Cody Bellinger to the Cubs

TradeTalk

41 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Adam Engel has never been worth 1.7 fWAR in a season. If players of that caliber were so easy to find, we wouldn't see the Sox run replacement level black holes out at so many different positions year after year after year.

35 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

6 of one half dozen of the other. Both past their glory years although Engel didn't have any glory years

the idea was signing a role player. Engel pprovides gold glove caliber fielding at 3 outfield positions and very good speed. He could be signed for maybe $2-3M whereas as the .200 average Bellinger is making $ 17.5M

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It's an overpay for both of them . You can get AAAA players who gave you what Engel did for MLB minimum but I'll agree that its a very large overpay for Bellinger.

Bellinger was a 1.7 WAR player last year and projects to be in the same range again next season. Obviously there is also a much higher ceiling with him than a limited role player like Engel.  Acting as if the 27 year old, former MVP, is permanently cooked because of 2 bad years at the plate seems foolish to me. I think he probably is done as an impact hitter, but that isn't a certainty.

Spending 17.5M on a ~1.7 WAR player is far from the end of the world. Average players like that still have value and the Sox not having enough of them & instead carrying a roster filled with replacement level garbage is part of why they bottomed out last year and why Hahn/KW have struggled so mightily to build sustainable contenders.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

10 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Bellinger was a 1.7 WAR player last year and projects to be in the same range again next season. Obviously there is also a much higher ceiling with him than a limited role player like Engel.  Acting as if the 27 year old, former MVP, is permanently cooked because of 2 bad years at the plate seems foolish to me. I think he probably is done as an impact hitter, but that isn't a certainty.

Spending 17.5M on a ~1.7 WAR player is far from the end of the world. Average players like that still have value and the Sox not having enough of them & instead carrying a roster filled with replacement level garbage is part of why they bottomed out last year and why Hahn/KW have struggled so mightily to build sustainable contenders.

It's 1 year . It's all tilted in the player side. Guys like Bellinger are praying to return to 3 WaR  status just to use that team for that end. It does nothing for the Sox unless you get guys just like him already on the Sox to rebound just as much as they need Bellinger to rebound. It's a crapshoot on top of 8 crapshoots already. Id rather just find young OFers with upside and the same type of speed and defense that Bellinger provides. That's where the majority of his War is coming from anyway. It's sure not his hitting.

Sox  just have to keep an eye on trades and see how the OF situations around the league shake out. I already suggested DFA guys that apparently no one wanted except the Yomiuri Giants and the Nationals, but Hahn went with Payton. This is where are are. Which is why I was making those suggestions in the 1st place. Pining over losing Bellinger and paying 17.5M for him for a year seems like wasted wishes.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

9 hours ago, fathom said:

Yep sounds like Taillon is happening 

You are saying this like it's a big move.  This is a nothing move, as was Bellinger.  The Bellinger move was actually a terrible move if they think he will turn it around.

On the radio this morning this was the big news.  It was a a lesser move than Clevenger. 

They will sign Dansby Swanson and David Robertson and it will be like the White Sox often are, a paper offseason win with no real substance.

Actually I didn't realize Swanson had that good of a season.  If they get him that will be a big move. 

Edited by Harry Chappas

11 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

You are saying this like it's a big move.  This is a nothing move, as was Bellinger.  The Bellinger move was actually a terrible move if they think he will turn it around.

On the radio this morning this was the big news.  It was a a lesser move than Clevenger. 

They will sign Dansby Swanson and David Robertson and it will be like the White Sox often are, a paper offseason win with no real substance.

Actually I didn't realize Swanson had that good of a season.  If they get him that will be a big move. 

Cubs are gonna sign a bunch of 2 WAR players and the Chicago media just eats it up. 

Swanson was a 6 WAR player last year, but moving forward, he's probably more of a 3-4 WAR player. 

5 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Cubs are gonna sign a bunch of 2 WAR players and the Chicago media just eats it up. 

Swanson was a 6 WAR player last year, but moving forward, he's probably more of a 3-4 WAR player. 

Yeah if you told me the Cubs spent 33 million yesterday on 2023, I would have figured they signed Correa.  I think they sign Swanson and Vazquez the next few days.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yeah if you told me the Cubs spent 33 million yesterday on 2023, I would have figured they signed Correa.  I think they sign Swanson and Vazquez the next few days.

I'd rather have Bogearts if he and Swanson end up costing about the same. 

15 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What SP2 do you think they are getting?  I’ve heard very differently on what their plan is to spend.  One of the big four SS, a CF like Bellinger, and a mid rotation SP like Taillon and I actually have a really good source on this.

You need a foodie Twitter account. This is dead on. Nice source. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1