2023-24 NFL Season Thread

1 hour ago, T R U said:

If Mac Jones value is a 6th round pick, I think there’s no way you get a 2nd for Fields. 

Mac Jones is an immobile turnstile with a questionable arm.  I don’t think his value reflects much on Fields.  Fields may only be worth a 3rd rounder but it won’t be because of Mac Jones.

39 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Mac Jones is an immobile turnstile with a questionable arm.  I don’t think his value reflects much on Fields.  Fields may only be worth a 3rd rounder but it won’t be because of Mac Jones.

I agree, but on the other hand if Mac Jones was bringing in a 3rd or 4th rounder we’d be pretty confident in Fields being worth atleast a 2nd. 

Cousins apparently makes his decision to test FA tonight. If the Vikings cant figure it out by tonight, he’s basically gone. You don’t let him hit the market knowing several teams will be interested. 

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Ok, Fields is an athletic QB who isn’t accurate and can’t read the field. Both aren’t very good and won’t command high end compensation. 

13 minutes ago, T R U said:

Ok, Fields is an athletic QB who isn’t accurate and can’t read the field. Both aren’t very good and won’t command high end compensation. 

Yep, but I think teams view Fields as having more perceived value because of his athleticism.  If he figures it out, he could be a Lamar Jackson type.  Mac Jones can only rely on his arm.

Why are people trying to tie Mac Jones to Fields? 

Jones started out well but has regressed heavily to the point where he got benched for Bailey Zappe on a 4 win Patriots team. 

Fields is a better thrower and runner than Jones and has actually shown improvement year to year in almost every advanced metric, even if he did not take the leap people were expecting last year. They are not and should not be in the same neighborhood of value. 

• Like 1

Mac Jones is actually coming from an organization that knows how to develop QBs and sucked. Fields is getting traded out of an organization that has no clue how to develop one and was... well... better than Mac Jones. I'm sure other organizations know that too. 

Mac Jones had a nice rookie season, then had Matt Patricia as his OC and has regressed. 

Why are they tied together? Their both former first round QBs who stink. 

27 minutes ago, T R U said:

Mac Jones had a nice rookie season, then had Matt Patricia as his OC and has regressed. 

Why are they tied together? Their both former first round QBs who stink. 

There are various levels of suck, and at the end of the day, Fields is at least elite at something while Jones really has no redeeming values as an NFL QB. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So what are our expectations for Bears free agency?  On the defensive side of things, I think we see one splashier signing for the D-Line (more likely an EDGE IMO) plus a starting safety.  Offensively, I expect at least one WR added (unsure of the caliber) and a TE to pair with Kmet.  Not sure what they do on the O-Line, but at minimum they will add some depth there even they plan to go with Bates at Center.

I do kind of think that they might make a serious run at Saquon.  PFF projects he will get a 3/$36M deal with $19M in guaranteed money, which is very doable for us even if the common thinking is don’t spend big on RBs.  While I generally support that logic, I could get behind it as a creative way to help Williams out early on and I do think Saquon is a unique talent for the position.

I like this list. They have safety covered now - I expect dline will be their splash signing and I think they will go big here. 

I expect a vet wr and do think they may buy a rb like Jacobs or Saquon (st deal) and than could see them going after a te and maybe another olineman. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Mac Jones to the Jaquars for a 6th round pick.  Got to think there is at least one team out there that would do a 2nd for Fields.  I still hope Cousins resigns with the Vikings and the Falcons end up taking the plunge on Justin.

They need this to happen - but I think Cousins is gone unless he signs before league year starts - becomes way harder for Vikings I think cause they will have some dead cap space from his current deal or something weird. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

If the Fins guy is as good as people say I’ll take him or I am fine with Hunter. 

Wilkins is probably getting $25 million a year.

5 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Damn - Wilson to Steelers. Was hoping Raiders would get him. Hopefully Broncos or Vikes get cousins. 

If Atlanta signs Cousins, it’s between Vikings and Broncos. Terrible. And you can guarantee, between those two teams and the Raiders, someone is moving up for McCarthy.

