RIP 2022 White Sox

southsider2k5

4 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

Final game of the season they couldn't wait to quit.

Not having Abreu play and him taking the high road is just another middle finger to the fans.   I wonder if that came from upstairs? Either way that tells you Cairo is never the guy,

Abreu asked to sit. 

On 10/5/2022 at 6:41 PM, Bob Sacamano said:

Thank Christ it’s finally over.

First time in my life as a Sox fan I've felt this way at the end of a season. No hyperbole. Yes thank goodness this season is OVA. I just see a lot of unlikeable players and really no possible scenario that this thing gets turned around anytime soon. I wonder if Hawk sensed what was coming when he retired. Don't know how he'd have handled calling these boring games.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Abreu asked to sit. 

I read the story. It's kind of neat Jose wanted to take in the sights and sounds and smells watching the game with Cairo. He probably was feeling out whether he could envision managing someday. With no reason to play, it's neat he enjoyed just hanging out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cuban_sammiches said:

I think the Naylor HR game was soul crushing.

That was the game we blew a 6-run lead in the ninth or something? When Sox blew that big lead, in retrospect the season was over. We knew the team was a trainwreck with a poorly constructed roster by a bad GM and an over the hill manager writing the lineup cards.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Passionate here as well but luckily have plenty of other passions.

Yeah, I do too but not exactly things I can do a nightly basis.  I have next to no interest in football.  I like college hoops, but doesn't return for another month.  

Lots of boring weeknights without baseball at my place.  I got my first kid on the way though, that'll change things in a hurry lol.  

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah, I do too but not exactly things I can do a nightly basis.  I have next to no interest in football.  I like college hoops, but doesn't return for another month.  

Lots of boring weeknights without baseball at my place.  I got my first kid on the way though, that'll change things in a hurry lol.  

Congrats!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Worst season I can remember.  Watching this team war difficult to stomach.

In 1905, during one of the worst winters on record, the ship “Susanna” took 99 days rounding Cape Horn . Captain Christian Jürgens, sitting at anchor off of Iquique, Chilie, simply wrote in his log, So ends, So ends this blasted passage . now that this long and frustrating season is over, here's hoping that out next voyage will have clear sailing ahead,

• Like 1

Expectations suck so much because they tend to draw you in, instill empty confidence, and always leave you believing things will eventually turnaround.  No matter how frustrated I became throughout the season, I just couldn't resist watching or tuning in to listen to games...only to be left asking myself why I chose to subject myself to more misery, anger, and frustration.  I just couldn't shake off the expectations that not only the org set for themselves, but that I set based on this roster and previous performance.....Charlie Brown and the football situation.

Alas, next spring I'll fall right back into the same trap.  I'll blame the weather for underperformance.  Or maybe it's an umpires fault.  Or maybe I'll believe someone is playing hurt.  No matter the cause, I'm a White Sox fan and therefore a masochist.  Maybe things will go our way next season?  I know I'll be watching/listening to find out!

• Like 1

I just hope that the players on this team that underperformed and got frequently injured this year, are going to commit to an intense and smart offseason training regime on their own to get in the best shape possible. I would hope they take pride and are embarrassed and frustrated enough, to work on their fundamentals weaknesses and skills that allowed them to perform so poorly. 

On 10/6/2022 at 11:13 AM, 35thstreetswarm said:

As I put my kid to bed the other night, I looked at the Anderson and Moncada fatheads on his wall, the "Southside" flag he has hung up, and all the other Sox memorabilia he has collected and just got so angry.  He's a fan because of me, just as I'm a fan because of my dad.  We live in just about the heaviest Cubs neighborhood imaginable (even live across the street from a Cubs WS hero from 2016) and yet he and my other sons have remained die-hard Sox fans throughout their childhoods.  They suffered through a rebuild that chewed up their formative years while their friends' team celebrated, I suspect largely out of loyalty to their dad.  For years they have fended off their Cub fan friends by parroting what they heard from me:  just wait 'til 2021/2022/2023, that's our time.  Just wait. 

We went to 20 games in what should have been a season of joy, all the while I could tell they were looking at me wondering "so, when's this gonna happen? I told everybody this was going to happen, dad, so what's going on?"  The answer, of course, was that it was not going to happen at all, and I'm not sure it ever will.  Honestly, I feel guilty for believing in this franchise and worse for inflicting my kids with this Sox fan disease.  Screw this team for making that happen.  Screw them especially because they had legitimate success in their grasp and arrogantly pissed it away because of a dysfunctional front office beholden to a capricious, dictatorial owner.

I know it's just sports.  I have plenty of thoughts on what can be done to (hopefully) turn this around. But for now I'm just stewing in anger. That is all.

You have every right to be pissed and all of us here feel your pain. It's good we all vent and share our anger for this terrible season based on this shitty owner, terrible GM and horrific manager. Most of us are no different than you. My dad is the reason I'm a diehard fan. I have lived through many frustrating seasons as all of us have. This one is without a doubt the worst season ever in my time. However I will keep the faith and hope we turn this around somehow. I know it won't be easy and maybe it won't happen until Jerry sells the team.

I thought we were heading in the right direction in 2020. The only thing that will help me hang in there is the hope that one day in the future, I get to live that joy and total euphoria that I experienced watching my favorite team win the 2005 World Series. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/5/2022 at 8:50 PM, The Beast said:

This thread is appropriate, but what games stand out as bad losses this year?

- The Naylor HR game

- The Diamondbacks sweep 

- The extra inning loss in Detroit

The Guardians game when we were up 3-1 in the 7 th and Cairo brought the rookie Jimmy Lambert to protect that lead, and proceeded to walk the first two batters  who both eventually scored. All thatwhileThe more experienced and better ReyLo was grabbing some bench in the bullpen.

9 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

NBA regular season is starting next week.  NHL Hockey is starting as well.  There is Netflix also.  You never run out of choices if you like movies or series.  Good luck.