2023-24 NFL Season Thread

12 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I wonder where Vrabel ends up now.  Would be cool if the Bears brought him in as DC although I doubt Flus would want that situation breathing down his neck 

He should go to Chargers.  I am a huge Vrabel fan - but I wouldn't recommend him as our DC given the exact reason you mentioned. I don't think it sets anyone up for success.  Ron Rivera is same boat for me. Flus is the HC and Defensive guy - he does need to bring in someone who can help him though. 

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

I wonder where Vrabel ends up now.  Would be cool if the Bears brought him in as DC although I doubt Flus would want that situation breathing down his neck 

It's weird. Seems like Belicheck to ATL was overspun, but with Ben Johnson likely to WASH, it's looking like he may not have a job next year. That's crazy to me. If I'm john schneider picking between Dan Quinn and Vrabel I can't believe not going with Vrabel esp if he can bring along Arthur Smith.

Welp - this is the mock draft of all mock drafts. 

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/mock-draft-fields-headed-patriots-162604963.html

Caleb at 1

MHJ at 3 (Bears trade up with New England giving up #9, Fields and 2025 6th rounder; Bears get back #3 pick, 4th rounder, and 2025 3rd and 5th rounder)

Note: This would be a coup de coup.  I don't believe for one second what the author proposes is realistic, but boy would I be happy.  I presume only way this type of haul happens is if there is at least a mid to late 1st round grade applied to Fields.  

33 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Caleb at 1

MHJ at 3 (Bears trade up with New England giving up #9, Fields and 2025 6th rounder; Bears get back #3 pick, 4th rounder, and 2025 3rd and 5th rounder)

Note: This would be a coup de coup.  I don't believe for one second what the author proposes is realistic, but boy would I be happy.  I presume only way this type of haul happens is if there is at least a mid to late 1st round grade applied to Fields.  

Yeah, that way too good to be true. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Yeah, that way too good to be true. 

In this scenario, Williams + MHJ flounder while Fields + Nabers dominate for a resurgent Patriots team. Soldier Field breaks off the mainland and sinks into Lake Michigan.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Caleb at 1

I'm not gonna lie - my personal thoughts. If you could tell me that Nabers was available at 9 and Fields would have that much value, I'd rather stayput at 9 and collect the premium.

This is implying that Fields is worth uh...jeeze a lot. The diff between 9 and 3 is roughly the 20th overall pick. That's where PIT is. Then add in another 86 points for the fourth, another 75 for the future 3rd and 15 for the future fifth.

So yeah that's valuing fields at around a mid-round 1st. 

47 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Caleb at 1

This is laughably bad.

Last year, the Bears traded the #1 pick for the #9 overall pick, the #61 overall pick, a 2024 1st round pick, a 2025 2nd round pick, and a pretty good WR.

This article thinks the Patriots would trade the #3 overall pick for the #9 overall pick, Justin Fields, and a 2025 6th round pick.

If Justin Fields was worth the equivalent of a 1st round pick, 2 seconds, and an established good player at a skill position the Bears wouldn't be trading him because they would already have their QB.

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

Caleb at 1

Hah, I read this and immediately knew the author had to be a Bears fan.  Glynn Morgan works for NBC Sports Chicago.  Guy is trying to play Madden in franchise mode to make the Bears a super power.  He must be overriding every trade to force the Patriots to accept.

However, if there was a way to make this trade work out by giving up more or getting back less in the way of picks, as long as the basis of the deal is the Bears getting MHJ with the #3 pick and the Patriots getting Fields and the #9 pick, I would be all over it.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

Let's drop the homerism out of it and think about the idea.

The Bears trade #9, #75, Fields, and a 2025 2nd for MHJ. This is probably under-valuing Fields and the future pick, or you're saying that MHJ has a huge value. Also I gave up a 2nd rounder because it's Poles just gives up 2nd rounders, a third makes it a little less biased but it's gotta be a 2nd.

