Mike Clevinger under investigation for domestic violence

RibbieRubarb

11 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Why was my post citing the crime rates of Kansas City and St. Louis (#8 and #1 in the country, respectively) deleted?  That is not remotely political, it's a fact.

How is that related to Mike Clevinger spitting tobacco juice on an infant? 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

40 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

How is that related to Mike Clevinger spitting tobacco juice on an infant? 

How is the price of season ticket plans related to that topic?  The UK criminal legal system?  All topics explored in this thread.  In other words, it's not directly related -- but it was directly responsive to a post, and no less relevant than the hundreds of other responsive but not strictly-on-topic posts allowed to remain on the forum on a daily basis without being heavy-handedly deleted.

56 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Why was my post citing the crime rates of Kansas City and St. Louis (#8 and #1 in the country, respectively) deleted?  That is not remotely political, it's a fact.

I just lifted the whole discussion.

Just now, Quin said:

I just lifted the whole discussion.

OK, but the discussion was a factual comparison of murder rates as between Kansas City (higher) and Chicago (lower.)  It was not political.  In fact, I took pains *not* to veer into any political discussion about why one city gets more attention for its crime than the other.  These discussions go well over the political line with some frequency.  This one didn't even get within 100 yards. 

I only mention it because I think over-policing that line poses actual danger to the discussions around here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

OK, but the discussion was a factual comparison of murder rates as between Kansas City (higher) and Chicago (lower.)  It was not political.  In fact, I took pains *not* to veer into any political discussion about why one city gets more attention for its crime than the other.  These discussions go well over the political line with some frequency.  This one didn't even get within 100 yards. 

I only mention it because I think over-policing that line poses actual danger to the discussions around here.

That's a fair point. I restored the non-political parts of the convo.

But again, regrettably, if we keep this thread, let's talk about White Sox f*** Up #____

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Why was my post citing the murder rates of Kansas City and St. Louis (#8 and #1 in the country, respectively) deleted?  That is not remotely political, it's a fact.

Because as usual, one troll had to push the subject to one he knows isn't really germane and to innocent pretend to watch the chaos he causes (not you).

• Like 2

Back to Clevinger, I was watching Chicago Tonight last night on WTTW. One of the guests is an anchor on WGN. He echoed what has been said here, even going so far on public tv to call the White Sox too cheap to vet Clevinger properly. He acknowledged this particular accusation might not have been attainable, but as been mentioned here, there’s a lot more out there. Then even the host of the WTTW program wondered why the Sox were not cutting ties with this guy. I’m guessing for financial reasons. 

We are only a couple of weeks from spring training report day. This has been going on since the summer with MLB, so you figure they won’t have a final judgement by then. Does he show up, or do they put him on the administrative leave? 

I’m just going to assume Clevinger won’t be there on Feb 15, and he’ll never pitch for the Sox. That’s what I’m expecting. If it turns out the Sox lose money, then it’s just another thing on the list that makes this organization one of the worst in MLB…starts at the top. Now go sign Wacha. 

11 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Back to Clevinger, I was watching Chicago Tonight last night on WTTW. One of the guests is an anchor on WGN. He echoed what has been said here, even going so far on public tv to call the White Sox too cheap to vet Clevinger properly. He acknowledged this particular accusation might not have been attainable, but as been mentioned here, there’s a lot more out there. Then even the host of the WTTW program wondered why the Sox were not cutting ties with this guy. I’m guessing for financial reasons. 

We are only a couple of weeks from spring training report day. This has been going on since the summer with MLB, so you figure they won’t have a final judgement by then. Does he show up, or do they put him on the administrative leave? 

They did vet him. Ethan Katz wanted him. They knew that he was an asshole. The whole industry did. They didn’t know that he might’ve physically abused his kid or the mother of his child though reportedly. I trust that he wouldn’t have been signed if they knew about that allegation. They clearly didn’t care about the other stuff and honestly, when you have $8 million to spend on a starting pitcher because you also have other holes to fill without the ability to spend more money, these types of signings happen. 

4 minutes ago, flavum said:

I’m just going to assume Clevinger won’t be there on Feb 15, and he’ll never pitch for the Sox. That’s what I’m expecting. If it turns out the Sox lose money, then it’s just another thing on the list that makes this organization one of the worst in MLB…starts at the top. Now go sign Wacha. 

If he’s not suspended by the league by then, I’m not sure what happens as spring training opens 

• Like 1

I’ll be completely shocked if Clevinger ever pitches for the White Sox. The only question is whether or not the Sox get some sort of resolution that allows them to save the money they owe him relatively quickly (which seems unlikely), because that’s the only way they’re going to fill the hole in the rotation with anything other than a minor league signing. 

6 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

I’ll be completely shocked if Clevinger ever pitches for the White Sox. The only question is whether or not the Sox get some sort of resolution that allows them to save the money they owe him relatively quickly (which seems unlikely), because that’s the only way they’re going to fill the hole in the rotation with anything other than a minor league signing. 

What if spring training starts without any update from the league? I’m not sure they can keep him away from the team without the PA filing a grievance 

12 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

What if spring training starts without any update from the league? I’m not sure they can keep him away from the team without the PA filing a grievance 

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a way around at least putting him on paid admin leave. You could make an argument that his presence is bad for the other players.

But, what do I know?

2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

They did vet him. Ethan Katz wanted him. They knew that he was an asshole. The whole industry did. They didn’t know that he might’ve physically abused his kid or the mother of his child though reportedly. I trust that he wouldn’t have been signed if they knew about that allegation. They clearly didn’t care about the other stuff and honestly, when you have $8 million to spend on a starting pitcher because you also have other holes to fill without the ability to spend more money, these types of signings happen. 

I think they did know about it but thought it would be taken care of out of court all nice and quiet.  They didn't anticipate for the baby mama to put it on blast. I also don't think these types of signings happen.  

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a way around at least putting him on paid admin leave. You could make an argument that his presence is bad for the other players.

But, what do I know?

Paid administrative leave should be possible as long as there is an active investigation. I will be confused why if they don’t use that.

22 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

Whatever the dodgers did with Bauer is what I would expect

That was extended sequences of paid administrative leave. Eventually the arbitrator just said “ok don’t pay him for that time but it counts as his suspension so he’s free as soon as I cancel the rest”

5 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

But, what do I know?

Assuming the org cares about the optics and isn’t just going to hide behind league rules in hopes it all blows over while in AZ.  

4 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Assuming the org cares about the optics and isn’t just going to hide behind league rules in hopes it all blows over while in AZ.  

That's in the back of my mind, too, and that thought is what's keeping from making a strong statement about it. I can ABSOLUTELY see this clown show conclude that the "official league recommendation" of standing pat until it blows over is going to be fine for the general public.

• Like 1