Trade Rumors Catch-all

Chicago White Sox

32 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m on Team Gallo, but half the fun of trading for him will be seeing the reactions from half the board.  It would definitely be a polarizing move here.

Trading? The guys a dfa candidate. What are we trading? 

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

And yet the Astros have made the ALCS 5 years in a row, including 3 World Series appearances. 

On the other side of the coin, you have the White Sox, who have made back-to-back playoff appearances for the first time in their 121-year history, and were outclassed by a somewhat wide margin in both series. 

You don't have to just count on luck to be successful in the playoffs. Yes, some years crazy things happen. And yes, some years everything comes together over those 170 or so games ( see 2005 White Sox.) But having a deep, talented roster that is well-managed sure seems to help your chances. I'd like that for the team I root for, but unfortunately we can't seem to have nice things. 

Luck is all we have. We don't have a well managed roster or those nice things. Not our fault.

Can't win the lottery without a ticket so if all I'm left with is hoping to win the lottery I'll go with that.

• Like 2

Just reading the MLB.com article about what each team needs ahead of the trade deadline and apart from saying a LHP for the bullpen is the biggest need Scott Merkin concluded by saying "The truth is the White Sox have a fairly complete roster when healthy and don’t have a lot of open spots."

Am I missing something but I think the White Sox roster is far from complete and has 'open spots' all over the place that have square pegs rammed into round holes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chimpton said:

Just reading the MLB.com article about what each team needs ahead of the trade deadline and apart from saying a LHP for the bullpen is the biggest need Scott Merkin concluded by saying "The truth is the White Sox have a fairly complete roster when healthy and don’t have a lot of open spots."

Am I missing something but I think the White Sox roster is far from complete and has 'open spots' all over the place that have square pegs rammed into round holes.

It’s standard Merkin fluff…we’ll have to wait and see how Hahn feels.  Not hard to see Vaughn’s 0.6 fWAR despite a 125 wRC+ and realize we need an actual RF.  It’s not hard to see our generally shitty production against RHP and realize we need better balance.  And it’s hard to ignore each Giolito start and not realize we don’t have a quality #2 starter at the moment.  Hahn has work to do regardless of Merkin’s PR spin.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chimpton said:

Yeah, this is dumb.  On paper, one could argue that they have plenty of outfield options in Vaughn, Sheets, Engel, and Garcia to go along with actual outfielders Robert and Pollock.  And 2B is covered with Harrison and Garcia.  And they have five starting pitchers.  But in the real world, the Sox need a real outfielder for RF, a better solution at 2B, and some bullpen help.  Another starting pitcher wouldn't be a bad thing, either.  So, even when healthy, the Sox do not have a truly complete roster.  There are still holes.

4 hours ago, Chimpton said:

This is a very good sign that there will be no big moves if Baghdad Scott is saying this.

And I'm perfectly fine with going along with the "guys coming back from injury are our acquisitions" charade if it means not trading savages.

8 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

This is a very good sign that there will be no big moves if Baghdad Scott is saying this.

And I'm perfectly fine with going along with the "guys coming back from injury are our acquisitions" charade if it means not trading savages.

There is a balance that can be had here though.  If we stick to rentals, none of the savages or even Vera will need to be considered for a trade.  Honestly, the real risk is if Hahn decides to trade for a SP with an extra year of control like Luis Castillo or Frankie Montas.  There should be RFs, 2Bs, & RPs who can be acquired with B & C tier prospects, but SP might prove more problematic.  I really pray we survive this deadline with Montgomery & Colas as a minimum as we really can’t afford to give up young LH hitting when Hahn has struggled so much to acquire at the major league level.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hogan873 said:

Yeah, this is dumb.  On paper, one could argue that they have plenty of outfield options in Vaughn, Sheets, Engel, and Garcia to go along with actual outfielders Robert and Pollock.  And 2B is covered with Harrison and Garcia.  And they have five starting pitchers.  But in the real world, the Sox need a real outfielder for RF, a better solution at 2B, and some bullpen help.  Another starting pitcher wouldn't be a bad thing, either.  So, even when healthy, the Sox do not have a truly complete roster.  There are still holes.

