So is Gavin Sheets for real?

Greg Hibbard

35 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Absolutely brutal watching these 1B in the OF

The solution is Vaughn DH/1B in 2023, Sheets in AAA or traded, LH RF signed (Conforto) or if Colas is ready, promotion in May.

Still want Abreu back at 1B on a reasonable 1 year plus option deal if he wants to continue playing.

No matter what happens, Sheets should not be on the active roster beyond a rash of injuries in 2023, and neither Vaughn or Sheets should be allowed to own, let alone wear, an OF glove as a member of the White Sox.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The solution is Vaughn DH/1B in 2023, Sheets in AAA or traded, LH RF signed (Conforto) or if Colas is ready, promotion in May.

Still want Abreu back at 1B on a reasonable 1 year plus option deal if he wants to continue playing.

No matter what happens, Sheets should not be on the active roster beyond a rash of injuries in 2023, and neither Vaughn or Sheets should be allowed to own, let alone wear, an OF glove as a member of the White Sox.

I feel like if you bring back Abreu, you gotta trade Vaughn. This team needs to get more athletic, more left-handed, and Eloy needs to DH more (not that that is a guarantee they would). Colas likely comes up early next year for one corner spot and either a free agent or trade candidate plays the other. Preferably a left-handed bat.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, The Beast said:

1. A person can change their mind and think differently when presented with another argument. Maybe you’ve convinced me to think differently, so it’s best to move on to the next point of Sheets and Vaughn. The reason I even mentioned the loss of production is that I can envision a scenario where Abreu is gone and people complain that production is missing.

2. I’m not really married to the idea that anyone is unmovable on this team. They probably won’t trade Vaughn, but if the offer is there, they should consider taking it. Like I said, it probably won’t happen. And yes, maybe I undervalue the return for Sheets. We will see if he is worth something, only the offseason will tell.

3. I haven’t seen many position players signings that are at least three years and see a lot of one or two year deals with options. I’d like to see an investment from them in a multi year deal on a starting position player from outside the organization. I haven’t seen that beyond Grandal and we know he had been underwhelming. We will see if he spends $38M towards a starting position player and a starting pitcher. Let’s see what the offseason brings.

I know there is always a risk that Abreu can move on to another team and maybe with a better manager, hitting coach and players around him, could do better. However I still believe its worth saving the money and letting him move on. If that does happen and Abreu does well for another team and gets his power numbers back, then for sure we will all know that Menechino was the reason Jose and others on this team struggled with power.

Likewise the only reason I would hate to see Vaughn traded, is I think if he got to the right team and doesn't have a Menechino screwing him up, he could put up huge numbers and then you can imagine the complaints you will see on this forum letting him go. However, if a deal was sweet enough and didn't involve older players, I guess the Sox should consider a trade, but it has to be an overwhelming great haul! In that case we are then putting all our trust in Sheets to be the man at first base...which maybe he can be that guy. 

Whatever happens in the offseason I hope it happens without Hahn which I know probably won't happen. 

2 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I feel like if you bring back Abreu, you gotta trade Vaughn. This team needs to get more athletic, more left-handed, and Eloy needs to DH more (not that that is a guarantee they would). Colas likely comes up early next year for one corner spot and either a free agent or trade candidate plays the other. Preferably a left-handed bat.

I’m looking for quality everyday players over platoon guys / LH with flaws. Sheets is not a major league starter, but they are forcing it because he hits LH. Pollock was also supposed to hit RHP, but he is old, expensive and can’t hit anybody (or play RF as Hahn crowed about post trade). He is the typical Hahn acquisition.

Bring in quality players who can hit and field, period. Seems to work for RH heavy Toronto. They have five hitters at 2.7 - 3.8 bWAR, with another five at 1.3 - 2.2. The Sox have two (Abreu and Robert) and two (Harrison and Anderson), respectively.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

7 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

For some reason a portion of this board loves falling in love with mediocre (at best) players. I won’t be shocked if Sheets can’t find work in the majors within the next 2-3 years. 

It's because on our team there isn't much of a gap between the mediocre players and the 'stars' especially this season.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DashFan said:

It's because on our team there isn't much of a gap between the mediocre players and the 'stars' especially this season.

I guess, and maybe I sound like a jerk, but a simple eye test shouldn’t be that difficult. At some point there was a fairly large % of the fan base (or at least this board) that were slotting the likes of Palka, Delmonico, Salindino, Mcann and others in the lineup long term. Just a bit weird to me. Maybe it’s just hopelessness for a sorry franchise that it seems like there’s no choice but to root for these guys that have a couple of decent months? 

On 9/6/2022 at 9:42 AM, Bob Sacamano said:

On 9/6/2022 at 9:42 AM, Bob Sacamano said:

Unless Vaughn can be the 1B/DH and Abreu  be the DH/1B to start 23.  Then if Vaughn cannot play 1B on an average basis, then move him. Now if Abreu still wants to play 1B full-time, that would kill the idea.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, chw42 said:

You're assuming Burger can play 1B...

I am sure he can and that platoon isn’t terrible. Burger can get some ocassional at bats at 3B as well. Per dollar production out of that platoon split would be pretty good. 

As long as club spends that savings in other spots where the club can upgrade with premium talent, inclusive of defense at more premium positions. 

• Like 2

Idk if it's really a thing or if it's just something that he'd just have to get used to, but Eloy is just straight up mashing when he plays the field vs when he plays DH. He's still  above average when DHing but there's about a 100 point OPS difference when he plays the field. 

I think you almost have to just ride it out and trade Sheets. Vaughn has way too much upside and I'd just hate to see Abreu go if he still wants to play. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I am sure he can and that platoon isn’t terrible. Burger can get some ocassional at bats at 3B as well. Per dollar production out of that platoon split would be pretty good. 

As long as club spends that savings in other spots where the club can upgrade with premium talent, inclusive of defense at more premium positions. 

My thoughts exactly.