Central Division they scraped into the play offs they would be beaten in the first round anyway. I agree that Hahn supervising another rebuild is an unpleasant thought but as JR is unlikely to sack him we just have to hope that Hahn gets lucky this time (unlikely as that thought is).

They don’t even have much to trade to even improve the MLB roster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Which was one of the most exciting seasons for Sox fans in nearly a decade...the 1990 team in the final season of Old Comiskey.

That Himes firing had absolutely zero to do with performance and all to do with personality clashes.

Both Ron and Larry were fired after the third (Ron 95 win) and fourth (Larry 94 win) highest win totals during Reinsdorf’s four decades plus stint.

Chalk it up to Jerry’s douchebaggery and preference of cronies over competence. Hence eleven seasons of Rick Hahn.

White Sox Highest Season Win Totals

1. 100 1917 (WS)
  2. 99 19832005 (WS)
  3. 98 1964
  4. 96 1920
  5. 95 1965 & 2000
  6. 94 1954; 1959 (AL); 1963; 1990; 1993

4 hours ago, tray said:

Buddy we are in the muck, mediocrity would have us in first place 

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

19 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I thought like a week or two ago Ozzie spoiled that SoxFest will be back this year and the woman doing the charity "giving Sox" show or whatever it is effectively said on air "I don't think we're supposed to announce that yet".

But since it hasn't been announced, even after Ozzie leaked it, they still have time to keep it cancelled and pretend like it was never coming back this year.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

I thought like a week or two ago Ozzie spoiled that SoxFest will be back this year and the woman doing the charity "giving Sox" show or whatever it is effectively said on air "I don't think we're supposed to announce that yet".

But since it hasn't been announced, even after Ozzie leaked it, they still have time to keep it cancelled and pretend like it was never coming back this year.

If it comes back, I would bet thee is a 99% chance it's in some different form. And the front office won't participate.

21 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Maybe in 2030 as long as they are still in Chicago

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Buddy we are in the muck, mediocrity would have us in first place 

In the Past 24 Hours, the White Sox won 1 game and Luis Robert made the all star team and theres so much excitement among a group of the most loyal white Sox fans that no one has bothered to make a thread about either.

Obviously we need to stay the course, it’s the best way to make there be no fans left. Then we can finally move the team.

3 hours ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Christine O'Reilly-Riordan begins her 35th season with the White Sox and her third as Vice President of Community Relations/Executive Director of Chicago White Sox Charities after being promoted to the position in February 2015.