9/13 vs. Rockies 710CT - Kopech v. Kuhl: A New Streak Starts

ChiSox59

14 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

No, it won’t. None of those 3 can play LF.

If they are planning to try Eloy in LF, than it makes sense. Vaughn does not make sense beyond say 20 - 30 games a year. What you can’t have is a bad RF, and than means 0 games for Vaughn / Sheets next year in RF. I rather DFA Pollock (would have a month ago so he couldn’t vest $2M more and counting) and keep the three solid hitters, spend the money in 2B and SP (and RF if they aren’t bringing up Colas).

Also don’t agree with playing service time manipulation with Colas, start him on OD, or whenever he is ready to play, sign an actual RF if you don’t think he’ll be ready first half of the season. Don’t piss away 2-3 + losses with Sheets or other bad players.

16 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Sox are going to have to roll with Giolito, Kopech, Lynn and Cease thats 4 of the 5 starters. Of course I d love a competent 5th start and Giolito to rebound , just as I want Moncada and Grandal to rebound. However the lineup can't hit and can't field. How do you not prioritize fixing the defense and balancing the lineup when all you have to do is play Colas and find another LH OF ? 2 fixes with obtaining one decent LH OF. I know it won't fix the entire defense but it's a dam good place to start.

Trading Vaughn may be necessary I agree but between trading off some youth and the rest being injured or terribly inconsistent  the core has disintegrated massively. The Sox are just going to have to roll with Eloy, Moncada , Grandal and Giolito. They don't have the resources to do much else.

My suggestion or my priority is get one good LH OF and play Colas and it fixes 2 areas of concern hitting and defense simultaneously. I can call starting pitching 1A if you'd like but the history of the franchise has always been pitching rich and very very LH hitting poor. The LH hitting poor part has always historically hurt the Sox as a franchise. They just have better karma finding pitching. They haven't had any luck with LH hitting and that has to change. I'm looking at this from a historical and current need standpoint.

I will be the first to admit that I don’t have an answer to this given the White Sox’s payroll. My guess is they have a maximum of $25 million to spend and possibly less. Trading Vaughn for Woodruff leaves probably about $15 million max to find a LF and I’m pretty sure that doesn’t get Nimmo.

17 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Sheets isn’t a major league anything, and should not be part of the discussion or the 2023 White Sox. Vaughn Eloy and Abreu for 1-2 more years covering DH 1B and LF will work out. 

SHeet is depth whether in the minors or trade. Eloy or Vaughn shouldnt be anywhere near the OF. Eloy great for DH and hopefully it keeps him healthier too, Vaughn 1st base or traded. ABreu sorry has to go need the cap space. Highly doubt it'll shake out that way though. JR will have to show his loyalty once more to Abreu. If we want JR to keep his hands off making on field  decisions he shouldn't meddle in Abreu's departure either.

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

If they are planning to try Eloy in LF, than it makes sense. Vaughn does not make sense beyond say 20 - 30 games a year. What you can’t have is a bad RF, and than means 0 games for Vaughn / Sheets next year in RF. I rather DFA Pollock (would have a month ago so he couldn’t vest $2M more and counting) and keep the three solid hitters, spend the money in 2B and SP (and RF if they aren’t bringing up Colas).

Also don’t agree with playing service time manipulation with Colas, start him on OD, or whenever he is ready to play, sign an actual RF if you don’t think he’ll be ready first half of the season. Don’t piss away 2-3 + losses with Sheets or other bad players.

They can’t play Eloy in LF unless they have another starting LF for 100 games. Even they seem to have figured this out. 

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

They can’t play Eloy in LF unless they have another starting LF for 100 games. Even they seem to have figured this out. 

I’m just discussing White Sox reality/expectations from the FO. I believe Eloy cannot physically play LF at this stage, which is the only reason he acquiesced to DHing these past few weeks (that and he is afraid of and or respects Miguel Cairo). I also believe if the Sox bring back Abreu, they are doing so with the intention of returning Eloy to LF.

I’ve been on the record here they should have taken Eloy’s glove away either in 2020, or at the latest after that Spring Training 2021 debacle. I still believe it is the teams intention to continue him in LF.  

I also think Vaughn will fail defensively as an everyday 1B due to his height and lack of defensive skills. You can get a solid front line starting pitcher from the Marlins for Eloy. You’re not getting much back for Vaughn. Including payroll, salary, health and trade return, I’d move Eloy and do what they should have done several years ago and never draft or trade for DH only type players (Vaughn, Burger, Sheets, Grandal, Parrot, Lamb, etc.) in the future. With a four man bench, you can’t suck up more than one slot on a player with no defensive ability. The Sox have had 4-6 the past two seasons.

6 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I’m just discussing White Sox reality/expectations from the FO. I believe Eloy cannot physically play LF at this stage, which is the only reason he acquiesced to DHing these past few weeks (that and he is afraid of and or respects Miguel Cairo). I also believe if the Sox bring back Abreu, they are doing so with the intention of returning Eloy to LF.

I’ve been on the record here they should have taken Eloy’s glove away either in 2020, or at the latest after that Spring Training 2021 debacle. I still believe it is the teams intention to continue him in LF.  

I also think Vaughn will fail defensively as an everyday 1B due to his height and lack of defensive skills. You can get a solid front line starting pitcher from the Marlins for Eloy. You’re not getting much back for Vaughn. Including payroll, salary, health and trade return, I’d move Eloy and do what they should have done several years ago and never draft or trade for DH only type players (Vaughn, Burger, Sheets, Grandal, Parrot, Lamb, etc.) in the future. With a four man bench, you can’t suck up more than one slot on a player with no defensive ability. The Sox have had 4-6 the past two seasons.

I think you get substantially more for Vaughn than Eloy.