White Sox vs. Royals 8/22 1:10CDT (Kopech vs. Lynch)

Greg Hibbard

Boy oh boy do the Sox stink. Lose 4 of 5 in a short span to one of the most blah Royals teams in team history. Just a ridiculously young bad team. As much as I love Tony, this is a disgrace and insult to Sox fans to keep the guy around. And Hahn? To sit there and not make changes (well, Elvis looked good today) and to think this bullpen was worth a damn and to not turn over tables to get the best possible medical staff ... it's just sad.

Again do you realize how insulting it is to a fan who bought season tickets to spend this kind of cash on a team that loses 4 of 5 to KC including today's game with a crowd of less than 1,000 if they would tell the truth??? In many ways this is the most embarrassing loss of the season. Believe it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tomtom said:

I didn’t get to see the game, mercifully school started for us today.  However, I can’t tell you all how much I enjoyed the game thread.  I laughed a lot.  Laughter through tears is the best emotion.  😂

and I have no fucking idea how I quoted Tom Tom.

Edited by JTB

3 hours ago, chetkincaid said:

You cannot go into next season with Eloy, Vaughn, Grandal, Sheets and Abreu on the roster. You have FIVE 1B/DH. That's terrible.

Sheets is a non-factor.  Grandal is burnt toast with a contract.  Neither should factor into the decision making.  Not that removing those two from the equation solves what to do with 3 players for 2 positions. 

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

Sheets is a non-factor.  Grandal is burnt toast with a contract.  Neither should factor into the decision making.  Not that removing those two from the equation solves what to do with 3 players for 2 positions. 

This. Sheets should be purely AAA insurance with Burger. You just hope you can get 70 games caught out of Yaz in catching tandem with a defense first FA. 

But one of Jose, AV or Eloy has to go. I’m keeping Eloy, so it’s one of the other 2 for me. Hard to imagine how bad this squad would be without Pito, but would also be nice to miss his twilight seasons. I’d consider a 2 year $30M deal with Jose and trading AV, but have a really hard time deciding for what, and I’m not doing it for SP. 

3 hours ago, elrockinMT said:

No reason to be trading these guys. They can hit and play multiple positions which gives the manager options. You don’t trade out of frustration 

THEY CANNOT PLAY MULTIPLE POSITIONS.  They can hardly play a single position competently outside of Abreu.  And the hitting is a big fat question mark.  Holy Shit your Schtick is so damned tired. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

This. Sheets should be purely AAA insurance with Burger. You just hope you can get 70 games caught out of Yaz in catching tandem with a defense first FA. 

But one of Jose, AV or Eloy has to go. I’m keeping Eloy, so it’s one of the other 2 for me. Hard to imagine how bad this squad would be without Pito, but would also be nice to miss his twilight seasons. I’d consider a 2 year $30M deal with Jose and trading AV, but have a really hard time deciding for what, and I’m not doing it for SP. 

I don’t know how you part ways with Pito and do it with a straight face.  But he’s at the end of his prime despite still being the best player on the squad.  AV and Eloy are both such massive disappointments right now that it’s hard to see getting real value in return.  They really are dammed if they do or damned if they don’t.  But you can’t keep them and expect anything better than the dreadful results of this year again.  Yaz?  I don’t see them eating his last year although they should.  You just have to hope he can be an adequate backup C and never ever DH him or play him at 1B.  Not that I trust the current brain trust to clean up their own mess with any level of competency. 

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

I don’t know how you part ways with Pito and do it with a straight face.  But he’s at the end of his prime despite still being the best player on the squad.  AV and Eloy are both such massive disappointments right now that it’s hard to see getting real value in return.  They really are dammed if they do or damned if they don’t.  But you can’t keep them and expect anything better than the dreadful results of this year again.  Yaz?  I don’t see them eating his last year although they should.  You just have to hope he can be an adequate backup C and never ever DH him or play him at 1B.  Not that I trust the current brain trust to clean up their own mess with any level of competency. 

Right now as a 24 year old on a roster that believes pulling the ball is a mistake, Vaughn has an .802 OPS. This would be good for 11th among 1b performance in MLB. They’ve burned some of his control and value for that reason but he’s clearly a valuable player to a significant fraction of baseball.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

AV has an .800 OPS. His WAR is 0.6, but that's 100% because of his defense.

I'm failing to see how he's a massive disappointment.

2 minutes ago, JoeC said:

AV has an .800 OPS. His WAR is 0.6, but that's 100% because of his defense.

I'm failing to see how he's a massive disappointment.

His recent struggles have definitely clouded my view.  I didn’t realize his OPS was still that high.  I’m quite curious how other teams view his trade value. 

2 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

His recent struggles have definitely clouded my view.  I didn’t realize his OPS was still that high.  I’m quite curious how other teams view his trade value. 

Maybe some other team does view differently based on scouts, but highly talented hitting 1b with 4 years of control and some of the worst coaching in baseball is how I’d write it. I would say that’s basically what he was worth last offseason as he’s shown quite a bit of improvement.