Jesse Rogers: Sox Sign Benintendi - 5yr / $75M

Chicago White Sox

Just now, TheTruth05 said:

the baseball signing equivalent to "Mid"

We haven't had a solid left handed hitter in the lineup since Adam Eaton the first time around (if you're not counting switch hitters). Yes, Benintendi's ceiling is fairly low. He's not exciting. But this lineup badly needed a stable and consistent left handed hitter and that is exactly what Benintendi is. 

The upside to him is that his offensive numbers were depressed by Kaufmann stadium. His wRC+ on the road these last 2 seasons were 123 and 131. His ISO on the road in 2021 was over .200. Move him to Guaranteed Rate for half the season and I wouldn't be surprised if he put up 25 homers next year. 

Did they overpay? Probably. Is Benintendi an impact player? No. But only Aaron Judge or one of the top SSs would have been if Yoan and Grandal don't bounce back. The team's potential is still gonna depend on at least one of those guys to not be a corpse next year at the plate.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

The guarantee isn’t fine though for a team that cries poor. You just gave the largest contract in team history to a guy who is meh. A deal like that on just about any other team who is willing to spend money would seem okay, I’m just skeptical because of who the owner is 

15 AAV is perfectly good for a 2.5 to 3 WAR player. 

Only thing is the 5th year...but honestly no one decent is gonna play here unless you put a cherry on top of the sundae.

FO did good here. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Only thing is the 5th year...but honestly no one decent is gonna play here unless you put a cherry on top of the sundae.

FO did good here. 

He's still somehow only 28 next year so really a 5th year shouldn't be a killer. A rare FA that could age quite well.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

FO did good here. 

Well summarized.  They did do good here.  

I would have bet everything on Gallo here.  Thank the Lord

3 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I get why people are upset that the Sox didn't go for upside, but I like the move. 

Very true.  I preferred the upside 1 year deals.

BUT

If you are bullish on our core you almost have to prefer Benintendi.  

So in the vacuum that we have a good season(s)... give me the higher floor and that is easily 10D.   It is the bad "fan" in me that worries about having to blow it up after this year.  I shouldn't give a damn about the payroll if they fail again in '23 and have to sell.  

1 minute ago, GREEDY said:

Very true.  I preferred the upside 1 year deals.

BUT

If you are bullish on our core you almost have to prefer Benintendi.  

So in the vacuum that we have a good season(s)... give me the higher floor and that is easily 10D.   It is the bad "fan" in me that worries about having to blow it up after this year.  I shouldn't give a damn about the payroll if they fail again in '23 and have to sell.  

Exactly, we are already counting on too many guys to bounce back. Get someone that seems more sure.

35 minutes ago, Pants Rowland said:

Classic underpromise, over deliver strategy. They'll come out with some comments saying despite prior announcements, they saw an opportunity to get better so they pushed the budget and hopefully the fans reward them via attendance. Blah blah blah.

I agree with you, but in reality, a blind man could have seen this opportunity.

• Thanks 1

Just now, fathom said:

I have yet to see fans of any other teams say this was a bad deal.  Not sure who Sox fans were expecting to be acquired this offseason.

Haniger got 3 and $44 million, but he's also 3 years older. I think Benintendi is also a much better fit for the team than Haniger. 

The deal is absolutely fair in this market and the 5 year commitment isn't that big of a deal for a guy that's only 28. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

If they were willing to trade for Kimbrel, I'm not sure what's stopping them from trading for Hendriks. 

Seems like the bigger question would be is there money left in the Rays budget after signing Eflin. I definitely think they'd be interested in Liam.

It's not not just Lowe, Isaac Parades, Jonathan Aranda (him especially), & Vidal Brujan would all make varying degrees of sense for the Sox and would be worth adding to the 2b mix.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I have yet to see fans of any other teams say this was a bad deal.  Not sure who Sox fans were expecting to be acquired this offseason.

$15m/ year for a guy who just hit 5 HR playing in part in the best park for lefties is a damn joke.

This team needs power not to be handing out 5 year deals for someone with less power than me, it's embarrassing 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • TLR 1

12 minutes ago, chw42 said:

We haven't had a solid left handed hitter in the lineup since Adam Eaton the first time around (if you're not counting switch hitters). Yes, Benintendi's ceiling is fairly low. He's not exciting. But this lineup badly needed a stable and consistent left handed hitter and that is exactly what Benintendi is. 

The upside to him is that his offensive numbers were depressed by Kaufmann stadium. His wRC+ on the road these last 2 seasons were 123 and 131. His ISO on the road in 2021 was over .200. Move him to Guaranteed Rate for half the season and I wouldn't be surprised if he put up 25 homers next year. 

Did they overpay? Probably. Is Benintendi an impact player? No. But only Aaron Judge or one of the top SSs would have been if Yoan and Grandal don't bounce back. The team's potential is still gonna depend on at least one of those guys to not be a corpse next year at the plate.

I trust Pedro isn't going to allow any of that corpse ball stuff to happen.

Just now, chw42 said:

Haniger got 3 and $44 million, but he's also 3 years older. I think Benintendi is also a much better fit for the team than Haniger. 

The deal is absolutely fair in this market and the 5 year commitment isn't that big of a deal for a guy that's only 28. 

The only thing he doesn’t provide the Sox needed was power, but I’m optimistic he can give them 15-20 homers.   I’m excited that this likely guarantees Eloy as DH.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Jesse Rogers: Sox Sign Benintendi - 5yr / $75M
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic