Trade Rumors Catch-all

Chicago White Sox

There are too many wasted roster spots on this team.  If the Sox make a trade and need to make room for a better player, they need to do what they need to do.  Sheets needs to go?  Fine.  Burger, Leury, one of the catchers?  Do it.  Worrying about what to do if the Sox add a good player is a waste of time.  This is no time to worry about feelings or throwing away money (Leury).  This team can get much better with a few moves, and if they're serious about competing for more than just the division, they need to make those moves and ship out the dead weight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

With Gallo it may very well be predictive of what he will do…and let’s just imagine that they trade for bullpen help, pick up Gallo, and he continues to struggle - that could readily be the difference in the division.

Sheets sorta sets a replacement level floor in the OF as that’s what he’s been over the last 2 months and probably what he will be going forward. You gotta find someone better than him if you want to justify making that move.

And yeah, it’s harder to make this work at other positions too. Particularly in the rotation.

I refuse to entertain the thought the Sox would be worse off with Gallo in RF against RHP as opposed to Sheets rest of season.  Assuming health of Eloy, Robert, Engel and Pollock...all of which deserve that caveat....things do get a bit crowded out there with Gallo on board.  But I am fine with Pollock getting less time against RHP, shift AV to LF and let Eloy DH.  Plus Eloy is going to get plenty of offdays ROS. 

I am not saying Gallo is some homerun acquisition.  As you said, he's damn near a DFA or salary dump.  But he's also 1 year removed from a 4.4 fWAR season.  Gavin Sheets probably won't accumulate 4.4 fWAR in his career.  

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 2

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I refuse to entertain the thought the Sox would be worse off with Gallo in RF against RHP as opposed to Sheets rest of season.  Assuming health of Eloy, Robert, Engel and Pollock...of which deserve that caveat....things do get a bit tight with Gallo on board.  But I am fine with Pollock getting a little less time against RHP, shift AV to LF and let Eloy DH.  

Gallo replacing Sheets is a no-brainer but with TLR at the helm who bloody knows how playing time shakes out.  Yaz probably DH’s a ton down the stretch, which means less play for Eloy or AV somewhere in there.  

25 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Naquin didn't cost the Mets much. If the Sox had wanted him, they certainly could have offered at least what the Mets gave up. Does that mean that Hahn is pursuing a bigger target?

I find it much more likely that he’s just misreading the trade market.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Highly doubt anyone is picking up the phone to call the Sox on those guys anyway, or if they are they aren't offering anything of value in return and expect the Sox to throw in money. 

Right now is probably the lowest both their stock has ever been as ML players.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Highly doubt anyone is picking up the phone to call the Sox on those guys anyway, or if they are they aren't offering anything of value in return and expect the Sox to throw in money. 

Right now is probably the lowest both their stock has ever been as ML players.

"Team officials believe the Sox can win the division", but Jerry is hoping for a second place finish so he can get our hopes up for next year. Then he'll raise the ticket prices because we're so close to winning it all.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

"Team officials believe the Sox can win the division", but Jerry is hoping for a second place finish so he can get our hopes up for next year. Then he'll raise the ticket prices because we're so close to winning it all.

After back to back playoff appearances and the worst malaise I can recall seeing around a White Sox team with expectations, I hope Jerry isn't that stupid.

There are three ways this can go:

1) Sox make a huge splash for someone like Soto, or dare I say Ohtani.

2) Sox give up valuable prospects for marginal improvements

3) Sox give up nothing of real value for marginal improvements

I'm fine with either 1 or 3. Just don't land in the middle.

15 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Considering we have one starting caliber OF on the roster (who’s also injured atm), I would think OF help would be more necessary than god forbid me saying this….. Harrison and Leury at second 🤮

Atlanta had a decimated OF in 2021 and brought four quality options to fill it.

The Sox faced a decimated OF in 2021 and brought in Nick Williams, Jake Lamb, Brian Goodwin, and played Leury Garcia every goddamn game.

The Sox faced this in 2022 and brought in Pollock, moved Sheets to RF, and played Leury Garcia every goddamn game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hogan873 said:

There are too many wasted roster spots on this team.  If the Sox make a trade and need to make room for a better player, they need to do what they need to do.  Sheets needs to go?  Fine.  Burger, Leury, one of the catchers?  Do it.  Worrying about what to do if the Sox add a good player is a waste of time.  This is no time to worry about feelings or throwing away money (Leury).  This team can get much better with a few moves, and if they're serious about competing for more than just the division, they need to make those moves and ship out the dead weight.

Hate to say it, but we're all delusional if we think Leury is going anywhere. No way Jerry eats his salary, he's grooming him to be our next Manager.

Just like Ozzie, Robin, Daryl....etc.  The White Sox don't hire coaches from the outside.

1 hour ago, DirtySox said:

Feinsand has an article of players most likely to be traded and potential landing spots.

White Sox listed with Montas, Drury, and Peralta.

https://www.mlb.com/news/2022-trade-deadline-likely-players-to-be-dealt

Peralta not playing any RF since 2018 just screams White Sox shove him there and are "stunned" when he sucks.

• Like 1