2023 Spring Training Thread

ChiliIrishHammock24

16 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

This is wrong.  Civil conspiracy is a claim available in civil cases in Illinois and just about every state, for example.  No crime needed.

“At its core, civil conspiracy is an agreement between two or more parties to commit an unlawful act. Therefore, there must be an unlawful act on which to base the civil conspiracy claim.”

4 hours ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

“At its core, civil conspiracy is an agreement between two or more parties to commit an unlawful act. Therefore, there must be an unlawful act on which to base the civil conspiracy claim.”

By highlighting that, are you trying to demonstrate that civil conspiracy necessitates a crime? 

• Thanks 1

Giolito vs the Cubs tomorrow. Clevinger vs SD on Saturday. Calendar is starting to form what we may see the first five games. Hopefully it will be a healthy Cease, Giolito, Clevinger, and maybe Kopech in Houston, and they hold Lynn back for the home opener. 

7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

What year would be the extra year ? 2029 when he's 30 ? Might help if they concentrated on winning now. People want to see him not Sheets, Reyes, Romy, Leury, Marisnick or Hamilton in the OF.

I am indifferent.  At most he would provide "1 win" during those 20 or so games... The extra year is always nice.  I usually heir on the side of gaining the year.

6 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I am indifferent.  At most he would provide "1 win" during those 20 or so games... The extra year is always nice.  I usually heir on the side of gaining the year.

Hmmm

After this:

I think we can all agree that our pitchers would like having someone that can genuinely play RF starting on Opening Day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I am not indifferent to putting the best team on the field. I'll wait to see how Colas does the rest of the spring , however, it sends the rest of the players the wrong message about a winning culture when you send the most qualified person down.

If Pedro is serious about building a winning culture then I would suspect that he would be adamant about keeping Colas as the opening day starter and the FO sending him down would be in direct opposition to that culture to him and the rest of the team. If Colas struggles then the opportunity to get the extra year can be gained during the season can it not ?

23 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

What year would be the extra year ? 2029 when he's 30 ? Might help if they concentrated on winning now. People want to see him not Sheets, Reyes, Romy, Leury, Marisnick or Hamilton in the OF.

Who cares what year it is.  162 games are better than 15-20 games every single time.  Years of control are extremely valuable, especially for a player that projects to be an above average regular.  Losing a year of control over Andrew Vaughn for what amounted to like 30 April PA is just pure stupidity.

The new CBA rules change the calculus a little bit.  But not enough for me.  I'd roll with Sheets/Eloy RF/DH for a month.  I won't be mad if Colas makes the roster or anything - they're clearly a better team with him - but there are clear and obvious reasons for the Sox to send him to AAA.  I always take the longer view on stuff like this, and its quite possible that Colas isn't a + value player right away anyway.  

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Who cares what year it is.  162 games is better than 15-20 games every single time.  Years of control are extremely valuable, especially for a player that projects to be an above average regular.  Losing a year of control over Andrew Vaughn for what amounted to like 30 April PA is just pure stupidty.

The new CBA rules change the caculus a little bit.  But not enough for me.  I'd roll with Sheets/Eloy RF/DH for a month.  I won't be made if Colas makes the roster or anything, but there are clear and obvious reasons for the Sox to send him to AAA. 

There are clear and obvious reasons not to send him down also. If you have ever criticized the FO about not caring about winning and players know that's how this team operates and you have a manager that is trying his best to change that mentality the FO needs to send a message about supporting the manager's way of doing things.

Also if you have ever criticized Eloy or Sheets defense in the OF and how Eloy increases his chance of injury every time he's out there  along with the FO not caring about winning it's about time those things change and a little support from the FO would go a long way.

This is not purely a business decision nor should it be. It would be a typical" the Sox are cheap and don't care about winning" move. Don't you think the fans are sick of that s%*# ?

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He posted a very laughable picture on his IG last month that looked photoshopped to all hell. I'm not sure if he's even with the Giants in spring training.

If some S.O.B. was gonna go up to Chicago to get hisself one of them Yerminator burger sammiches, would the S.O.B. be S.O.L.?

It would be swell if the sammich lived on kinda like the Baby Ruth candy bar.

• Haha 1

Just now, Tony said:

Just incredible content coming out of Arizona...😂

He is wiry, athletic and his swing is sweet.  He looked every bit of the part when I saw him take BP (stood out).  Obviously small sample size - but that swing was pretty. Of course I said the same thing the first time I saw Ryan Sweeney too haha.  

• Haha 3

57 minutes ago, Tony said:

Just incredible content coming out of Arizona...😂

We just need to take things one day at a time and keep an even keel. It's a marathon not a sprint. The content will come but we can't force it or overthink it. When you're forcing things you're tight, and when you're tight you're not gonna have fun and this game is all about having fun. It's a kid's game really.

23 hours ago, Sox72 said:

By highlighting that, are you trying to demonstrate that civil conspiracy necessitates a crime? 

Right—the highlighted language does not show that at all.  “Criminal” and “unlawful” are not synonymous terms.  Something can be “unlawful” and subject you to civil liability without being a crime.  That is the case in a civil conspiracy claim, and the reason such a claim is brought in a civil case rather than resolved through criminal prosecution.

Edited by 35thstreetswarm

For now Oscar is just looking to make contact but the real test will be in May after the pitchers build a book on him. Not many guys are content to work on contact but so far his approach seems to be working.