Jump to content

Your 2023 Off-Season Plan


ChiSox59
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Superstar Lamar said:

Nimmo is a nice player but you would be buying in to another guy who has missed a lot of time to injuries

Sox would tell him to stop sprinting to first when he walks in order to avoid being injured.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, chw42 said:

Yeah Nimmo is a good bet to miss at least 40 games a year. He's been pretty healthy this year but he actually just got hurt a few days ago. 

It's a risk, but with Nimmo, Pollock, Colas and Robert you have 4 OFs.  Then you can always go back to playing Eloy, AV and Sheets in the OF occasionally as needed, just so long as it is isn't a daily thing, and certainly not 2 of them like all of 22.  

Its also the reason Nimmo can be had for $18-20M rather than much more.  At least he's a really good defender and can play all 3 spots.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, fathom said:

That’s a good call and one I’m sure Tony would love for them to go after once he’s calling the shots.

Wong has a 138 wRC+ vs. R this year. You can maybe platoon him with Romy. 

I just looked at Wong's contract. He's got a $10 million club option with a $2 million buyout for next year. 

Milwaukee's been looking to cut payroll and I bet they don't even pick up the option. They're pretty loaded on the IF. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Wong has a 138 wRC+ vs. R this year. You can maybe platoon him with Romy. 

I just looked at Wong's contract. He's got a $10 million club option with a $2 million buyout for next year. 

Milwaukee's been looking to cut payroll and I bet they don't even pick up the option. They're pretty loaded on the IF. 

Yeah I doubt that option gets picked up unless they want to trade him for something interesting.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
Link to comment
Share on other sites

ERG2PhRX0AMHR3_.jpg

Alright guys, Elmo is our GM. He's busted into Preller's stash. 

Here's the completely unreasonable Off-Season.

  1. Trade Eloy for Jazz Chisholm if the medicals clear out. Might need to do a 3-way deal, but when Eloy hustles he gets hurt. A team might buy into his second half.
  2. Re-sign Abreu. He's consistent, tries, and is generally that dude.
  3. Give Aaron Judge the single fattest contract you could ever fathom. Hell, give him @fathom. Rebuild the Goose Island, but this time the goose is wearing a judge's robe and wig. I know I can get @bmags on board with His Honorable Judge Goose.
  4. Jettison Josh Harrison.
  5. Same for Engel. Man's no longer got it.
  6. Sign Jose Quintana as your swingman.
  7. Give Rodon a contract, even though you're gonna get ripped for losing a pick when you could have gained a pick the previous year. Elmo don't f*** around baby.
  8. giphy.gif
  9. Nuke the coaching staff. Katz can stay due to getting a Cy Young contender annually and some pretty big bullpen wins (Lopez, Lambert, Banks to a degree), but next year he's on the hot seat.
  10. Do a full coaching search. Beg Tito.
  11. Jirschele can get a look for bench coach depending how he does with the Desert Dogs.
  12. Giolito diets with Justin Fields.
  13. If Colas tears up Spring Training, he gets LF to start the year. Pollock as 4th OF.
  14. Trade Gavin Sheets somewhere for something. Thank him for his service.

Lineup:

  • SS - Anderson
  • CF - Robert
  • RF - Judge
  • 1B - Abreu
  • 3B - Moncada
  • DH - Vaughn
  • C - Grandal
  • 2B - Chisholm
  • LF - Colas

Bench:

  • PR / Defensive Sub - Leury, unfortunately. Cut if he starts out bad.
  • 4th OF - Pollock
  • C - Seby Zavala
  • INF - Romy/Mendick

Rotation: 

  • Cease
  • Rodon
  • Lynn
  • Slim Giolito
  • Kopech


Bullpen

  • Hendricks
  • Graveman
  • Lopez
  • Bummer
  • Crochet (piggybacking with Kopech)
  • Kelly
  • Diekman
  • Quintana - 6th starter with Martin.

Unfortunately, Elmo is not our GM. So most likely:

  1. Sign Wil Myers.
  2. Sign Michael Fulmer.
  3. Miguel Cairo is named manager after no extensive search. Rest of staff remains, including McEwing, Boston and Menechino.
  4. "Health got in the way."
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Fire 2
  • Hawk 1
  • TLR 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Going to play devil's advocate here....

