2023-24 NFL Season Thread

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Each QB sat for years to learn the position. Maybe that's the common link. 

At some point, we have to acknowledge it’s not just a fluke to hit with three straight QBs. What do they see that no one else does…..every single time? It’s more than sitting and learning the position. 

7 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Youngest team in football and all of that draft capital.

Poles has to hit right with every draft selection, every roster move; everything. Or else we’re looking at another lost decade with maybe a playoff birth or two sprinkled in

3 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

At some point, we have to acknowledge it’s not just a fluke to hit with three straight QBs. What do they see that no one else does…..every single time? It’s more than sitting and learning the position. 

I agree. Maybe it's the learning  process of sitting and watching. 

4 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Poles has to hit right with every draft selection, every roster move; everything. Or else we’re looking at another lost decade with maybe a playoff birth or two sprinkled in

The Bears have more draft capital, and are the 3rd youngest team in football. Put Mercedes Lewis back in GB and they are probably the youngest.

Sigh. SIGGGH.

If you have receipts for me, obviously I was not the most anti-eberflus. I said I wanted the names. Well the names are in and they are good man. They are good. They aren't even the "I love Ben Johnson" type thing, the experienced head coaches are GREAT. 

If this was howie roseman, you'd say "hey, he gets it". Zero chance they are correct, because if they were, they wouldn't have been hired by George McCaskey.

That said...no to frank reich. No to thomas brown. 

Yes to Kliff Klingsbury (would be insane though, no chance. Unless he hates having to deal with recruiting under transfer portal)
Yes to Zac Robinson (but why would he?)
Yes to Ken Dorsey (maybe, but he seems like a jerk)
Yes to Klint Kubiak

Okay with
Greg Olson (former Raiders OC and replaced Dave Canales and currently Seahawks QB coach) (Not the TE)
Darrell Bevell - still has a good reputation, but, quite frankly his last two stops were atrocious. I mean the guy was in charge of Lawrences rookie year. But he's just had 2 years under Mike McDaniel.

Intrigued by
Tavita Pritchard - Bienemy's QB coach, former stanford OC

Down on 
Pep Hamilton

I left of Bienemy...because I just find it so improbable. But great if it happens?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

The Bears have more draft capital, and are the 3rd youngest team in football. Put Mercedes Lewis back in GB and they are probably the youngest.

Bears have a lot more “quality” with their 2024 picks, meaning they’re higher but the Packers are expected to have 14 draft picks after they receive comp picks for Lazard, Reed, and Lowry. They are currently starting 6 guys from the 2023 draft and a few others are getting serious reps. I’m guessing most of their oldest veterans are all gone after this season - Bahktiari, Owens, Dillon, Campbell, Savage. Maybe they keep Aaron Jones (they’ll draft at least one RB in 2024, probably even 2 or 3 with all the picks they have). There’s a very good chance the Packers get even YOUNGER and cheaper next season…

10 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

That's not going to happen. No one hits on everything 100%.

23 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

So we're looking at another lost decade. Great. 

Why do we even follow the Bears, Bulls and Sox at this point? Nothing they have done has proven that they have any idea what they're doing. 🤷‍♀️

What sucks the most is like...yeah actually us getting a ton of draft capital is new. With the exception of the 2002 trade back, which...was wasted on a bad draft class, the reaches we've made for QBs in 97, 2009, 2017 and 2021 along with the Mack trade have had us really on the edge for talent with the exception of some incredible Angelo drafts in early 2000s.

This really was different. But they could have really stepped on the gas and instead you have these people looking us in the eye and saying that this will work behind this coach who clearly dresses pretty nicely but is not schematically impressive, or young, or good at bringing in staff.

That may be where the Front Office has to put their thumb on the scale. THEY need to go get the OC, pay them like an HC.

52 minutes ago, Tony said:

I have a much bigger problem at this point with them keeping Fields than I do Flus. 

If they hire Reich, I think that is a pretty respectable OC hire.  I tend to agree with you - I would rather make sure we move on from QB than HC if we could only pick one.  But if the Bears plan was really continuing continuity and build up more and more assets, I suppose they could hire a Greg Roman, trade down for a haul, draft more linemen and wideouts, and design an offense to suit Fields.  

If it doesn't work - you have a future 1st or two and an even better team when you look to upgrade QB a year from now (albeit you have no idea what the draft class looks like and highly unlikely you have the #1 pick). 

37 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

I do tend to think sitting and learning play(s) a part.  Also, who you are sitting and learning with is a factor.  Watching and learning from a 15 year veteran who is a multiple time MVP winner/all pro is quite different than sitting and learning from a Mike Glennon.  The reality is Andy Dalton was not a bad sign for a sit and learn from guy - but he got hurt (or something like that which pushed Fields into the spotlight too soon). 

I do truly believe hindsight 20/20, Nagy was right about 1 thing, Fields wasn't ready and he should have sat a lot longer.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

I disagree with this.  He has positioned this team with draft capital, cap space, and ascending young DB's and what looks like a really good RT in Wright.  So he's made some really good moves over the past 12 months - how he goes forward is important, he can have some misses, all GM's do, but he'll have to have some big hits too.  

