Will Abreu be a White Sox in 2023?

chitownsportsfan

Will Abreu return to the White Sox in 2023?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Jose returning next year?

• Yes, he will sign a new deal
    • No, he will sign elsewhere

This poll is closed to new votes

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Ended with .750 OPS. Not nearly good enough going forward. Trade him!

Everyone pretty much sucked this year. And it is only his 2nd full year in the majors after barely any time in the minor leagues. I wouldn't give up on him to keep Jose for another year

On 3/16/2022 at 4:26 PM, chitownsportsfan said:

Could be but the impression I get is that he's thinking about his family and is tired of baseball a bit, maybe climbing the mountain so many times but not quite summiting has gotten to him.  Quite the contrast from "I'll sign myself" a couple years ago.

my bet is he signs with the Guardians or Astros

10 hours ago, Quin said:

For me, it comes down to what Eloy can bring back on the trade market.

Right now the options are:

Eloy + Vaughn
Eloy + Abreu + Vaughn traded (likely in a package deal)
Abreu + Vaughn + Eloy traded (likely in a lateral trade or for multiple pieces)
Keep all three and pray Eloy doesn't kill himself playing the field.

The way I see it, option 3 has the best chance of bringing back a second baseman (Torres? Chisholm?) that can solve a big hole in the White Sox lineup. A new hitting coach can hopefully solve the power issue.

I'm worried that both Eloy and Abreu won't be on the team in 2023. The 2 best hitters on the team  being gone would be  terrible. I'm under the impression that Eloys days are numbered here. Just in the last week and a half he was benched 3 times. Eloy has been great since the All Star break and he has been benched recently for no good reason.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I'm worried that both Eloy and Abreu won't be on the team in 2023. The 2 best hitters on the team  being gone would be  terrible. I'm under the impression that Eloys days are numbered here. Just in the last week and a half he was benched 3 times. Eloy has been great since the All Star break and he has been benched recently for no good reason.

Eloy is only valuable to the Sox.  I think you have to given him another year to see what happens. It's foolish to try to trade him now when value is definitely low.  Plus the Sox have the most naive GM in baseball.  I wonder how many organizations are into players than can only DH except the Sox. 

1 hour ago, kgrittenburg said:

my bet is he signs with the Guardians or Astros

2 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

or the Twins....

This scenario is the other reason I'm in the Keep Abreu camp. It keeps him away from hypothetical rivals.

This team backed itself into an idiotic corner and it needs to figure a way out.

If only Daryl Boston could teach Eloy how to field a ball.

5 minutes ago, Quin said:

This scenario is the other reason I'm in the Keep Abreu camp. It keeps him away from hypothetical rivals.

This team backed itself into an idiotic corner and it needs to figure a way out.

If only Daryl Boston could teach Eloy how to field a ball.

The Cubs couldn't do it either.   That trade might not have happened if the NL had the DH.

4 hours ago, pcq said:

Vaughn is becoming a disappointment. Worst glove ever. Hitting is up and down. 

Barely played 1B all season, yet alone the past couple of years cuz of Abreu and the manager. Gotta develop defensively too. He'll get better.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Barely played 1B all season, yet alone the past couple of years cuz of Abreu and the manager. Gotta develop defensively too. He'll get better.

Sox fans like to give up on players early in their careers.  Imagine Judge was on the Sox.  They would've wanted to trade him 2018. Hahn would have traded him for an overpriced bullpen guy or some other player that a team needed a salary dump.

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

I think you have to see what he can do next year but he has been injured a lot, has publicly stated many times how he hates being a DH and is a poor fielder.

Those are real handicaps. 

43 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

The Cubs couldn't do it either.   That trade might not have happened if the NL had the DH.

It's funny you brought this up. I spoke with a member of the mainstream media who has been covering Chicago's baseball teams for years. They told me Hahn is furious that the Cubs basically have been laughing at him for getting Eloy and supposedly they are privately telling other teams the same thing. The thinking is like you said, the Cubs knew his limitations and sold him off to whomever would take him.

To me his issue is he has to lose weight and gain flexibility. Just look at videos of him from 2020, he's gotten huge muscle-wise.

• Haha 2
  • Hawk 1

11 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

It's funny you brought this up. I spoke with a member of the mainstream media who has been covering Chicago's baseball teams for years. They told me Hahn is furious that the Cubs basically have been laughing at him for getting Eloy and supposedly they are privately telling other teams the same thing. The thinking is like you said, the Cubs knew his limitations and sold him off to whomever would take him.

