Winter Meetings Thread

Chicago White Sox

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

When Hahn brings up Swarzak and Holland as examples of after the meetings moves, that’s the kind of crap we are looking at. Swarzak wasn’t bad but was flipped for garbage. Holland was a waste of $6 million and released. So they are looking for bargains. Guys desperate for a job. Can’t wait to congratulate Rick at the parade.

Which is ok if their history validated this point but it is failing model.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't even know that I would deem it optimism at this stage.  I certainly don't expect us to hand our a contract bigger than Yaz.  I just don't think $180M is as hard of a limit as some do.  Even Jimmy was saying just a week ago he expected the Sox to surpass their 2022 payroll.  I get everyone is frustrated and the tenor of recent discussions from the FO aren't super encouraging, but I will at least let things play out before lighting my pitchfork.  I am certain the club we have now isn't what we'll have come April. 

I already took the tag off of mine so there's no going back to the store to return it!

• Haha 2
  • Hawk 1

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

When Hahn brings up Swarzak and Holland as examples of after the meetings moves, that’s the kind of crap we are looking at. Swarzak wasn’t bad but was flipped for garbage. Holland was a waste of $6 million and released. So they are looking for bargains. Guys desperate for a job. Can’t wait to congratulate Rick at the parade.

To be clear, that quote was from 2017. Not yesterday. 

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I don’t think anyone wanting to win wants the Sox to trade Hendriks. But if they need the money, that’s on JR. I will say for as great as Liam has been, if they never signed him and just had an average closer the last 2 seasons, there is no doubt in my mind they still win the division in 2021 and lose in the 1st round of the playoffs and miss the playoffs in 2022. So really his performance never got to the point where it really mattered, like a tight must win playoff game. I’m glad they signed him. I think he’s awesome in so many ways. 

I don’t want to trade him and was happy we got him for a variety of reasons. To fill holes I would love to package Sheets and Graveman as opposed to Hendriks, but it sounds like Hendriks is who teams want.

2 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Yea, he's wanted us to think he knows far more than he's demonstrated that he actually knew. Not sure why people pay attention to what he says.

I posted one tweet from him and was trying to demonstrate that he misunderstood that there is a need to trade if there is budget constraints as opposed to a want to trade.

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I've vacillated on moving Gio. Probably need to just trust he'll rebound in a contract year. A lot of players do.

We're already knee deep in guys who are always injured or having trouble with consistency so what's one more?

You can see how he and the rest of the underachievers do. Gio can be good but the team bad so then you can move him at the trade deadline. If both are good you play it out.

I will put a lil faith in our starting pitching and some better OF defense and team speed. That's what baseball is promoting with the new rules. Take advantage of it. If the Sox save some money put it towards the bullpen. I know right. But you can reinvest half of Hendricks salary on a couple BP guys or just one.

Tampa Bay contends a lot and they always are selling off pieces. It has to start somewhere. Just need to start piling up the pieces now and see if we can get some career health and career years from Eloy and Robert. Do you all realize how huge that would be and how exciting to see Eloy settle in at DH and Robert doing his thing in LF saving his legs just a bit to use them terrorizing pitchers on the bases ! Both of them destroying balls over the fences, showing Colas and Outman how it's done as they become the young left handed savages !

It would be a very exciting team born from the depths of our despair.

I’d love to see a resurgence amongst players that had a down year. I’d also love the Sox to do the bolded and re-allocate resources spent from a position of strength to areas of need. Something I tried to explain to Shane Riordan.

2 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Rosenthal's latest. Says Timmy isn't on the table.

https://theathletic.com/3975468/2022/12/06/mlb-free-agency-rumors-murphy-rodon/

So if Anderson is staying and Hendriks ends up staying, there may only be small acquisitions to fill out the roster. Let’s hope things change in a matter of a few weeks.

2 hours ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

The certain time of the month for a man? What’s that, the day you clean the bathroom?

Haha no, it’s when nice guys temporarily become jerks and when dbags turn up the volume on being jerks.

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Lol that is Billy Bob Thornton 🙂

Since I read the board on my phone, I thought your avatar looked like John Munch from Law and Order: SVU

Man, it is so frustrating to not even see any rumors involving the Sox.  I know there's plenty of time, but you'd think at the winter meetings there'd be some rumblings.  Either the Sox are in stealth mode, or they're not really doing anything.  I'm leaning toward the latter.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

Would the Sox get fair value for Cease if he was traded this off season?  What does that trade website say we could get for him, just out of curiosity 

According to the trade simulator, we can trade him to the Padres for:

Machado, Snell, Darvish, Musgrove, Hader and Campusano.  Instant WS contender. Do it. lol

• Love 1

9 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

Would the Sox get fair value for Cease if he was traded this off season?  What does that trade website say we could get for him, just out of curiosity 

Dylan Cease is the most valuable player on the White Sox according to that page. He is so valuable that it is difficult for most teams to afford him.

Here is an approved trade for the #8 and #26 prospects on the MLB.com rankings. 

Trade.jpg

38 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

Wait. Are you serious? You know there is no actual such thing, right?

Yeah…it’s more of a joke that was mentioned on morning talk shows like the Mix in Chicago. It was making fun of dbags and nice guys who lose their s%*# every once in a while. They called it a comma.