2023-24 NFL Season Thread

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I wonder if it comes down to how they viewed the free agent tackles. McGlinchey and Taylor are decent players, but they aren't elite. Edmunds is an elite linebacker, especially in coverage. Both of them got more money than Edmunds and there are still other options at tackle in FA and the draft. 

Unless they go after one in the draft, they’d have to pay a decent amount even for the next tier tackles.

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

There has to be a reason Poles/FO showed basically zero interest in pursing Roquan with a new deal...

Having their reasons doesn’t make it the right move. Just like they were reasons to trade for Claypool, signing Pringle, or drafting Velus Jones. I hope we could see those reasons translate into on field results soon, I’m not sold on the Poles/Eberflus combo yet, but time will tell here.

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

i am reading apoplectic bears fans I wish I could read something else.

I was hoping we'd get this guy in phase 2. Looks like anyone whose shown some pressure ability is gonna find a team.

He's going to get pretty big money - is my guess. I wonder if that means Bears are getting Jones?  I feel like they have one more big signing left in them and than they will be done.  

Just now, thxfrthmmrs said:

Having their reasons doesn’t make it the right move. Just like they were reasons to trade for Claypool, signing Pringle, or drafting Velus Jones. I hope we could see those reasons translate into on field results soon, I’m not sold on the Poles/Eberflus combo yet, but time will tell here.

All of this is correct. But like the Claypool, or even Velus move (which I will agree already seems like a bad one) I'm in no way ready to say not signing Roquan to a huge deal was the wrong move, or even that Claypool won't end up being a decent trade. Time will tell. And it's perfectly acceptable not to be sold on Pace/Eberflus, should anyone? There hasn't been a big enough sample size to tell. 

However, not every GM in his first year would have been comfortable completely ripping apart the roster, bottoming out and intentionally have a 3-13 record tied to his name in his first year. Not every GM would be comfortable trading away the 1st overall pick, hitching his wagon to a QB he didn't draft, and executing an offseason plan. I think the direction he is taking the Bears is a good one, at this point in time. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Curious to know where the Bears stand in cap space as of this point (ball park wise).  

I feel like we won't know this for sure until the league season officially starts and the contracts poor in.

43 minutes ago, Tony said:

All of this is correct. But like the Claypool, or even Velus move (which I will agree already seems like a bad one) I'm in no way ready to say not signing Roquan to a huge deal was the wrong move, or even that Claypool won't end up being a decent trade. Time will tell. And it's perfectly acceptable not to be sold on Pace/Eberflus, should anyone? There hasn't been a big enough sample size to tell. 

However, not every GM in his first year would have been comfortable completely ripping apart the roster, bottoming out and intentionally have a 3-13 record tied to his name in his first year. Not every GM would be comfortable trading away the 1st overall pick, hitching his wagon to a QB he didn't draft, and executing an offseason plan. I think the direction he is taking the Bears is a good one, at this point in time. 

If having Roquan led to just one more win then trading him away was one of the best moves in team history.

3 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

I don’t believe this yet, nobody else is reporting it yet. It does seem like more specifics need to be worked out.

4 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

The 49ers radio guy was on the score last week and completely scared me off McGlinchey lol

Same here.

3 hours ago, scs787 said:

Taylor gone now too. Gotta grab McGary IMO.

Though you can probably find a RT in the 2nd round. 

That is assuming they don’t get Calijah Kancey instead and a tackle in the first round.

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

Go get Brown and than add a 3T.  

Do they still have the cap space to go get Brown and fill out the roster? 

6 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I don’t believe this yet, nobody else is reporting it yet. It does seem like more specifics need to be worked out.

Same here.

That is assuming they don’t get Calijah Kancey instead and a tackle in the first round.

Assuming Brown gets $25 million a year, they should still have around $5 million left in space. They can also cut Whitehair's $14 million cap hit too, but that might be after the draft in June. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Beast said:

Same here.

Kancey is absolutely going in the 1st round. Maybe even 9th to the Bears. 

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

Assuming Brown gets $25 million a year, they should still have around $5 million left in space. They can also cut Whitehair's $14 million cap hit too, but that might be after the draft in June. 

According to overthecap they're at $53m before whatever Nate Davis is getting. 

I'm kinda hoping we see a Whitehair/Patrick/Rookie OC competition.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scs787 said:

Dalvin Tomlinson makes a lot of sense. I like him more as the nose tackle, but absolutely call be the 3T. I'd sign him and still look at a 3T in the draft. 

He played 3 tech in Minnesota didn't he? He's really a NT, but his ability to run stuff plays at the 3 too. 

Bears discourse turns out is exhausting. 

This is not my dream free agency, largely due to dline. But you walk back and really who I wanted was Payne. And Hargrave would have been excellent, but hard not to notice he may have chosen a perennial nfc top seed.

The right tackle stuff is hard. The reality is I want an upgrade, but all of us admitted none of these dudes were really that exciting. And that’s a difficult choice knowing you could get a cheaper, possibly better player in draft (I still think brown is the guy worth going after, and if you get him to be a RT that’s a home run).

With the linebackers you at least understand what they are doing. Unlike with maybe the 3Ts and RTs, these guys likely graded as long term starters. They now have 2 good levels in S and LB (hopefully).

But yeah unfortunately it’s facing up to fact that going from worst to first is hard, especially for bears who weren’t collecting 1st round talent via the draft for a few years prior.

Need a great, great draft. 

11 minutes ago, scs787 said:

2 guys on the trade market that intrigue me. Laremy Tunsil and Austin Eckler. 

Tunsil might be too rich for my blood, but I would really love a guy like Eckler given his recieving prowess. 

So my assumption for Tunsil was KC may have been floating their first (as they did for Orlando Brown way back when). Similar in some ways, but Brown was coming on a 3rd rounder contract whereas Tunsil is on a full deal and looking to become highest paid LT.

But their pick this year is around 600 points on the JJ chart. Bears could offer the baltimore 2nd rounder this year and 2nd rounder next year and that's around 640 points of value. 

I would do that, but can't say I'd do any more since he will be a huge cost.