9/13 vs. Rockies 710CT - Kopech v. Kuhl: A New Streak Starts

ChiSox59

24 minutes ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

Forget Luery for now, let's talk about what the hell we do about Cueto next year. Do we make the same mistake that we did with Rodon?? Before everyone statrs yelling at me and if you read my posts, I'm a big Cueto guy, without him and Cease we'd be just waiting for Bears Football, and that's no bargain, we were lucky Sunday. Would we have got better numbers from Rodon? we'll never know. Cueto will get a payday next year but not from us. 

Rodon was 29 Cueto will be 37 next year 34, Abreu 36, Pollock 35, Hendriks 34, Grandal 34. Age with their inflated salaries is where you cut the fat if it's even movable. Hahn's been doing it backwards , dumping cheap youth for inflated veteran salaries. That's fine if those veterans do what they were supposed to. Kimbrel didn't, Pollock hasn't .

Instead of rewarding the youth like Rodon the Sox let him go,doubled down on Kimbrel, backed themselves into a corner and got a RH OF with age and money. Hahn was fleeced once again . He didn't get youth with an extra year he got age , plus salary plus another year.  The whole Rodon + Kimbrel +Kelly + Leury debacle cost the Sox so much money youth and talent when you throw in how much they spent on Kelly knowing he was injured to boot. It's frightening that the same guy may get a chance to redeem himself.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

58 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Cutting him early in year 2 of his deal is I believe what happened to Keppinger. 

Leury is a sunk cost. Wouldn’t have signed him for three years, but his position flexibility (six positions) makes him worthwhile as the 13th and final man on the bench now that they are paying him whether he is here or not.

He’ll be ok in that role, as long as you don’t have a jackass manager or FO trying to start him 100 + games (or even 60 games).

1 minute ago, pcq said:

We can't count on our core so you need guys like Elvis and Danny around along with the DH guys like Gavin. 

Then you fix the core .Vaughn and Sheets shouldn't be in the OF . Priority should be, as it has been, getting some LH, decent fielding OF's with a bit of speed. Colas is one of them do or die. Bench pieces should be low priority. Fix the lineup and defense.

7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Then you fix the core .Vaughn and Sheets shouldn't be in the OF . Priority should be, as it has been, getting some LH, decent fielding OF's with a bit of speed. Colas is one of them do or die. Bench pieces should be low priority. Fix the lineup and defense.

Honestly, none of those things are the top priority for ‘23. Right now  Davis Martin is their 2023 fifth starter and as far as I can tell their 6th starter is Mr. offday. With everyone other than Cease having some issue this year, they need a starter and it shouldn’t be a cheap back of the rotation guy. Bare minimum of bringing Cueto back is probably a $10 million signing, and unless they have a deep playoff run that is probably half or more of what they have to spend if they go that route.

I could see this being the time to trade Vaughn and clear out the DH logjam if it brings back a starter.

Trade Vaughn you're doubling down on stupidity.

You have to let Abreu go, period.

You don't draft Rodon, Madrigal and Vaughn in the Top 5 to get rid of them with almost nothing to show for it.

Looks carefully at Oscar Gonzalez and Stephen Kwan and how much they cost the Guardians to acquire...shakes head.  Looks at the Top 4 guys down in their bullpen, shakes head again.  Looks at the cost to bring their Top 5 starting pitchers into the rotation, along with Konnor Pilkington.

Getting better production out of Gimenez and Rosario for a shadow of Lindor's contract and 1 fWAR point higher, covering two positions.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Trade Vaughn you're doubling down on stupidity.

You have to let Abreu go, period.

You don't draft Rodon, Madrigal and Vaughn in the Top 5 to get rid of them with almost nothing to show for it.

Looks carefully at Oscar Gonzalez and Stephen Kwan and how much they cost the Guardians to acquire...shakes head.  Looks at the Top 4 guys down in their bullpen, shakes head again.  Looks at the cost to bring their Top 5 starting pitchers into the rotation, along with Konnor Pilkington.

Getting better production out of Gimenez and Rosario for a shadow of Lindor's contract and 1 fWAR point higher, covering two positions.

I would call keeping Vaughn, Sheets, and Eloy on the active roster to be doubling down on stupidity as that’s the thing we know doesn’t work. That sends one of them into the OF.

3 minutes ago, Leonard Zelig said:

Why is Beckham doing so many games on TV?

“He would have been thrown out if he hadn’t been running”

No s%*# Gordon… you mean if he hit the ball into the outfield but just stood in the box, that he would have been out?

Go figure.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I would call keeping Vaughn, Sheets, and Eloy on the active roster to be doubling down on stupidity as that’s the thing we know doesn’t work. That sends one of them into the OF.

Sheets isn’t a major league anything, and should not be part of the discussion or the 2023 White Sox. Vaughn Eloy and Abreu for 1-2 more years covering DH 1B and LF will work out.