2023-24 NFL Season Thread

10 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I may eat my shorts - but their ownership is a laughing stock of laughing stocks. Makes McCaskey look like Kraft family. I really don’t see him working with that ownership group. They meddle and are cheap asses. 

Plus you're always going to be the second team in that city...but maybe Harbaugh's ego revels in the challenge of attempting to unseat the Rams.

Surely his brother has the perfect opportunity picked out already from all of his sources and connections around the sport.

7 minutes ago, Tony said:

Might be a total disaster, but the Bears could be the most watched/interesting team in the league next year with Harbaugh/Williams. And if the Bears want to do it, they can..will only cost money. 

Hell yeah. I also wonder how long until Bears call Roman. If they are going to stick with Flus and Fields, I would think Roman would be on the short list given the track record he had with Kap and Lamar. I know Baltimore is even better this year without him but Roman would probably be my top pick if you were sticking with Justin. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tony said:

Might be a total disaster, but the Bears could be the most watched/interesting team in the league next year with Harbaugh/Williams. And if the Bears want to do it, they can..will only cost money. 

Unfortunately Chicago sports are all owned by a bunch of losers who are content with the status quo except when it involves partnering up with their 80 year old drinking buddies

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Unfortunately Chicago sports are all owned by a bunch of losers who are content with the status quo except when it involves partnering up with their 80 year old drinking buddies

Correct 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Williams coming off LAST season might have attracted those offers, but some of his warts/concerns/issues have now been exposed.

That said, the Riley brand is still healthy with Baker Mayfield returning to viability and Murray showing his flashes at the end of the season.  Hurts is another issue with the collapse across the board of Philly.

It's just that Caleb Williams was head and shoulders #1 coming out of high school and now Maye and Daniels have almost caught up with him on draft boards. 

Zero discussion who would have been #1 in 2023...well, maybe the biggest concern was how Utah was able to contain him (relatively speaking) twice last year with inferior talent.  Part of that was obviously on the atrocious USC defense, as well.

This idea of Caleb Williams’ decline is a myth.  USC lost games because their defense was atrocious and even Williams couldn’t keep scoring 45+ points every game.  I wouldn’t say that their defense was only a part of it, it was the main reason.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Fans of 80% of all sports teams think this about their owners. Just read the lovely discussion with the Baltimore wackos. 

25 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Fans of 80% of all sports teams think this about their owners. Just read the lovely discussion with the Baltimore wackos. 

Jerry Reinsdorf, the McCaskeys, and Bill Wirtz were the owners of 80% of the teams in Chicago at one point. You could make a very good argument that any one of them would be on the Mount Rushmore of terrible owners in professional sports history. Then you can throw in past owners like Charles Comiskey. Don’t pretend Chicago fans don’t have it bad.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

Jerry Reinsdorf, the McCaskeys, and Bill Wirtz were the owners of 80% of the teams in Chicago at one point. You could make a very good argument that any one of them would be on the Mount Rushmore of terrible owners in professional sports history. Then you can throw in past owners like Charles Comiskey. Don’t pretend Chicago fans don’t have it bad.

Agreed.  We definitely have it the worst because the same awful owner owns two of our beloved teams and seemingly doesn’t care how long he runs them into the ground, as long as they produce a profit.

10 hours ago, Tony said:

Two separate issues, but I don’t believe that tweet for a second. Anyone with working eyes can tell you Love had much more of a pocket snd time than Fields yesterday. 

Isn’t one of Williams’ biggest critiques that he also takes too many sacks? Fields 2.0?

3 hours ago, ptatc said:

80% of franchises couldn’t get Jim Harbaugh…we could though and just for money that we have readily available.  We just don’t care that much about winning.  Same applies to the Bulls who wouldn’t go into the luxury tax despite raking in an insane same amount of money.  The Reinsdorf lack any form of killer instinct that owners of other large market / premier franchises possess.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

80% of franchises couldn’t get Jim Harbaugh…we could though and just for money that we have readily available.  We just don’t care that much about winning.  Same applies to the Bulls who wouldn’t go into the luxury tax despite raking in an insane same amount of money.  The Reinsdorf lack any form of killer instinct that owners of other large market / premier franchises possess.

I don't think this one is about money. He is going to want GM control and I don't think Poles will give it up. 

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I don't think this one is about money. He is going to want GM control and I don't think Poles will give it up. 

Which is why Kevin Warren is in the building 

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

Which is why Kevin Warren is in the building 

I don't think Warren would change the power structure for Harbaugh either. He had to deal with him as head of the Big 10.

