Trade Rumors Catch-all

Chicago White Sox

16 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

If he comes here and hits, why would he be hated 

Moncada and Grandal had objectively good to great seasons at the plate last year, and about half of the posts I read about them during the season were negative

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Moncada and Grandal had objectively good to great seasons at the plate last year, and about half of the posts I read about them during the season were negative

Yoan Moncada was the #1 prospect in baseball. His expectation level is heightened because of that. 

He had a OPS+ of 116 in 2021 (good) sandwiched between a below average 2020 and so far, a bad 2022 at the plate. Even the good 2021, he only hit 14 HRs. If Yoan Moncada has pleased your expectations for him, then good for you. But I expected more from him when he was acquired. Good, solid player. Has not been the star we all had hoped for.

Grandal started 2021 hitting like .185 until June although he was drawing a ton of walks. There's going to be some fans who get mad about a sub .200 batting average (even if it's not considered too relevant in the modern game, especially if you're drawing walks and hitting for power). He had a monster 2nd half and I don't think there was much complaining about him. He was maybe our best offensive player in the 2nd half. I don't recall a lot of hate about his offense. He also signed a big free agent contract so carries expectations.

Joey Gallo would be coming here with no expectations. If he hits here like he did in Texas, he wouldn't receive hate. At least not from the vast majority of fans.

Edited by KrankinSox
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I thought people were pretty content with Grandal last year.  The Yoan complaints were about his lack of power/WTP.   I totally get what you’re saying, Gallo would piss off a ton of posters even if he turns his season around.

32 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Just get Gallo for a song if that’s the price for Happ.

If Jerry was committed to just one year of overspending, you could get Happ, Contreras and Robertson for Sheets, Zavala and say a AAA reliever if the Sox also ate Heyward's  remaining 1 1/3 year contract (just DFA him after the trade).

Swap Pollock for Gallo, perhaps one more solid (#3 or #4 - LF if possible) Starter, and the Sox are legitimate WS contenders, and are able to wash Hahn's past 12 months down the drain.

Lineup: SS Anderson; 3B Moncada #; CF Robert; 1B Abreu; C Contreras2B Happ #; LF DH Eloy; DH LF 1B Vaughn; RF Gallo ^

Bench: C DH Grandal #; RF CF Engel; 2B SS Garcia #; 3B Burger (Trade/DFA McGuire, Harrison, Heyward)

Rotation: Cease; Giolito; Lynn; Kopech; Cueto; New LH Starter

Bullpen: Hendriks; Graveman; Robertson; Lopez; Bummer; Lambert; Kelly;

Edited by South Side Hit Men

2 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

If Jerry was committed to just one year of overspending, you could get Happ, Contreras and Robertson for Sheets, Zavala and say a AAA reliever if the Sox also ate Heyward's  remaining 1 1/3 year contract (just DFA him after the trade).

Swap Pollock for Gallo, grab one more solid (#3 or #4 - LF if possible) Starter, and the Sox are legitimate WS contenders, and are able to wash Hahn's past 12 months down the drain.

Lineup: SS Anderson; 3B Moncada #; CF Robert; 1B Abreu; C Contreras2B Happ #; LF DH Eloy; DH LF 1B Vaughn; RF Gallo ^

Bench: C DH Grandal #; RF CF Engel; 2B SS Garcia #; 3B Burger (Trade/DFA McGuire, Harrison)

Rotation: Cease; Giolito; Lynn; Kopech; Cueto; New LH Starter

Bullpen: Hendriks; Graveman; Robertson; Lopez; Bummer; Lambert; Kelly;

Grandal is not being benched and the Yankees aren't going to swap Gallo for Pollock, it makes no sense at all.

EDIT: Also, and I don't mean to be disrespectful or mean, but your trade proposal to the Cubs is utterly pathetic and they would never consider that.

Edited by T R U

11 minutes ago, T R U said:

Grandal is not being benched and the Yankees aren't going to swap Gallo for Pollock, it makes no sense at all.

EDIT: Also, and I don't mean to be disrespectful or mean, but your trade proposal to the Cubs is utterly pathetic and they would never consider that.

Well throw in a solid prospect, the Cubs want to dump payroll. Perhaps you only get two of the three players. but eating Heyward's deal will net you a big return in terms of forgoing top prospects to get that level of talent.

Say you get Happ, Heyward and Robertson, and pass on Contreras. Sheets, Zavala and one or two lotto tickets should be what it takes, since you are eating close to $30M on the Heyward deal. I liked Contreras in return so you can trade both Zavala and McGuire and have a much stronger four man bench. You'd have to work with Happ on getting reacclimated to 2B, or just do that next Spring for 2023 and keep Harrison as the primary starter to finish this season. At the minimum, you'll finally have a decent 2B and RF defensively, even if Gallo hits as he did with the Yankees.

In terms of Grandal, he would be able to catch 1 or 2 games a week, perhaps DH 1 or 2 games. He will be rested and have a better chance at trying to catch 60-80 games his final year with the Sox.

2 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Well throw in a solid prospect, the Cubs want to dump payroll. Perhaps you only get two of the three players. but eating Heyward's deal will net you a big return in terms of forgoing top prospects to get that level of talent.

In terms of Grandal, he would be able to play 2 or 3 games a week, which quite frankly is all that he has been healthy to perform in for most of his time with the Sox.

The Cubs are a rebuilding team looking to cash in on these guys. Happ, Contreras, and Robertson are all going to return valuable prospect capital based on the seasons they are having. They aren't locked up long term and none of their salaries are a detriment.

Sheets, Zavala, and a AAA reliever isn't enough to get even one of those guys by themselves much less all 3 even if you ate Heyward's contract.