I definitely understand what he’s getting at here and it is an issue - the White Sox’s roster is currently 27 players deep counting Burger. Most guys are under contract, most guys don’t have options available.

So yes, they could use an OF. They need a roster spot for this. The guys they can cut are Pollock, who is owed $14 million if he’s cut, Engel - who is quite cheap for a backup and has one more arbitration year left so if you dump him for a rental now you have to spend more to find a backup CF next year, Eloy who is owed like $30 million if he’s cut and who people are hesitant to trade when he’s at his lowest value, and Vaughn and Sheets who have options and can be sent down but who are also the only two who have done anything worth the bats in the OF. Assuming Robert isn’t out for the season,  which guy do you cut to pick up Gallo? 

This plays out across the roster. At 2b an upgrade would be nice. Harrison has hit an .800ish OPS since June, are we dropping him or buying out $12.5 million on Leury’s deal?

They could use a starter because Giolito and Lynn have been bad. Neither is hurt. You can buy a few innings with IL stints but not enough to create room for anyone decent. Who do you cut or trade to create room for a starter?

At the very least these are tough questions because any move we make we might regret within a year or two. I do think you need to clear this catching logjam.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I definitely understand what he’s getting at here and it is an issue - the White Sox’s roster is currently 27 players deep counting Burger. Most guys are under contract, most guys don’t have options available.

So yes, they could use an OF. They need a roster spot for this. The guys they can cut are Pollock, who is owed $14 million if he’s cut, Engel - who is quite cheap for a backup and has one more arbitration year left so if you dump him for a rental now you have to spend more to find a backup CF next year, Eloy who is owed like $30 million if he’s cut and who people are hesitant to trade when he’s at his lowest value, and Vaughn and Sheets who have options and can be sent down but who are also the only two who have done anything worth the bats in the OF. Assuming Robert isn’t out for the season,  which guy do you cut to pick up Gallo? 

This plays out across the roster. At 2b an upgrade would be nice. Harrison has hit an .800ish OPS since June, are we dropping him or buying out $12.5 million on Leury’s deal?

They could use a starter because Giolito and Lynn have been bad. Neither is hurt. You can buy a few innings with IL stints but not enough to create room for anyone decent. Who do you cut or trade to create room for a starter?

At the very least these are tough questions because any move we make we might regret within a year or two.

There is no tough question on Sheets…he goes down the moment you acquire a RF.  That’s easy to facilitate.  And there is plenty of room for pitching additions as Ruiz can go and Foster & Lambert can be optioned.

The only real challenge is adding both a RF and a 2B assuming we stick with a four man bench.  That’s where Leury’s contract really hurts you and would likely force you to trade Engel to make room.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

There is no tough question on Sheets…he goes down the moment you acquire a RF.  That’s easy to facilitate.  And there is plenty of room for pitching additions as Ruiz can go and Foster & Lambert can be optioned.

The only real challenge is adding both a RF and a 2B assuming we stick with a four man bench.  That’s where Leury’s contract really hurts you and would likely force you to trade Engel to make room.

Ok great. So your OF needs to be better than Sheets, who at least has a .715 OPS since June1. Gallo, for example, is at .644 since then.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Ok great. So your OF needs to be better than Sheets, who at least has a .715 OPS since June1. Gallo, for example, is at .644 since then.

So their performance since June 1st is predictive of go forward production?  And does defense not matter?  No matter how you slice it, Sheets is not the answer for RF.  Gallo may not be either, but at least there is some sort of outcome where he is.  And there are other options for RF other than Gallo.  While Peralta scares me a bit, his production this year would be a massive upgrade over Sheets.

• Like 1

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

So their performance since June 1st is predictive of go forward production?  And does defense not matter?  No matter how you slice it, Sheets is not the answer for RF.  Gallo may not be either, but at least there is some sort of outcome where he is.  And there are other options for RF other than Gallo.  While Peralta scares me a bit, his production this year would be a massive upgrade over Sheets.

With Gallo it may very well be predictive of what he will do…and let’s just imagine that they trade for bullpen help, pick up Gallo, and he continues to struggle - that could readily be the difference in the division.

