Winter Meetings Thread

Chicago White Sox

16 minutes ago, fathom said:

And Fegan just posted an article that says the Sox are basically at their budget now.  Super!

That’s the funniest thing I’ve heard in years. This organization is SUCH a joke.

If that proves to be true and doesn’t change we’re likely looking at the what… third straight year going into a season with at least two glaring positional holes and like the eight without a good outfield or some s%*#.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

If these jackasses are already tapped out after signing Mike freaking Clevinger I don’t know how they expect fans to ever take them seriously again.  This org doesn’t care about winning and we should stop giving them money.  f*** them. 

Yeah I’m about done. I tuned them out last year for a good chunk of the season, haven’t been more disinterested in baseball than I am right now. 

• Like 2

Imagine being an 87 years old owner of a professional baseball team and you’re cutting payroll in the middle of your competitive window after a 25% increase in attendance and receiving $30M in free cash from Disney.

I thought Jerry losing his wife would create a sense of urgency to win, but the dude simply doesn’t give a f***.  Breaking even every single year is far more important than winning a World Series.  The dude has officially proven that point.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Imagine being an 87 years old owner of a professional baseball team and you’re cutting payroll in the middle of your competitive window after a 25% increase in attendance and receiving $30M in free cash from Disney.

I thought Jerry losing his wife would create a sense of urgency to win, but the dude simply doesn’t give a f***.  Breaking even every single year is far more important than winning a World Series.  The dude has officially proven that point.

Well if you bought into the competitive window lasting 10 years then I suppose we are in the middle of it but it ended when JR hired TLR and not only did he manage poorly but him and the coaches were solely responsible for everything that went wrong.

But have no fear ,I have it from an inside source that Pedro Grifol is on a mission from God.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

15 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t what?  He’s ranked a 55 FV by Baseball America.

Can you add the link that shows that? Because it’s not on the baseball America page for the player, I just checked and at least for a nonsubscriber they don’t show those FV numbers there.

12 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

If these jackasses are already tapped out after signing Mike freaking Clevinger I don’t know how they expect fans to ever take them seriously again.  This org doesn’t care about winning and we should stop giving them money.  f*** them. 

Wow you don't say ? This is a major shocker to me. I never saw it coming !

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Well if you bought into the competitive window lasting 10 years then I suppose we are in the middle of it but it ended when JR hired TLR and not only did he manage poorly but him and the coaches were solely responsible for everything that went wrong.

But have no fear ,I have it from an inside source that Pedro Grifol is on a mission from God.

This is a five year window: 2020 to 2024 and we’re still in the middle of it.  And despite what you say, Grifol will be a godsend vs. Tony.  That being said, we still need to fill our holes and stop playing 1B/DH types in the OF.  That requires our cheap ass owner to spend some money or for Hahn to gut our farm.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This is a five year window: 2020 to 2024 and we’re still in the middle of it.  And despite what you say, Grifol will be a godsend vs. Tony.  That being said, we still need to fill our holes and stop playing 1B/DH types in the OF.  That requires our cheap ass owner to spend some money or for Hahn to gut our farm.

We don’t exactly have a farm to gut either.  Hahn will vulture from the 26 man roster and want a pat on the back for the creativity.  The window closed before it ever really opened because they half-assed finishing the rebuild by being cheap.  Enjoy that singular division title Rick, I hope it’s enough to hang your hat on in lieu of a parade. 

32 minutes ago, fathom said:

Funny thing is we’re all upset they don’t have the resources to make a big trade or sign someone significant, but there’s a very good chance we would absolutely hate the player/transaction by the ASB.

I'm not upset in the least. I've been advocating new blood all along. You know that tweet about Hahn getting input from other sources. He read my letter ;) . Of course Hahn's execution in trades just may do as you say.

7 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

We don’t exactly have a farm to gut either.  Hahn will vulture from the 26 man roster and want a pat on the back for the creativity.  The window closed before it ever really opened because they half-assed finishing the rebuild by being cheap.  Enjoy that singular division title Rick, I hope it’s enough to hang your hat on in lieu of a parade. 

Colson is a legit blue chip prospect and I’d argue that Ramos is a 50 FV / fringe top 100 prospect.  Moving those guys would destroy an already weak system, but are the only two other than than Colas who could headline anything of real value.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Nah it doesn't require either. Even you thought Pepiot and Outman could be done. That would give the Sox a real nice defensive OF if you just lose Hendriks and 1 prospect . That gives you an OF you can play every day and 2 LHH in the lineup for a long time.

I know you don't want Eloy, Sheets or Vaughn in the OF and neither do I. I'm painting a rosy picture but if you really thought they were going spend much more you need to get your head examined.

JR's got in your head too. Gave you someone so bad that people are talking about Grifol like he can resurrect 8 careers. Not going to happen.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

6 hours ago, fathom said:

And Fegan just posted an article that says the Sox are basically at their budget now.  Super!

Remember back a few years when the Sox had a bottom 5 payroll. Rick Hahn promised us over and over the money would be spent and they would bring in premium talent. That money never got spent. It's been sitting in jerry bank account accruing interest at a rapid pace.

Fast forward a handful of years. They peaked up to the 7th payroll, but doing so without ever signing premium talent. And now they are already pulling back. This is just ridiculous. Why can't Jerry do us a solid and just sell the damn team.

White Sox fans deserve better than this guy.

• Like 3

Just to stir the pot...I'd focus on Dodgers and package Liam w/Gio in exchange for Busch and Outman...2 MLB ready LH hitters at positions of need (2B and OF). Both low-cost and controllable for years to come (CaliSox has sold me on Outman). Ideally you hold onto Gio and hope for a bounce back but its a good bet neither he or Liam return after this year (if theu even break camp w/Sox) so lets fill some needs and shape the roster (and at same time lower payroll to maybe afford Q?)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Flash said:

Just to stir the pot...I'd focus on Dodgers and package Liam w/Gio in exchange for Busch and Outman...2 MLB ready LH hitters at positions of need (2B and OF). Both low-cost and controllable for years to come (CaliSox has sold me on Outman). Ideally you hold onto Gio and hope for a bounce back but its a good bet neither he or Liam return after this year (if theu even break camp w/Sox) so lets fill some needs and shape the roster (and at same time lower payroll to maybe afford Q?)

Liam is controlled thru 24. 

Some quick napkin math, but...

Since buying the Mets (2020), Cohen has added at least $866.65 million in guaranteed contracts to the team.

I'm sure the Rangers, Phillies, and Padres over the last few years are similar (they're all $500M+). So anyone that thinks big contracts are prohibitive is full of s%*#.

• Like 2