Vaughn (2022) 480 ab, 17 HR, .785 OPS

Sheets (career) 504 ab, 25 HR, .753 OPS

Just going to let that sit here. Think what you want for I am unsure of my opinion. I really like Andrew but I still think he is a work in progress.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

Re-sign Elvis Andrus to a 1 year $5 million deal with a team option ($1 million buyout) for 2024 to play 2B. Andrus won't hit like he has so far with the Sox over the course of a whole season, but he's a smart player and actually does the little things well. Something you need on a winning team and something this team lacks quite a lot of. I'm also not convinced the options the Sox have in-house (Romy, Sosa, Yolbert) aren't gonna be a roulette wheel of strikeouts. 

Elvis made 14.25 million this year from Oakland. I understand that he won't be getting anything close to that from anyone next year, but is 5 million a realistic number?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:
  • Cease (arb 1) - $2.5M
  • Kopech (arb 1) - $1.25M
  • Mendick (arb 1) - $1M
  • Giolito (arb 3) - $10M
  • Lopez (arb 3) - $3.5M
  • Engel (arb 3) - NON TENDER
  • Crick (arb 3) - NON TENDER
  • Ruiz (arb 1) - NON TENDER
  • Crochet (pre-arb) - $700k
  • Gonzalez (pre-arb) - $700k
  • Lambert (pre-arb) - $700k
  • Sheets (pre-arb) - $700k
  • Vaughn (pre-arb) - $700k
  • Zavala (pre-arb) - $700k

TOTAL ARB = $22.45M

So before I go into anything further I think the Cease and Kopech projections are notably under what they'll actually get. Cease is going to come in at worst 2nd for the Cy Young this year, he will go into an arb hearing in a strong position. When Giolito was Arb-1, he got $4.1 million. Corbin Burnes coming off a Cy Young caliber season was at $6.5 million this year in Arb 1. The record for an Arb-1 pitcher is apparently Keuchel at $7.25 million. 

Reynaldo Lopez got $2.1 million in his arb-1 year and that was coming off a 2020 where he had a 6.49 ERA. Compare that to the projection of Kopech at 40% lower? Carlos Rodon got $2.3 million in 2018 and he pitched 69 innings in 2017.

Therefore I think both of the top pitchers, Cease and Kopech, are being projected substantially too low, and I think there's at least $5 million in additional spending coming for those 2, possibly more. 

You may be $1 million too high on Giolito, which could offset that a bit, but I also think you have to give an arbitration offer to Ruiz since we aren't sitting on a lot of replacements for him and that'll come in at like $1.25 million or something like that. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, skooch said:

Elvis made 14.25 million this year from Oakland. I understand that he won't be getting anything close to that from anyone next year, but is 5 million a realistic number?

If the White Sox really want to keep him, that amount definitely outbids everyone else. 

More likely IMO is that if the White Sox don't go after him aggressively he sits around for most of the offseason and picks up a barely-major-league contract worth maybe $1-2 million at the end of spring training.

His history of not contributing much is way too long for most teams to gamble on him with anything more than that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, soxfaninfl said:

Going to play devil's advocate here....

Vaughn (2022) 480 ab, 17 HR, .785 OPS

Sheets (career) 504 ab, 25 HR, .753 OPS

Just going to let that sit here. Think what you want for I am unsure of my opinion. I really like Andrew but I still think he is a work in progress.

When we sign Aaron Judge, we trade Sheets to the Yankees.

He will hit 30 home runs in 81 games. However, they will only be at Yankees Stadium. When he misplays a ball the New York Post headline will say "TAKING A SHEETS IN RIGHT FIELD."

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

First, let's lay out 2023 contract commitments:

Guaranteed

  • Lynn - $18.5M
  • Grandal - $18.25M
  • Moncada - $17M
  • Hendriks - $14M
  • Pollock - $13M (player option with $5M buyout)
  • Anderson - $12.5M (team option)
  • Jimenez - $9.5M
  • Robert - $9.5M
  • Kelly - $9M
  • Graveman - $8M
  • Garcia - $5.5M
  • Bummer - $3.75M
  • Diekman - $3.5M