Sheets sorta sets a replacement level floor in the OF as that’s what he’s been over the last 2 months and probably what he will be going forward. You gotta find someone better than him if you want to justify making that move.

And yeah, it’s harder to make this work at other positions too. Particularly in the rotation.

The Sox are not going to find an impact LH bat to play second base. Harrison is only signed through this season and provides solid defense. The more important hole to fill is that ever elusive LH middle of the order bat and the only likely spot open is RF. The problem is that there aren't really any rental candidates available. It does not seem likely that Hahn can fix that problem, at this late juncture. Many of us were adamant about the need to do so in the off season. Hahn himself listed it as one of the prioritized needs. So, who are the possibilities? Gallo, Naquin, Peralta ........? I don't see a difference maker in that list.

The pitching is another matter. At this point, between the injuries and underperformances, one has to wonder if it's fixable. Once again, we have to look at the last off season. There is no point "beating a dead horse," but I still can't get over how the Sox didn't make a QO to Rodon. Just mind boggling. 

I suppose that this won't be a popular opinion here, but for me personally, I would not really be ecstatic over a post season appearance by this team, if they end up with a unimpressive regular season record and only make it because the AL Central is such a weak division.  Given that perspective, I'd prefer that the front office be focused more on fixing the problems for next season. I suppose that if some miracle happened, and they ended up winning the World Series, this year, I'd be happy, but I think that I'd be more amazed than ecstatic.    

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

The Sox are not going to find an impact LH bat to play second base. Harrison is only signed through this season and provides solid defense. The more important hole to fill is that ever elusive LH middle of the order bat and the only likely spot open is RF. The problem is that there aren't really any rental candidates available. It does not seem likely that Hahn can fix that problem, at this late juncture. Many of us were adamant about the need to do so in the off season. Hahn himself listed it as one of the prioritized needs. So, who are the possibilities? Gallo, Naquin, Peralta ........? I don't see a difference maker in that list.

The pitching is another matter. At this point, between the injuries and underperformances, one has to wonder if it's fixable. Once again, we have to look at the last off season. There is no point "beating a dead horse," but I still can't get over how the Sox didn't make a QO to Rodon. Just mind boggling. 

I suppose that this won't be a popular opinion here, but for me personally, I would not really be ecstatic over a post season appearance by this team, if they end up with a unimpressive regular season record and only make it because the AL Central is such a weak division.  Given that perspective, I'd prefer that the front office be focused more on fixing the problems for next season. I suppose that if some miracle happened, and they ended up winning the World Series, this year, I'd be happy, but I think that I'd be more amazed than ecstatic.    

Naquin was traded last night fyi. But I agree. Maybe try to grab a left-handed hitting 2B and pick up a starter and a couple relievers.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

https://www.mlb.com/news/general-managers-talk-2022-trade-deadline-expectations

Among those impending free agents are Willson Contreras, Josh Bell, Trey Mancini, Brandon Drury, David Peralta, Nelson Cruz, José Quintana, Noah Syndergaard, David Robertson, Daniel Bard and Matt Moore, most of whom are expected to be dealt by Tuesday.

A group of players under club control through 2023 are also among those projected to be moved, including Luis Castillo, Frankie Montas, Ian Happ and Tyler Mahle.

“There doesn’t appear to be as much top-end talent available as in years past,” the GM said. “So while the deals may be aplenty, the leverage might be fairly low.

Read the above four time Rick before sending any of your crazy ass overpay offers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chimpton said:

Of course the official team mouthpiece will say such things.  Just have to steady yourself from eye rolling too hard reading such drivel. 

5 hours ago, Chimpton said:

Also, continuing to view the roster through the “when healthy” lens is incredibly stupid. You’re allowed to trade for depth!

34 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Naquin was traded last night fyi. But I agree. Maybe try to grab a left-handed hitting 2B and pick up a starter and a couple relievers.

Naquin didn't cost the Mets much. If the Sox had wanted him, they certainly could have offered at least what the Mets gave up. Does that mean that Hahn is pursuing a bigger target?