Winter Meetings Thread

Chicago White Sox

Can you imagine walking into the Winter meetings hotel and you see GMs from the top 10 markets in baseball dropping 30+ mil contracts left and right (holding huge brief cases full of cash)...and Hahn is sitting in the corner worried that his $15 dollar manhattan may not be an approved business expense...

• Haha 10

7 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Yea, he's wanted us to think he knows far more than he's demonstrated that he actually knew. Not sure why people pay attention to what he says.

Shane is a big fan that is closer to the action than us and probably does get a little side info that none of us would ever be privy to,  but that tweet is straight from a white sox fan not an insider.  I actually like him because of his personality but I can see why a lot of people are rubbed the wrong way in certain situations 

8 minutes ago, Baron said:

To be fair and I just read the article briefly but Fegan is just reiterating what Hahn said a month or two ago about the budget and doing some pretty basic math. 

There's nothing ground breaking in that article that hasn't been repeated here or said by Rick. 

I mean at the end of the day, I basically spent nothing on the Sox in the last two years compared to what I typically do.  I think it was one game each season, plus one playoff game.  Typically I am more in the half dozen range, mostly in premium seating. Last year I did try look into buying a suite for a game last year and couldn't get the sales staff to get back to me.  That money ended up basically being the down payment for a Disney Vacation Club mortgage.  Their loss.

At the end of the day, I am not buying anything for next season unless this team acts like I should spend money on them.  If not, there are tons of other premium events I can spend my money on.  And I will. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Baron said:

To be fair and I just read the article briefly but Fegan is just reiterating what Hahn said a month or two ago about the budget and doing some pretty basic math. 

There's nothing ground breaking in that article that hasn't been repeated here or said by Rick. 

True, but Hahn all but admitted the next transaction is a trade, which likely means they don’t have the money to find a lefty hitting outfielder.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

True, but Hahn all but admitted the next transaction is a trade, which likely means they don’t have the money to find a lefty hitting outfielder.

Is the $180 million mark Fegan mentioned the luxury tax payroll or the actual payroll? Cause our luxury tax payroll is estimated to be around $187 million already. But our actual payroll is $167 million. 

4 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Is the $180 million mark Fegan mentioned the luxury tax payroll or the actual payroll? Cause our luxury tax payroll is estimated to be around $187 million already. But our actual payroll is $167 million. 

And tax threshold is 233 mil for 2023. ABSOLUTELY NO reason to not be in the 215 range. 

Edited by EloyJenkins
  • Like 1

Either he is trying to get someone to drop their price and sign quickly or he is being straight. The fact that he would try to sell Gavin Sheets as an OF blows me away, and if it was meant to scare anyone into signing, how low level must he be if Gavin Sheets is being thrown out there to scare him?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Either he is trying to get someone to drop their price and sign quickly or he is being straight. The fact that he would try to sell Gavin Sheets as an OF blows me away, and if it was meant to scare anyone into signing, how low level must he be if Gavin Sheets is being thrown out there to scare him?

What was the Gavin Sheets quote?  Must have missed it.  

Rosenthal's latest. Says Timmy isn't on the table.

https://theathletic.com/3975468/2022/12/06/mlb-free-agency-rumors-murphy-rodon/

• The White Sox might be open to trading closer Liam Hendriks, but they are telling teams they will not move shortstop Tim Anderson, who is under club control for two more seasons.

Anderson, 29, is signed for $12.5 million in 2023, and the White Sox hold a $14 million club option on him for 2024. Their decision to hold Anderson reflects their short-term focus, even as they entertain the possibility of moving Hendriks. The White Sox’s willingness to listen on Hendriks is partly due to the strength of their bullpen, and partly because they lack the prospect depth to swing major trades.

Edited by DirtySox

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

Rosenthal's latest. Says Timmy isn't on the table.

https://theathletic.com/3975468/2022/12/06/mlb-free-agency-rumors-murphy-rodon/

lol called it @fathom

Two agents for other players suspect the Dodgers are in on shortstop Carlos Correa, presuming he would accept a monstrous AAV on a shorter term.