*This assumes White Sox turn down Harrison's $5.5M team option*

*Other impending FA's include Abreu, Cueto, Valasquez, and Andrus*

TOTAL GUARANTEED = $142M

Arbitration Eligible *my estimates for arb totals / non tenders*

  • Cease (arb 1) - $2.5M
  • Kopech (arb 1) - $1.25M
  • Mendick (arb 1) - $1M
  • Giolito (arb 3) - $10M
  • Lopez (arb 3) - $3.5M
  • Engel (arb 3) - NON TENDER
  • Crick (arb 3) - NON TENDER
  • Ruiz (arb 1) - NON TENDER
  • Crochet (pre-arb) - $700k
  • Gonzalez (pre-arb) - $700k
  • Lambert (pre-arb) - $700k
  • Sheets (pre-arb) - $700k
  • Vaughn (pre-arb) - $700k
  • Zavala (pre-arb) - $700k

TOTAL ARB = $22.45M; TOTAL PAYROLL = $164.45M

The White Sox 2022 payroll was ~$197M, so this gives the Sox around $30M to spend to match 2022 payroll

My Offseason Moves

  • First order of business is announcing Tony is re-retiring, and a full blown managerial search is underway.  An entirely new coaching staff with fresh and modern perspectives is sorely needed.  
  • Sign Brandon Nimmo to 4/$80M.  Jump the market and get it done.  He's the best fit on the market and solves a ton of team needs.
  • Sign SP Andrew Heaney (1 year/$9M)
    • There are a slew of options in that $6-12M range, pick one
  • Make the very hard, but necessary, decision to let Jose Abreu play elsewhere.  The other alternative here of course is the Sox resign Abreu to 1/$15M or something, and look to trade AV or Eloy for larger roster shakeup.  Problem is, this makes signing an impact LH bat in the OF that can actually field his position impossible without a legit increase in payroll.  The time is now; let him walk before its too late, but FFS, build him a statue. 

Total payroll comes in ~$194M, a slight reduction on 2022.  

2023 Roster / Lineup

 Anderson SS, Moncada 3B, Robert CF, Eloy DH, Nimmo RF, Vaughn 1B, Pollock LF, Yaz/Seby C, Mendick/Romy 2B

BN: Seby/Yaz, Mendick/Romy, Leury, Sheets

*Colas arrives in May, takes Pollock spot in LF, and makes Pollock 4th OF. Sheets goes to AAA*

*Other 2B options throughout season include Sosa, Yolbert and Rodriguez*

Rotation: Cease, Lynn, Giolito, Kopech, Heaney

Bullpen: Hendriks, Graveman, Bummer, Kelly, Lopez, Crochet, Lambert, Diekman 

*Martin is 6th SP waiting for his opportunity in AAA*

This is a pretty realistic off-season expectation, is that a good enough team to win the division though?  That, I am not so sure about.  Depends which version of Robert, TA and Yoan show up. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, skooch said:

Elvis made 14.25 million this year from Oakland. I understand that he won't be getting anything close to that from anyone next year, but is 5 million a realistic number?

There's a reason why the A's released him before he can hit his vesting option. He's not worth $15 million. He's about to be 34 and has been pretty bad for a while before his stint with the Sox. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gonna sell my house and buy some land somewhere to develop. Then I’ll sell that for another cycle of the same until I’ve got like 18 properties all over the world.

Then I’ll retire.

But specific to 2023, the goal is just to get one up.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think there's very little chance the Sox do anything but shed salary this off-season for the most part.

My prediction:

Abreu, Pollock and Harrison - gone. That removes 40 million from the payroll.

Sox likely use:

RF Colas
CF Robert
LF - Probably sign someone cheap

3B Moncada
SS Tim
2B Sosa
1B Vaughn
DH Eloy
C Grandal

SP Cease
SP Lynn
SP Giolito
SP Kopech
SP Cheap filler - maybe try and catch lightning in a bottle twice with Cueto

Bullpen
Hendriks
Bummer
Kelly
Graveman
Deikman
Ruiz
Lambert
SIgn someone who will be the worst reliever in the game Hahn style (another "major splash" on RP

Bench
Leury
Romy
Engel

That's the 2023 White Sox

No way the old man increases payroll or keeps it that high after missing the playoffs. 

Team will pray they stay healthy and that Grandal/Moncada/Robert bounce back 100% and play better

Is this what I would do? Obviously not. But this is what I see them doing.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Why would the Sox keep Abreu for another year or 2?, and trade his replacement?  Sheets is not better than Vaughn at 1B.  This team needs to get younger, not older.