To me his issue is he has to lose weight and gain flexibility. Just look at videos of him from 2020, he's gotten huge muscle-wise.

you can't possibly be serious. the same could be said in reverse accept actually accurate. we also you know, got a fucking 6 WAR SP out of the deal, regardless of how many IP he has left in his arm.

eloy is a baller, he needs to be a DH, that's on the org, not him.

• Fire 1

22 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

That's why I can't stand the DH.  It's viewed as a lazy position.

25 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Not sure why Hahn is furious.  I think it's one of those rare occasions the Sox got the better deal.  Kimbrel trade was the payback.  

11 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Not sure why Hahn is furious.  I think it's one of those rare occasions the Sox got the better deal.  Kimbrel trade was the payback.  

Hahn doesn't like being laughed at by his peers is my guess.

31 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Hahn getting laughed at for acquiring Eloy and Cease for Q seems like the wrong reason to laugh at Hahn. There are plenty of other and way more valid reasons for Hahn to be laughed at. 

Edited by Sleepy Harold

5 hours ago, fathom said:

Ended with .750 OPS. Not nearly good enough going forward. Trade him!

He is age 24. This is only his second season playing more than 55 professional games. He will continue to improve in terms of handling a full season, growing stronger as he approaches his likely peak age 26-28 seasons.

He is still way ahead of most of his age 24 peers (21st overall in HR for age 24 players). His WAR takes a beating because he is not a competent outfielder, though that’s on the Sox, not him.

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Hahn cares more about what fans and others say about him than he does in performing his job, learning about his industry, and hiring quality competent people to fill in the gaps in his resume such as talent evaluation.

Ted Phillps and the McCaskey family admit to having little to no football qualifications. Jerry and Rick act as though they have qualifications that they do not in fact possess outside of merely incompetently existing in their respective roles all these decades.

Capable at business and negotiations? Yes, no doubt, top businesspeople IMO.

Smart people, articulate? Yes, unquestioned.

Competent baseball executives in terms of producing a quality and consistent on field product? No, also unquestioned, though I don’t believe that is their actual top priority. It’s merely a stated priority to sell tickets and maintain fan interest.

If Hahn doesn’t want to be laughed at by his peers and fans, he could start by not acting like a four year old and stop throwing tv remote controls, and punching file cabinets, or being obsessed about others think about him. This is not how an executive should act or behave, it how a child acts and behaves. Become a competent baseball executive, the criticism will cease. 

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

He is age 24. This is only his second season playing more than 55 professional games. He will continue to improve in terms of handling a full season, growing stronger as he approaches his likely peak age 26-28 seasons.

He is still way ahead of most of his age 24 peers (21st overall in HR for age 24 players). His WAR takes a beating because he is not a competent outfielder, though that’s on the Sox, not him.

Hahn cares more about what fans and others say about him than he does in performing his job, learning about his industry, and hiring quality competent people to fill in the gaps in his resume such as talent evaluation.

Ted Phillps and the McCaskey family admit to having little to no football qualifications. Jerry and Rick act as though they have qualifications that they do not in fact possess outside of merely incompetently existing in their respective roles all these decades.

Capable at business and negotiations? Yes, no doubt, top businesspeople IMO.

Smart people, articulate? Yes, unquestioned.

Competent baseball executives in terms of producing a quality and consistent on field product? No, also unquestioned, though I don’t believe that is their actual top priority. It’s merely a stated priority to sell tickets and maintain fan interest.

If Hahn doesn’t want to be laughed at by his peers and fans, he could start by not acting like a four year old and stop throwing tv remote controls, and punching file cabinets, or being obsessed about others think about him. This is not how an executive should act or behave, it how a child acts and behaves. Become a competent baseball executive, the criticism will cease. 

Just wondering, has he actually done this? I know Kenny in Baltimore turned over a post game food table and called the team "bitches" but I've never heard of Hahn going off the deep end. 

8 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

This media member is an absolute idiot if he believes that. The cubs got absolutely scorched in that deal even if Eloy decides he’s done with baseball and retires this offseason. There is no way they’re flaunting that deal and no way Hahn is furious about it. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I wish that Hahn had made more trades like the one he did with the Cubs. Getting Eloy and Cease  was one of the best trades in the history  of the franchise.

• Texsox locked this topic