2023 Spring Training Thread

ChiliIrishHammock24

On 3/6/2023 at 4:06 AM, Autumn Dreamin said:

Not sure if a separate thread for Sox in the WBC makes sense yet, so I'll stick this here for now:

His line through two exhibition games is 4-4 with two walks, a double, and that HR. Really think the WBC experience will be good for him.

A healthy & motivated Yoyo, would be a boon to this team.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fathom said:

I know the object of this article was to take the blame off of Tony, but hearing Lynn talk about his lack of energy last year was startling 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2023/03/07/white-sox-take-blame-put-awful-2022-season-behind-them/11417384002/

So Tony should have been relieved of his duties much sooner then he was and Anderson and Abreu proved to not be leaders in the clubhouse.  How does the organization let that play out until late in the season. 

Sounds like JR's hiring of Tony may actually have taken years off Tony's life. 

47 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

So Tony should have been relieved of his duties much sooner then he was and Anderson and Abreu proved to not be leaders in the clubhouse.  How does the organization let that play out until late in the season. 

Yeah, reading that article, it seems like the Sox did TLR a dis-service by not intervening and telling him he needed to step away and take care of himself.

10 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Yeah, reading that article, it seems like the Sox did TLR a dis-service by not intervening and telling him he needed to step away and take care of himself.

Lol at anyone that think JR would have allowed that.  It quite literally took a third party doctor intervening.  

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

I don’t know about that, it greatly reduced the available time he had to go drinking and driving over the summer 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fathom said:

I know the object of this article was to take the blame off of Tony, but hearing Lynn talk about his lack of energy last year was startling 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2023/03/07/white-sox-take-blame-put-awful-2022-season-behind-them/11417384002/

"It was clear to veterans like Lance Lynn, who played for La Russa in St. Louis, that La Russa was not himself most of the year. He had little energy. He needed daily naps. His voice was so soft that it was often hard to hear him. "

More evidence that he should have never come back.  And what an awful awful job he did.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Oscar Colas: f*** you, service time.

Glad someone brought up his service time. Can someone logically explain why he wasn't brought up last year? Seems pretty clear the plan was always to have him on the roster this year. Why in the world was he held back last year? Seemed even clear to the posters on this site let along people actually making those plans.

1 hour ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Glad someone brought up his service time. Can someone logically explain why he wasn't brought up last year? Seems pretty clear the plan was always to have him on the roster this year. Why in the world was he held back last year? Seemed even clear to the posters on this site let along people actually making those plans.

My conspiracy theory is that they were self-aware enough to not expose him to the toxicity that was occurring in Chicago. 

14 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Gut feeling they send him to Charlotte no matter what?

I think he breaks camp with the Sox. I don't really see the benefit of sending him back to Charlotte given the skill set he'd provide the Sox. I think the service time bit is overblown because I'm not sure they would/should care that much about "team control" in his age 30 or 31 season.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

I mean, he had yet to appear in AAA at the time they would have promoted him and it was his first minor league season. Plenty of reasons to not bring him to the big leagues. But I tend to agree - once they made that decision, it’s pretty dumb to put him on the OD roster in 23 from a roster management perspective. Looks like Oscar may not give them much of a choice tho if he keeps this up. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean, he had yet to appear in AAA at the time they would have promoted him and it was his first minor league season. Plenty of reasons to not bring him to the big leagues. But I tend to agree - once they made that decision, it’s pretty dumb to put him on the OD roster in 23 from a roster management perspective. Looks like Oscar may not give them much of a choice tho if he keeps this up. 

Was probably too late with all the injuries anyway but it also would have given them one less 40-man spot to work with all off-season. I also don't think they planned on him being the OD starting RF, even heading into Spring Training until he started and has kept hitting to this point.

Idk still feels like 50/50 one way or the other with the odds improving in his favor making the team OD each day.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

23 hours ago, fathom said:

It’s funny how the point was to take the blame off Tony, but it did the opposite.

How exactly does an ENTIRE TEAM collectively play with less effort, less focus and a shitty attitude?

If it’s just a few guys struggling like that, okay, that seems like it would be something more specific to those guys. But the whole team? Surely it’s just a coincidence!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

My guess is that the FO wasn't ready to pen him in as the '23 OD starter and wanted to see what was available on the FA market first. Perhaps another big-brain move thinking they'd get someone like Nimmo or Comforto on a bargain? Idk.

I'm not against waiting to see if they could get a FA RF, even if we knew the likelihood was low. We tried (maybe?), didn't work out, Colas starts '23 anyway. Same result, different route.

Imagine how ripshit people would've been if we telegraphed that we were punting on FAs when everyone knew how big of a hole we have in RF.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

think per the new CBA, the Guardians and Braves get extra first round picks because of Spencer Strider and Steven Kwan being on their OD rosters and finishing top three in ROY voting. The Mariners definitely do because of Julio Rodriguez winning it.

Maybe Colas doesn't come close, but playing a full season would let him rack up counting stats, which we all know voters love.