The problem is Jerry. I have no doubt that the FO have concerns with Abreu and his lack of power. Hell, they have a more than capable replace staring them in the face with AV. Jerry stepping in like he did last time or finally sitting on the sidelines will be the determining factor on what happens with Jose.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

So before I go into anything further I think the Cease and Kopech projections are notably under what they'll actually get. Cease is going to come in at worst 2nd for the Cy Young this year, he will go into an arb hearing in a strong position. When Giolito was Arb-1, he got $4.1 million. Corbin Burnes coming off a Cy Young caliber season was at $6.5 million this year in Arb 1. The record for an Arb-1 pitcher is apparently Keuchel at $7.25 million. 

Reynaldo Lopez got $2.1 million in his arb-1 year and that was coming off a 2020 where he had a 6.49 ERA. Compare that to the projection of Kopech at 40% lower? Carlos Rodon got $2.3 million in 2018 and he pitched 69 innings in 2017.

Therefore I think both of the top pitchers, Cease and Kopech, are being projected substantially too low, and I think there's at least $5 million in additional spending coming for those 2, possibly more. 

You may be $1 million too high on Giolito, which could offset that a bit, but I also think you have to give an arbitration offer to Ruiz since we aren't sitting on a lot of replacements for him and that'll come in at like $1.25 million or something like that. 

Does anybody know if arb is based on a weighted WAR scale in the new CBA?  Thought I remembered seeing that and I was looking for confirmation yesterday online with no success.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So here's an alternate concept. Opening caveats: last year I was vehemently opposed to Chisox59 and others' suggestion of picking up Craig Kimbrel's option and letting Rodon go. This year - I totally get where he's trying to go with this setup, addressing the LH issue in the OF which I have to admit is a major one.

However, I believe he's left one major flaw in his roster design - that starting rotation. 

To put some numbers on this - Houston has gotten 24.7 fWAR out of their pitchers this year, best in the league. The White Sox have gotten 15.7 fWAR, 10th in the league. Cleveland is 9th at 16.5. 2.5 of that difference is out of the bullpen, which is just super frustrating given the boatloads of money spent there, but still leaves an enormous gap in the starters. If you look at the rotation, it looks even worse - Verlander Vs. Cease, McCullers vs. Lynn, Valdez vs. Kopech, Javier vs. Giolito, Urquidy or Garcia against 5th starter/Martin? Every one of those matchups favors the Astros right now.

So the White Sox are already starting at a deficit, and they are losing Cueto in this setup who provided a desperately needed 2.1 fWAR. Keuchel only was a -0.3 fWAR player, so getting rid of Keuchel's starts is basically a rounding error.

Between losing Cueto and already being 4 to 8 fWAR behind the really good teams with him, I submit that the starting rotation is a major problem for the 2023 White Sox as presented here. While Kopech has the largest upside, and Giolito does as well, the White Sox could add Nimmo to their roster and still wind up not good enough to keep up with the big teams. A guy like Heaney who put up <1 fWAR this season, signed for $9 million, leaves the White Sox with a starting rotation that will be wobbly the whole year at best, and which could straight up collapse given that Heaney has only thrown 61 innings this year and put up an ERA of 5.83 in 2021. It may still get them past Cleveland if a lot of things go right, but the Astros, Yankees, and other teams are better than that on paper. Thus, when I do this one, I'm fixing the starting rotation first and worrying about the LH bat as a backup plan. 

Given that, I'm going to do something I don't want to do, but that I don't see any way to seriously upgrade the rotation without doing. I need to target a pitcher who is in their arb years, who is affordable financially because I can't pay Rodon, who has more than 1 year of control because of what I have to trade, but who might actually be a guy their team might move.

1. Andrew Vaughn + Carlos Perez to Milwaukee for Brandon Woodruff or Corbin Burnes and Keston Hiura
-I have no choice but to move Vaughn in a deal like this. I am unwilling to move Montgomery, and the White Sox have 0 other top 100 prospects who could catch someone's interest. 4 years of control on Vaughn + 6 years of control on Perez is going to get Milwaukee's interest. This gets me 2 years of control of a top of the rotation arm, and the next 2 years are all I care about for this team anyway. 

I have added about $10 million total with them. Hiura is a talented former prospect who has been up and down a lot, he makes my roster next year because he's going to Platoon with Sheets to start the year. Hiura may or may not be in arbitration next year, I think this depends on where he comes down relative to the Super-2 rules and that's a bit beyond me to figure out.