We may have to seriously consider trading him to be a backup QB. It’s not just a negotiating tactic, no one wants Fields. And if they are considering keeping him past the draft, it’ll be a disaster. “Wait until draft day,” “Wait until training camp,”Wait until the season when a starter goes down.” Unload the baggage and move on. We’re not going to pick up a 5th year option on him, so why have Fields playing disgruntled and looking over his shoulder?

1 hour ago, Flash Tizzle said:

If Atlanta signs Cousins, it’s between Vikings and Broncos. Terrible. And you can guarantee, between those two teams and the Raiders, someone is moving up for McCarthy.

We may have to seriously consider trading him to be a backup QB. It’s not just a negotiating tactic, no one wants Fields. And if they are considering keeping him past the draft, it’ll be a disaster. “Wait until draft day,” “Wait until training camp,”Wait until the season when a starter goes down.” Unload the baggage and move on. We’re not going to pick up a 5th year option on him, so why have Fields playing disgruntled and looking over his shoulder?

Well, if cousins signs with falcons we are talking about teams paying for a back up and that opens up a lot more.

Just…you know. At backup prices.

So bears basically punting on AH but the big news is their demand is apparently not to own their own stadium. They will contribute to a publicly funded one.

Some chatter about this being a missed opportunity for the mccaskeys but I dont see, as a bears fan, why I should care about their loss revenue in sucking money from gambling addicts in AH will truly affect the bears operations. The nfl is so shared now in its operating costs. The bears may well get a better deal in their power and revenue collected from the stadium (I.e. non bears events).

I was pro Arlington heights but honestly so grossed out by the ubiquitous of gambling now would much rather this than a franchise half owned by Ballys

34 minutes ago, bmags said:

So bears basically punting on AH but the big news is their demand is apparently not to own their own stadium. They will contribute to a publicly funded one.

Some chatter about this being a missed opportunity for the mccaskeys but I dont see, as a bears fan, why I should care about their loss revenue in sucking money from gambling addicts in AH will truly affect the bears operations. The nfl is so shared now in its operating costs. The bears may well get a better deal in their power and revenue collected from the stadium (I.e. non bears events).

I was pro Arlington heights but honestly so grossed out by the ubiquitous of gambling now would much rather this than a franchise half owned by Ballys

They will never get the OK to build where they want to build.

7 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

If the Fins guy is as good as people say I’ll take him or I am fine with Hunter. 

He's a good player, but hes not an elite player. Hes going to get a huge contract because that's just how it works in free agency. High motor guy, good player, but not an elite level player.

People seriously wanted to stick with Fields at QB, and here we are with seemingly no teams willing to give up anything of value for him. That’s about right with the Bears.

And the McCaskeys are cheaping out on their planned stadium? I’m sure we’re all shocked.

So we’re less than an hour away from free agency opening up.  I think we see a couple quick strikes from Poles today.  Definitely expecting us to sign one of the more impactful EDGE’s (Greenard or Huff being most likely), which is probably the finishing touch (outside of some depth signings) for what should be a high-end defense year next year.

On the offensive side, I still think Saquon is a very real possibility and if so we find in the next few hours.  Rumors are that the Eagles are in heavy pursuit, but I do think it’s harder to afford a luxury item like Barkley when you’re paying your QB top dollar.  I know I’m very much in the minority amongst Bear fans, but I would love the addition.  I’d much rather pay for him than sign the type of WR who will go for similar money in FA.  No doubt we need to add a WR or two in free agency for depth purposes, but I think we should double-dip in the draft to get impactful ones, including taking one at the 1.09 (or via a trade-down).

The O-Line is the other place I could see a bigger signing right off the back, especially at Center.  The question quickly becomes is Bates really cemented at Center or does Poles envision him as the backup at all three interior spots.  To me, signing a stud Center would be prudent with Williams coming on board and there are a ton of options in free agency.  Just not sure what Poles is thinking there and Brad Biggs seems to be suggesting Bates is the plan for Center.