TLR out for the year

chw42

38 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

TLR out for season.

Anti-climactic news! The record, season and damage was already done because of this loser manager.

A smart owner would have announced "Due to further medical testing, procedures and results, Tony LaRussa will not be retuning this season and has officially decided to retire as White Sox manager.

Now fans and media have to needlessly waste time worrying and debating whether TLR is retuning in 2023. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TLR 1

18 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Well it gives him an "honorable" out anyway, saves face for both sides I guess.

This is exactly what this announcement is: face saving. The hire was a disaster from the beginning. The Sox had no intention of bringing LaRussa back this season. The whole thing was a fiasco. And this is why so many have little faith in this FO turning this team around. Meanwhile, the team will still have Hahn, still have Williams, still have a dugout full of coaches who don't know what they're doing. Not looking forward to this off season.

• Fire 3

18 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Anti-climactic news! The record, season and damage was already done because of this loser manager.

A smart owner would have announced "Due to further medical testing, procedures and results, Tony LaRussa will not be retuning this season and has officially decided to retire as White Sox manager.

Now fans and media have to needlessly waste time worrying and debating whether TLR is retuning in 2023. 

My guess is he will not return, but I will not wait until they announce Cairo as the new Manager in the Spring of 2023.  I'm not going to give them any money for season tickets unless we have a new Manager not named TLR or Cairo who has the power to hire his own coaches.

• Like 2
  • Fire 2

27 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Serious question for all those saying a tune up to his pacemaker or whatever he had done is no big deal, do you think this is all show by the Sox and TLR then to let him ride off into the sunset or what are your thoughts now since he’s been ruled out? 

I'm sure the Sox shitty play and the pressure of losing caused his heart to jump a few beats which set off the alarms.  It most likely was real, but I also think overblown a tad bit and provided an excuse when one was needed badly to light a fire under this team.  Sox needed a spark, and Cairo provided that temporarily, until he kept telling everyone that he talked to TLR daily about the lineup for input.  That and Tony showing up in Oakland for Stewart more than likely caused the team to question TLR's dedication to the Sox and his health issue.   One thing I will give Cairo credit for is the benching of Leury, but it also showed that the Sox bench coach had little or no input in deciding the teams daily lineup during the season.  Example, who in their right mind would bat Leury third and play him as much as TLR did.

• Hawk 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Well, if I read that correctly, TLR ain't managing again. Hopefully, Cairo losing the team after Tuesday should discourage the FO from even considering him for next year. 

I don't hate the idea of Bochy, although I doubt he wants to come out of retirement to coach this sorry ass group of players. This job opening isn't what it was just 2 years ago. Bochy is 67, so he's also old. Not TLR old, but still old. I'd rather they go a little younger after seeing what a corpse manager can do to a young team. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Well, if I read that correctly, TLR ain't managing again. Hopefully, Cairo losing the team after Tuesday should discourage the FO from even considering him for next year. 

I don't hate the idea of Bochy, although I doubt he wants to come out of retirement to coach this sorry ass group of players. This job opening isn't what it was just 2 years ago. Bochy is 67, so he's also old. Not TLR old, but still old. I'd rather they go a little younger after seeing what a corpse manager can do to a young team. 

Did Bochy actually retire though? Or was he just taking a break from managing?

16 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I didn’t really read it that way. I read it like JR wants to keep his buddy he’s paying $4M next year and that’s the deep divide. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Did Bochy actually retire though? Or was he just taking a break from managing?

He did retire but he gave some hints that it might not be permanent in interviews done at the time.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/giants/bruce-bochy-has-retired-giants-manager-he-really-done

there appear To be some local news articles that also suggested there were people in the Giants that said it was time to move on, but how much of a role that played I can’t guess.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/10/24/its-time-to-stop-saying-bruce-bochy-retired-from-managing/amp/

The fact that there is even a debate inside the FO says how deeply fucked this org is.  Tony La Russia has been a catastrophe, no ifs, ands, or buts.  The stars are perfectly aligned to walk away from the colossal mistake and go in a different while allowing everyone to save face.  Not that anyone deserves it.  But the opportunity is right there in front of them for the taking.  And I won’t be shocked one bit if they f*** this up all over again. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, A-Train to 35th said:

My guess is he will not return, but I will not wait until they announce Cairo as the new Manager in the Spring of 2023.  I'm not going to give them any money for season tickets unless we have a new Manager not named TLR or Cairo who has the power to hire his own coaches.

I wish their were more fans like you that would vow to do the same thing with their money.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I didn’t really read it that way. I read it like JR wants to keep his buddy he’s paying $4M next year and that’s the deep divide. 

It seemed to me that the only way Tony stays is if he gets a role in the FO. Which might just be a way for him to finish out his contract.