2023 Spring Training Thread

ChiliIrishHammock24

On 3/14/2023 at 4:31 PM, Autumn Dreamin said:

Colas gets a nod from Baseball America as the #3 hottest prospect in ST this week (after Josh Jung and Casey Schmitt):

As of right now on some betting sites he's the eighth favorite for ROY. The top 2 are clear favorites but after that it's tightly bunched It will change based on injuries and performance.

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

As of right now on some betting sites he's the eighth favorite for ROY. The top 2 are clear favorites but after that it's tightly bunched It will change based on injuries and performance.

I threw some money on it at +4000. After seeing him more in ST, kinda wish I threw down a little more...

• Fire 1

34 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Brutal

I have a stupid question on something like this. Obviously we'll never know...but in something like this, did Diaz have a weak patellar tendon that was bound to go out at some point, or was this a total freak thing, his patellar would have held up this season no problem, this was just a freak thing? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Tony said:

I have a stupid question on something like this. Obviously we'll never know...but in something like this, did Diaz have a weak patellar tendon that was bound to go out at some point, or was this a total freak thing, his patellar would have held up this season no problem, this was just a freak thing? 

I tore both of mine about 6 years ago at the same time. Opinions varied, including among my surgeons, but usually it's thought that micro tears in the tendon from tendonitus are a contributing cause. I had "jumper's knee" in both my tendons for basically my entire life and I played three sports in HS, college in baseball and then an absolute shitload of tennis and basketball in my 20s before they ripped in my early 30s playing tennis coming to a jump stop at the net.

You put the wrong force on them and they will snap, especially if weakened. He has a long rehab ahead of him. I was lucky enough to get a great surgeon and I really took command of my own rehab but I had to give up basketball for life. Still play tennis pretty well.

The Yankee kid that made his debut tore his on the electrical box at the Cell. And there have been a couple full tears in the NFL as well. Guys have a really hard time coming back from it. It's worse than an ACL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

looked like he was working on keeping his weight back, but yea, not much bat speed.

Looked like soft toss so probably just working on going the other way without the need for getting the bat around so fast. I'm sure it s much quicker against the high speed machines. He did pretty good in the DSL last year but he was older than most of them.

4 minutes ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

Ooof. Hopefully nothing too serious.

Cancel Spring Training 🙂…don’t wish injuries on anyone and hopefully he is okay but if one team can overcome/absorb injuries it’s Steve Cohen and the Mets so I don’t feel too bad

Edited by Vote4Pedro

On 3/16/2023 at 1:46 PM, chitownsportsfan said:

I tore both of mine about 6 years ago at the same time. Opinions varied, including among my surgeons, but usually it's thought that micro tears in the tendon from tendonitus are a contributing cause. I had "jumper's knee" in both my tendons for basically my entire life and I played three sports in HS, college in baseball and then an absolute shitload of tennis and basketball in my 20s before they ripped in my early 30s playing tennis coming to a jump stop at the net.

You put the wrong force on them and they will snap, especially if weakened. He has a long rehab ahead of him. I was lucky enough to get a great surgeon and I really took command of my own rehab but I had to give up basketball for life. Still play tennis pretty well.

The Yankee kid that made his debut tore his on the electrical box at the Cell. And there have been a couple full tears in the NFL as well. Guys have a really hard time coming back from it. It's worse than an ACL.

Are you able to at least shoot around and just not play actual games?