Yes, I have just left myself with a 1b setup of Sheets and Hiura. I'm not thrilled about this either, but both of them hit RHP fairly well which the White Sox do need. Hiura can also play some 2b, so if Sosa is struggling, I could have Hiura at 2b and Sheets at 1b against right handed pitching. I am also open to other concepts here, I'm not sure they'd do it in the division, but could Vaughn interest the Guardians for Bieber? 

2. I still definitely need OF help because yes, Eloy is going to DH. I've spent about $10 million and I think I have about $10 million to spend, so I'm priced out of Nimmo already even assuming no big payroll cuts. We finally have to go out and sign a mid-level, LH hitting OF. Thankfully there are likely to be several options here - Conforto if healthy, Pederson, Gallo, or here we go - spend $8 million on Cody Bellinger when the Dodgers choose not to offer him arbitration. He also adds another player who could fill in some time at 1b.

So my lineup:
Anderson SS
Moncada 3b
Robert CF (assuming his hand isn't being amputated)
Jimenez (DH)
Grandal (C)
Hiura/Sheets (1b)
Sosa/Gonzalez (2b)
Pollock/Bellinger (LF)
Colas/Bellinger (RF)

Rotation:
Cease
Corbin
Lynn
Kopech
Giolito
Martin (6th starter)

At the very least, this is a potentially dominant starting rotation, this is a starting rotation that has a shot at hanging with Houston. The lineup is not as good as the one in the first post, but I haven't pushed the payroll as much as the first post, and I am not starting from behind on pitching. Fix Moncada and get the lineup to take some walks and it still scores a bunch.

Unfortunately, I don't see any easy way to fix both the starting rotation and grab Nimmo at the same time. that's the choice RH has made for us given the sheer number of bad moves he has made. Thus, I can't say that this is clearly better than going after Nimmo, and I can't be outraged if they went that route, because frankly there's a good chance that neither of them works. This is one version of how it looks if you try to fix the rotation and go with patches in the OF. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So here's an alternate concept. Opening caveats: last year I was vehemently opposed to Chisox59 and others' suggestion of picking up Craig Kimbrel's option and letting Rodon go. This year - I totally get where he's trying to go with this setup, addressing the LH issue in the OF which I have to admit is a major one.

However, I believe he's left one major flaw in his roster design - that starting rotation. 

To put some numbers on this - Houston has gotten 24.7 fWAR out of their pitchers this year, best in the league. The White Sox have gotten 15.7 fWAR, 10th in the league. Cleveland is 9th at 16.5. 2.5 of that difference is out of the bullpen, which is just super frustrating given the boatloads of money spent there, but still leaves an enormous gap in the starters. If you look at the rotation, it looks even worse - Verlander Vs. Cease, McCullers vs. Lynn, Valdez vs. Kopech, Javier vs. Giolito, Urquidy or Garcia against 5th starter/Martin? Every one of those matchups favors the Astros right now.

So the White Sox are already starting at a deficit, and they are losing Cueto in this setup who provided a desperately needed 2.1 fWAR. Keuchel only was a -0.3 fWAR player, so getting rid of Keuchel's starts is basically a rounding error.

Between losing Cueto and already being 4 to 8 fWAR behind the really good teams with him, I submit that the starting rotation is a major problem for the 2023 White Sox as presented here. While Kopech has the largest upside, and Giolito does as well, the White Sox could add Nimmo to their roster and still wind up not good enough to keep up with the big teams. A guy like Heaney who put up <1 fWAR this season, signed for $9 million, leaves the White Sox with a starting rotation that will be wobbly the whole year at best, and which could straight up collapse given that Heaney has only thrown 61 innings this year and put up an ERA of 5.83 in 2021. It may still get them past Cleveland if a lot of things go right, but the Astros, Yankees, and other teams are better than that on paper. Thus, when I do this one, I'm fixing the starting rotation first and worrying about the LH bat as a backup plan. 

Given that, I'm going to do something I don't want to do, but that I don't see any way to seriously upgrade the rotation without doing. I need to target a pitcher who is in their arb years, who is affordable financially because I can't pay Rodon, who has more than 1 year of control because of what I have to trade, but who might actually be a guy their team might move.

1. Andrew Vaughn + Carlos Perez to Milwaukee for Brandon Woodruff or Corbin Burnes and Keston Hiura
-I have no choice but to move Vaughn in a deal like this. I am unwilling to move Montgomery, and the White Sox have 0 other top 100 prospects who could catch someone's interest. 4 years of control on Vaughn + 6 years of control on Perez is going to get Milwaukee's interest. This gets me 2 years of control of a top of the rotation arm, and the next 2 years are all I care about for this team anyway. 

