"Sell the Team...Jerry" Billboards...

Lip Man 1

35 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

I apologize if this has been discussed here before, but JR only owns a small percent of the team right but he is the puppermaster IE the controlling partner correct?

We don’t know his current stake, but he put down $1 million of the 20 needed to buy the club in 1981. So he owns “at least” 5 percent. 

his CONTRACT as chairman give him controlling power over the club. He answer to the board but has final say. 

1 hour ago, ewokpelts said:

We don’t know his current stake, but he put down $1 million of the 20 needed to buy the club in 1981. So he owns “at least” 5 percent. 

his CONTRACT as chairman give him controlling power over the club. He answer to the board but has final say. 

Investors are limited partners who do not vote on business at board meetings. Howard may be an exception I would think. 

20 hours ago, ewokpelts said:

The Florida suncoast dome was under construction.  

IIRC the dome was under construction, but the plan was to temporarily expand Al Lang Field in St Pete for one year or so until the dome was completed, so they wouldn't have a full lame duck season in Chicago.

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2023 at 1:42 PM, ewokpelts said:

Most or all of the investors are limited partners with no voting rights  Touche. 

I was fine with this idea when it first came up but it just seems...weirdly-timed now.  Kind of falls flat.  If these went up at the end of the 2022 season and stayed up over the offseason they would have captured a mood.  But with opening day around the corner I think most Sox fans are ready to focus on the new manager and hope the team does well, and this sort of seems to suck us back to a time we'd rather forget.  And they'll look pretty dumb if the Sox have a nice start to the season (I know, that wouldn't exonerate Jerry, but come on...nobody wants to b**** about the owner when the team is looking good.)

Edited by 35thstreetswarm
  • Like 1