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

I thought people were pretty content with Grandal last year.  The Yoan complaints were about his lack of power/WTP.   I totally get what you’re saying, Gallo would piss off a ton of posters even if he turns his season around.

Gallo is gonna piss people off simply because he's gonna remind Sox fans of Adam Dunn. 

Pollock may be bad this year. He's got a 80 wRC+ and -0.2 WAR. But his WPA is actually positive and among players with 250+ PA he has the 2nd highest clutch rating in all of baseball this year. Gallo seems like a strike out waiting to happen whenever you need him to come up with a big hit. 

• Like 1

Please sell. 

If you like Vegas: The Sox are 35/1 to win the world series.  20/1 to make the world series.  

If you like Fangraphs algos (who actually like the White Sox):  The Sox are 66/1 to win the world series.

And the craziest part?  I don't know that selling a few guys would technically dramatically alter our current chances.  The same way when a team is 1.5% to win a game and they go to a position player pitching and it drops to 1.4%.

Please sell.  We have the worst system in baseball. 

The recipe for winning is getting contributions from pre-arb players and/or flipping those pre-arb players for stars. We need more organizational depth.  

16 minutes ago, FriendlyNorthsider said:

As a cubs fan, I would go for that in a heartbeat. Colas is legit 

I don't think any Sox fans would. I like Happ, but with what Colas has done since his AA promotion, he's probably off the table unless the trade is for Reynolds. Happ is a nice player, but I don't think he moves the needle enough to warrant trading Colas. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, T R U said:

The Cubs are a rebuilding team looking to cash in on these guys. Happ, Contreras, and Robertson are all going to return valuable prospect capital based on the seasons they are having. They aren't locked up long term and none of their salaries are a detriment.

Sheets, Zavala, and a AAA reliever isn't enough to get even one of those guys by themselves much less all 3 even if you ate Heyward's contract.

Don't get me wrong, I am pissed off as a Sox fan, but the Cubs fan base is just getting brutalized by the Ricketts regime.  That team is a freaking cash cow, and they are dumping players like they are Oakland.

8 minutes ago, T R U said:

Time will tell what the return is for these three players, but I don't think it will be quite that high for the 2 month rentals (Contreras higher than Robertson) with Happ getting the biggest package due to the extra year of control.

Hahn overpaid for Kimbrel (and Cesar Hernandez) last year. Robertson should command a much more reasonable return. It also depends on whether there are multiple teams seriously interested or just 1 or 2. Can also pry pieces from the Reds who really don't give a shit beyond dumping payroll. If the Sox instead ate Moustakas' deal, Luis Castillo and Naquin could be possible for not much player return.

If you really want to re-tool and go for this thing, here is what I am doing.

Andrew Vaughn and Prospect(s) are sent to Oakland for Frankie Montas, AJ Puk, and Sean Murphy. Zavala and McGuire are DFA and Murphy and Grandal split time at catcher.

AJ Pollock and Prospect(s) are sent to Colorado for Charlie Blackmon and cash/prospect(s).

Norge Vera and Prospect(s) are sent to Chicago for Ian Happ and David Robertson.

Prospect(s) to Miami for Joey Wendle. Harrison is DFA.

C - Grandal (S)

1B - Abreu

2B - Wendle (L)

3B - Moncada (S)

SS - Anderson

LF - Happ (S)

CF - Robert

RF - Blackmon (L)

DH - Jimenez

Bench: Murphy, Garcia, Engel, Sheets

SP: Cease, Kopech, Giolito, Cueto, Lynn, Montas. 6 man rotation rest of the way until playoffs when you throw the best three/four.

Bullpen adds Puk and Robertson

Edited by T R U

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Don't get me wrong, I am pissed off as a Sox fan, but the Cubs fan base is just getting brutalized by the Ricketts regime.  That team is a freaking cash cow, and they are dumping players like they are Oakland.

Why shouldn’t they dump guys who will be free agents this year or next?  All reports have them spending a fortune this coming offseason.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

They're going to spend in the near-term. They're cashing in on guys who are about to walk in FA, or in Happ's case, might be at his peak value. 

If the 2024 Cubs are still avoiding big contracts, then I'll agree with you.

12 minutes ago, fathom said:

Why shouldn’t they dump guys who will be free agents this year or next?  All reports have them spending a fortune this coming offseason.

They didn't keep anyone from 2016 because they were cheating.  I can't believe that isn't more of an angle.  You are one of the richest sports franchises in the world, and you didn't keep a single player from your World Series run?  Even for sentimental value?  

And if your view is that it is difficult to value current big league talent because much of the league was cheating, don't you press pause?  Kinda like Theo has just taken a break?  Don't you sign a player from another country?  Or just starting pitchers?  

Look for them to unload anyone they can, buy pitching again this offseason and try to grow the next generation of position players.  

Edited by GREEDY

1 minute ago, GREEDY said:

They didn't keep anyone from 2016 because they were cheating.  I can't believe that isn't more of an angle.  You are one of the richest sports franchises in the world, and you didn't keep a single player from your World Series run?  Even for sentimental value?  

And if your view is that it is difficult to value current big league talent because much of the league was cheating, don't you press pause?  Kinda like Theo has just taken a break?  Don't you sign a player from another country?  Or just starting pitchers?  

Look for them to unload anyone they can, buy pitching again this offseason and try to grow the next generation of position players.  

I'm all here for the 2016 Cubs were cheaters storyline. Please explain.

Just now, fathom said:

What I don’t get is what is the plan with Happ if you trade for him?  There’s still the mess with Vaughn/Eloy/Abreu for next season.  I don’t think Happ is a good fit for RF, as he has finally got comfortable in LF.

Play him at 2B?