I have added about $10 million total with them. Hiura is a talented former prospect who has been up and down a lot, he makes my roster next year because he's going to Platoon with Sheets to start the year. Hiura may or may not be in arbitration next year, I think this depends on where he comes down relative to the Super-2 rules and that's a bit beyond me to figure out.

Yes, I have just left myself with a 1b setup of Sheets and Hiura. I'm not thrilled about this either, but both of them hit RHP fairly well which the White Sox do need. Hiura can also play some 2b, so if Sosa is struggling, I could have Hiura at 2b and Sheets at 1b against right handed pitching. I am also open to other concepts here, I'm not sure they'd do it in the division, but could Vaughn interest the Guardians for Bieber? 

2. I still definitely need OF help because yes, Eloy is going to DH. I've spent about $10 million and I think I have about $10 million to spend, so I'm priced out of Nimmo already even assuming no big payroll cuts. We finally have to go out and sign a mid-level, LH hitting OF. Thankfully there are likely to be several options here - Conforto if healthy, Pederson, Gallo, or here we go - spend $8 million on Cody Bellinger when the Dodgers choose not to offer him arbitration. He also adds another player who could fill in some time at 1b.

So my lineup:
Anderson SS
Moncada 3b
Robert CF (assuming his hand isn't being amputated)
Jimenez (DH)
Grandal (C)
Hiura/Sheets (1b)
Sosa/Gonzalez (2b)
Pollock/Bellinger (LF)
Colas/Bellinger (RF)

Rotation:
Cease
Corbin
Lynn
Kopech
Giolito
Martin (6th starter)

At the very least, this is a potentially dominant starting rotation, this is a starting rotation that has a shot at hanging with Houston. The lineup is not as good as the one in the first post, but I haven't pushed the payroll as much as the first post, and I am not starting from behind on pitching. Fix Moncada and get the lineup to take some walks and it still scores a bunch.

Unfortunately, I don't see any easy way to fix both the starting rotation and grab Nimmo at the same time. that's the choice RH has made for us given the sheer number of bad moves he has made. Thus, I can't say that this is clearly better than going after Nimmo, and I can't be outraged if they went that route, because frankly there's a good chance that neither of them works. This is one version of how it looks if you try to fix the rotation and go with patches in the OF. 

I agree, this team needs better SP if they want to win a playoff game.  I'd love to see Burnes in a Sox uniform, Milwaukee might consider that deal if you toss in Dylan Cease, no chance they give him up for only AV.

Maybe they would listen on Woodruff with his Reynaud's syndrome concerns and ankle injury this year.

Edited by JoeCredeYes
to be more open minded
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I think there's very little chance the Sox do anything but shed salary this off-season for the most part.

My prediction:

Abreu, Pollock and Harrison - gone. That removes 40 million from the payroll.

Sox likely use:

RF Colas
CF Robert
LF - Probably sign someone cheap

3B Moncada
SS Tim
2B Sosa
1B Vaughn
DH Eloy
C Grandal

SP Cease
SP Lynn
SP Giolito
SP Kopech
SP Cheap filler - maybe try and catch lightning in a bottle twice with Cueto

Bullpen
Hendriks
Bummer
Kelly
Graveman
Deikman
Ruiz
Lambert
SIgn someone who will be the worst reliever in the game Hahn style (another "major splash" on RP

Bench
Leury
Romy
Engel

That's the 2023 White Sox

No way the old man increases payroll or keeps it that high after missing the playoffs. 

Team will pray they stay healthy and that Grandal/Moncada/Robert bounce back 100% and play better

Is this what I would do? Obviously not. But this is what I see them doing.

This is probably the most realistic option we are looking at here. Pollock is not going to decline that option though. Unless you're saying he goes in a move for another bad reliever I suppose.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

I'd love to see Burnes in a Sox uniform, Milwaukee might consider that deal if you toss in Dylan Cease, no chance in hell Vaughn returns either of those guys. 

Burnes and Woodruff each have only 2 years of control remaining. Right now is exactly when Milwaukee might move them. In fact, I would go so far as to say that Milwaukee probably moves both of them by the trade deadline next year. That's exactly how they handled Hader. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...