Would y'all do that?

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The Bears trade #9, #75, Fields, and a 2025 2nd for MHJ. This is probably under-valuing Fields and the future pick, or you're saying that MHJ has a huge value. Also I gave up a 2nd rounder because it's Poles just gives up 2nd rounders, a third makes it a little less biased but it's gotta be a 2nd.

Would y'all do that?

I would do it in a heartbeat. To keep the number 1 and get MHJ would be a phenomenonal draft regardless of what else happens. 

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

I would do it in a heartbeat. To keep the number 1 and get MHJ would be a phenomenonal draft regardless of what else happens. 

That's what I was thinking too, the Bears would be giving up a lot in depth, but if the Pats were up for doing this, they get a QB candidate and some extra picks at the same time. I kinda feel like Belichick would do that deal since it is stockpiling extra picks, no idea if his replacements will. Make it a fair deal on paper and it kinda makes sense for both teams, if the Pats were willing.

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Hah, I read this and immediately knew the author had to be a Bears fan.  Glynn Morgan works for NBC Sports Chicago.  Guy is trying to play Madden in franchise mode to make the Bears a super power.  He must be overriding every trade to force the Patriots to accept.

However, if there was a way to make this trade work out by giving up more or getting back less in the way of picks, as long as the basis of the deal is the Bears getting MHJ with the #3 pick and the Patriots getting Fields and the #9 pick, I would be all over it.

Yeah - forget all the other picks - if you could move #9 and Fields for #3 - run to the bank and be happy.  

20 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Would y'all do that?

I hate trading up in general - but in this scenario, I think I would.  Just because I think MHJ and Caleb paired together is just so worth it.  I really hate giving up #75 (just because they got to get a center).  I can kind of justify the future 2nd cause they have the Panthers and there own.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Would y'all do that?

I’m not sure it would cost quite that much but I would still consider it.  You have a shot at a potential Hall of Fame QB/WR duo like Manning and Harrison for 10+ years if both CW and MHJ pan out?  I’d say go for it.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

6 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I’m not sure it would cost quite that much but I would still consider it.  You have a shot at a potential Hall of Fame QB/WR duo like Manning and Harrison for 10+ years if both CW and MHJ pan out?  I’d say go for it.

There’s a decent chance the Patriots say no to that - remember last year it cost the Texans two firsts to move up from 11 (I think) to 3. But it is an interesting concept if written as a fair-ish deal.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

There’s a decent chance the Patriots say no to that - remember last year it cost the Texans two firsts to move up from 11 (I think) to 3. But it is an interesting concept if written as a fair-ish deal.

I’d still do it then.  No Bears fans would care too much about the other picks when we get to watch Caleb Williams dropping dimes to MHJ and DJ Moore starting next season.

3 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I’d still do it then.  No Bears fans would care too much about the other picks when we get to watch Caleb Williams dropping dimes to MHJ and DJ Moore starting next season.

If Fields has enough value…

Fields to Pittsburgh for their first.

Pitt’s pick and the number 9 for MHJ.

19 minutes ago, Quin said:

Guess he'll have to settle for the Bears' DC position.

It sounds unhinged but this guy is such a lifer I wonder if there is any coach he'd consider helping. More likely he goes to an advisory role while he waits out a gig. But I do joke about that moment where Belicheck was so laudatory to Flus after the bears whipped the patriots last year.

This cycle was wild to me. I'm embarrassed to be shocked that Brian Flores got no real traction after what he did in Minnesota this year. I'm pretty amazed Macdonald may end up without an HC role. Vrabel not being immediately snatched upf loors me.

And mainly it's because they are choosey, but considering some of the coaches (1-year OC in Canales, LInebacker coach in Las Vegas, Non-play calling OC in TN, Linebacker coach in NE) it's very surprising.

But also kinda good news for the bears as when I really was tipped over the edge on us not getting a coach was when it was clear vrabel would be available. That guy can coach.