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

I do tend to think sitting and learning play(s) a part.  Also, who you are sitting and learning with is a factor.  Watching and learning from a 15 year veteran who is a multiple time MVP winner/all pro is quite different than sitting and learning from a Mike Glennon.  The reality is Andy Dalton was not a bad sign for a sit and learn from guy - but he got hurt (or something like that which pushed Fields into the spotlight too soon). 

I do truly believe hindsight 20/20, Nagy was right about 1 thing, Fields wasn't ready and he should have sat a lot longer.  

Dalton getting hurt so early certainly didn't help. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, bmags said:

Sigh. SIGGGH.

If you have receipts for me, obviously I was not the most anti-eberflus. I said I wanted the names. Well the names are in and they are good man. They are good. They aren't even the "I love Ben Johnson" type thing, the experienced head coaches are GREAT. 

If this was howie roseman, you'd say "hey, he gets it". Zero chance they are correct, because if they were, they wouldn't have been hired by George McCaskey.

Yes to Kliff Klingsbury (would be insane though, no chance. Unless he hates having to deal with recruiting under transfer portal)
Yes to Klint Kubiak

Okay with
Greg Olson (former Raiders OC and replaced Dave Canales and currently Seahawks QB coach) (Not the TE)
Darrell Bevell - still has a good reputation, but, quite frankly his last two stops were atrocious. I mean the guy was in charge of Lawrences rookie year. But he's just had 2 years under Mike McDaniel.

Intrigued by

Down on 
Pep Hamilton

I left of Bienemy...because I just find it so improbable. But great if it happens?

I could be wrong - but I think Klingsbury is awful, so he is the worse on that entire list.  

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

I could be wrong - but I think Klingsbury is awful, so he is the worse on that entire list.  

Kingsbury's tenure in AZ might not have been good, but he's someone that Williams is close with and has worked with. If you're going to take a QB at #1, you want to make sure he's comfortable and that the offense is tailored to him to ease his transition to the NFL. 

Not like what happened with Nagy and Fields. 

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

What sucks the most is like...yeah actually us getting a ton of draft capital is new. With the exception of the 2002 trade back, which...was wasted on a bad draft class, the reaches we've made for QBs in 97, 2009, 2017 and 2021 along with the Mack trade have had us really on the edge for talent with the exception of some incredible Angelo drafts in early 2000s.

This really was different. But they could have really stepped on the gas and instead you have these people looking us in the eye and saying that this will work behind this coach who clearly dresses pretty nicely but is not schematically impressive, or young, or good at bringing in staff.

That may be where the Front Office has to put their thumb on the scale. THEY need to go get the OC, pay them like an HC.

The one thing I will say is - a number of young players developed under Flus on the defense. That is worth something.  I'm not saying it overcomes all the other things you say, but it is worth something.  And it is pretty clear his defensive players respect him, they may not always agree with all his calls, but they respect him.  Offensive side - even there there seems to be some solid respect for the guy.  

I still go back to - the glass is half full - because trading out and sticking with Fields isn't a disaster and hitting reset, even if it is with Flus, a #1 pick, and a new OC, is also not a disaster given the draft capital the team has and the nucleus it has started to build.  I think either scenario - unless you draft an absolute massive bust at QB (say a Tim Couch / Jamarcus Russel) - continues to have the Bears trending up (as long as you draft half decent - and there is nothing in the past 2 years from Poles draft that tells me he can't draft well).  

36 minutes ago, bmags said:

Sigh. SIGGGH.

Yes to Klint Kubiak

Okay with

Intrigued by

Down on 
Pep Hamilton

Thanks for your thoughts. What if Eric Bienemy was a possibility? What about Greg Roman? Where would you put them?

All Bears fans should remember this moment.  If Poles’ entire rebuild fails as miserably as the White Sox did, this will likely be the day that started the downfall.

Poles retaining Eberflus could be similar to Jerry hiring TLR, right when both teams were on the cusp of being good.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

3 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

What kind of OC worth a damn is going to sign on with a lame duck coach that has only one more season to prove himself?  They would have to clean house if Eberflus fails again next year.

Since they are keeping Eberflus the discussion with the OC would need to include a discussion of the bears commitment to him. 

Just now, ptatc said:

Since they are keeping Eberflus the discussion with the OC would need to include a discussion of the bears commitment to him. 

Ultimately I think that is more important if you are drafting a QB. If you stick with Fields than I am less concerned with whether the Bears are committed to Flus for another year or 3 years (although I get the point that it could impact your OC - but I think you can get Roman even with that lack of committment). 

4 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Agreed, not a fan of his offense. 

Still like Reich and the fact that they have worked together successfully in the past. 

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

Ultimately I think that is more important if you are drafting a QB. If you stick with Fields than I am less concerned with whether the Bears are committed to Flus for another year or 3 years (although I get the point that it could impact your OC - but I think you can get Roman even with that lack of committment). 

Agreed.