Who would want a proven winner like Harbaugh?  And god forbid a guy with his proven track record would actually run the show for the Bears!  We all know the McCaskey’s and everyone they have hired over the years have done such an excellent job, so why cede any power to someone that may actually make the right moves?

To quote Forrest Gump, “stupid is as stupid does.”

• Like 1

While the white sox can no longer hurt me, I am deluding myself into thinking our new front office is exploring bringing in Harbaugh. Super embarrassing for me when they bring in Frank Reich as OC.

I do still really like McCarthy but he's such a wild card. I do wonder though with the "anticipation" throws, I still kinda think he is asked to still make a predetermined throw and he has a lot of tutelage on making that throw and it's less of a "feel" thing.

But he's so interesting as a prospect. I mostly think that development for QBs is extremely overrated as a way to deal with the uncertainty of life, but for him, his age/pass attempts I think do need to be calibrated first.

Penix meanwhile, I still like, but boy did you see every criticism Caulfield posted. I kinda never understood the arm strength thing with him, but you definitely could see the "only has one type of throw, the lazer" and could not change to loft or get throws over LBs that were sticking underneath. He does seem incredibly smart and undeterred though.

Wish Jayden Daniels could have had a defense this year. People would have been amazed by how he could shred even the best defenses. Some some laughable takes on how they should have waited to give out heisman until after playoffs, as if Penix was close to what Daniels accomplished.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

While the white sox can no longer hurt me, I am deluding myself into thinking our new front office is exploring bringing in Harbaugh. Super embarrassing for me when they bring in Frank Reich as OC.

I do still really like McCarthy but he's such a wild card. I do wonder though with the "anticipation" throws, I still kinda think he is asked to still make a predetermined throw and he has a lot of tutelage on making that throw and it's less of a "feel" thing.

But he's so interesting as a prospect. I mostly think that development for QBs is extremely overrated as a way to deal with the uncertainty of life, but for him, his age/pass attempts I think do need to be calibrated first.

I'm sure they explored it. I just don't think that with the positive way the organization is heading they will change the entire organizational structure for him. 

So far Poles looks like he is doing pretty well so why change everything again. 

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

I'm sure they explored it. I just don't think that with the positive way the organization is heading they will change the entire organizational structure for him. 

Because the bears should aspire to be great, and not merely good enough

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Because the bears should aspire to be great, and not merely good enough

And restarting the whole organization again with Harbaugh in charge of everything is going make them great? 

I know I'm in the minority but I think it's the players that make teams win or lose. Coaches can get more out of players but it's ultimately on the players. 

I'm not a fan of singular people having control. 

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

And restarting the whole organization again with Harbaugh in charge of everything is going make them great? 

I know I'm in the minority but I think it's the players that make teams win or lose. Coaches can get more out of players but it's ultimately on the players. 

I'm not a fan of singular people having control. 

Flus had not only on the field strategy gaffes over two seasons but his two personnel “things” this year should have gotten him fired.   People want to be like “but wait look how great the defense did when he took over” but you know what?  We KNEW he was a good DC, and we didn’t know if he was a good HC.  That isn’t a feather in his cap for me, that’s scrambling to save face.

i get it, you are old school in this town and you have seen how the sausage is made closer than I have.  But I don’t think anything this guy has done up til now has shown me that he has what it takes to be a good head coach in this town, totally the opposite in fact 

8 minutes ago, ptatc said:

While I cannot rule out he'll want full control, that perception has clearly prevented him from a job prior. He has hired an agent, which he did not do prior either. If he gets the full gig, I'll say it wasn't the time. But Poles is coming from a place that he could point to for why not to take up that control: Reid gave up that control and found great success with the personnel men that Poles came from.

But you can't blame Harbaugh after getting run around like he did prior. I think if anything some silly structure like GB put in place where both Poles and Harbaugh report directly to Warren could happen.

Just now, Kyyle23 said:

Flus had not only on the field strategy gaffes over two seasons but his two personnel “things” this year should have gotten him fired.   People want to be like “but wait look how great the defense did when he took over” but you know what?  We KNEW he was a good DC, and we didn’t know if he was a good HC.  That isn’t a feather in his cap for me, that’s scrambling to save face.

i get it, you are old school in this town and you have seen how the sausage is made closer than I have.  But I don’t think anything this guy has done up til now has shown me that he has what it takes to be a good head coach in this town, totally the opposite in fact 

I don't take that DC stuff for granted, but more important to me is he has shown an ability do develop players. Chris Morgan has done a good job with Jenkins/Wright/Jones. There is just a lack of overall talent on that line. The DBs were great.

The WR...well that's where I'd get rid of Getsy/Tolbert and get a better set of coaches there, including for passing coordinator.