Jump to content

Kopech has knee surgery - expected to be ready for ST


maxjusttyped
 Share

Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Kopech will be 27 next April. Time to unleash him and if he can't stay healthy, so be it. 

Not sure if I agree with the full sentiment, but yeah - at this point I'd say his arm is basically back to being "built up" (if it ever actually was).

He's at basically 120 innings for the year. Getting him to the 160 ~ 180 range next year basically just involves keeping him healthy, given how short starters go nowadays.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I would consider trading Liam Hendriks and try Kopech at Closer if he would go along with such a plan.

Kopech  might actually like that role and it would certainly add to his longevity in the game.

Leg obviously has to heal after surgery before any plan to rehab is formulated.

 

Edited by tray
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, tray said:

I would consider trading Kimbrell and try Kopech at Closer if he would go along with such a plan.

Kopech  might actually like that role and it would certainly add to his longevity in the game.

Leg obviously has to heal after surgery before any plan to rehab is formulated.

 

Give it one more year. Once he's healthy, unleash him and if he breaks, then he's a reliever in 2024. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Give it one more year. Once he's healthy, unleash him and if he breaks, then he's a reliever in 2024. 

He is never healthy.  At some you can't keep telling yourself guys will stay healthy.  Before Eloy lost huge parts of 2021 and 2022 he missed the playoffs in 2020.

You are either injury prone or you ae not and the White Sox are full of injury prone guys.  Other than Robert these become issues at the MLB level.  Robert has always been hurt.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

He is never healthy.  At some you can't keep telling yourself guys will stay healthy.  Before Eloy lost huge parts of 2021 and 2022 he missed the playoffs in 2020.

You are either injury prone or you ae not and the White Sox are full of injury prone guys.  Other than Robert these become issues at the MLB level.  Robert has always been hurt.

 

 

If you truly believe that, then you support another full rebuild, no? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

 

The first thought that went through my mind was this reminded me of the type of comments surrounding Carlos Rodon's injury with his shoulder a few years ago. Sox kept saying he was on-track, they were being cautious...long story short, if I remember right he missed a lot of time than had additional surgery.

Edited by Lip Man 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, tray said:

I would consider trading Liam Hendriks and try Kopech at Closer if he would go along with such a plan.

Kopech  might actually like that role and it would certainly add to his longevity in the game.

Leg obviously has to heal after surgery before any plan to rehab is formulated.

 

Kopech has the upside of one of the best SP in the game. He has only 3 years of control left because Sox horribly mishandled him. You gotta keep him as as a SP for now. Hard pass on moving him to the pen and creating another gaping hole in the rotation. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Kopech has the upside of one of the best SP in the game. He has only 3 years of control left because Sox horribly mishandled him. You gotta keep him as as a SP for now. Hard pass on moving him to the pen and creating another gaping hole in the rotation. 

Yeah, moving Kopech to the bullpen would be the definition of insanity.  He is going to have a Cease like breakout at some point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, reiks12 said:

Remember when we were all celebrating the haul Hahn got for Sale? Of the only two players in that trade that made it to the majors, one doesnt want to play and the other never can.

That trade has gone south for both teams over the last few years. 

Sale wasn't even a major contributor to the Sawx 2018 championship, as he was injured most of the season and only pitched a few times out of the bullpen during the playoffs. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

He is never healthy.  At some you can't keep telling yourself guys will stay healthy.  Before Eloy lost huge parts of 2021 and 2022 he missed the playoffs in 2020.

You are either injury prone or you ae not and the White Sox are full of injury prone guys.  Other than Robert these become issues at the MLB level.  Robert has always been hurt.

 

 

I feel like it’s a little more nuanced than you either are or aren’t injury prone.

Take someone like Aaron Judge. 
2017: Played in 96% of his team’s games
2018: 70%
2019: 63%
2020: 47%
2021: 91%
2022: 97%

Is he injury prone or not?

I’m not saying some guys aren’t more of a risk than others, but to definitively decide now that he’ll never stay healthy seems shortsighted.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

That trade has gone south for both teams over the last few years. 

Sale wasn't even a major contributor to the Sawx 2018 championship, as he was injured most of the season and only pitched a few times out of the bullpen during the playoffs. 

Sale was a 6.5 rWAR pitcher in 2018 and finished 4th in the Cy Young voting. 2.11 ERA in a 150 inning season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Sale was a 6.5 rWAR pitcher in 2018 and finished 4th in the Cy Young voting. 2.11 ERA in a 150 inning season.

He was great until his arm fell off in August. 

They didn't have him when they needed him the most. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

He did, out of the bullpen. And I think he closed the clincher. They didn't trade for him to be a closer. 

Your argument in invalid. He was a Cy young candidate even missing some time that season and helped them win the World Series in the playoffs, granted out of the bullpen. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

He was great until his arm fell off in August. 

They didn't have him when they needed him the most. 

To some degree, they won so many games that they did have him when they did most of their important work, at least in the regular season. They had a 10 game lead after Sale's last start of the season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/17/2022 at 4:13 PM, southsider2k5 said:

 

Why wait so long after the season ended, I've had 2 knee surgeries and sometimes things take longer than expected, season ended 6 weeks ago, that is 6 weeks more to get the knee in shape.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Why wait so long after the season ended, I've had 2 knee surgeries and sometimes things take longer than expected, season ended 6 weeks ago, that is 6 weeks more to get the knee in shape.

This thread was posted on October first and they provided an update yesterday. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...