2023-24 NFL Season Thread

15 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

Everyone besides a decent percent of Bears fans did.

I think very little of him as a QB, and this is embarrassing.

None of it will matter, 0%, if Caleb Williams is the real deal. Even if Fields goes on to show more than he did in Chicago, if Williams plays at the level basically every scout and prognosticator projects him to, I wouldnā€™t bat an eye if they just had to release Fields.Ā 

If heā€™s another bust in the long line of busts, then Poles wonā€™t be here long and it will be another GM in his seat still searching for that QB the Bears canā€™t find.Ā 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Milkman delivers said:

You have to wonder if the Eagles were willing to give the Bears the deal the Steelers got for Pickett, but then Khan swooped in and got rid of the last realistic suitor for Fields, which drove his price down even more. A 6th next year is just baffling. The 4th round possibility is unrealistic unless Wilson gets hurt. The Bears gave up more for Ryan Bates. The Bears sent a 6th for freaking Dan Feeney. This is literally a case of we don't want to cut the guy, so please take him for basically nothing. What's actually kind of funny is that the Bears would have saved about 3 million if they cut Fields as opposed to trading him. That might have actually been a better option outside of the ability to choose where you send him.Ā 

Edited by chw42
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Milkman delivers said:

There were two very such posters here. Ā I have no idea how any Bears fan thought he could become a good passer when he only ever excelled against garbage defenses. Ā His first and only reads worked against garbage teams. Ā Not against good ones. Ā Heā€™s a mediocre QB but heā€™s still worth more than what he ended up being traded for.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, chw42 said:

You have to wonder if the Eagles were willing to give the Bears the deal the Steelers got for Pickett, but then Khan swooped in and got rid of the last realistic suitor for Fields, which drove his price down even more. A 6th next year is just baffling. The 4th round possibility is unrealistic unless Wilson gets hurt. The Bears gave up more for Ryan Bates. The Bears sent a 6th for freaking Dan Feeney. This is literally a case of we don't want to cut the guy, so please take him for basically nothing. What's actually kind of funny is that the Bears would have saved about 3 million if they cut Fields as opposed to trading him. That might have actually been a better option outside of the ability to choose where you send him.Ā 

Itā€™s quite obvious that Poles overestimated Fieldsā€™ value and held on to him too long while every team that wanted a QB traded for someone else.

Your example is an excellent one. Ā The Bears traded a 5th round pick for a backup OL in Ryan Bates who was about to be cut, but Fields only goes for a conditional 6th rounder that could turn into a 4th if he plays enough?

Anyone who thinks Poles didnā€™t screw up is wrong, period.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Itā€™s quite obvious that Poles overestimated Fieldsā€™ value and held on to him too long while every team that wanted a QB traded for someone else.

Your example is an excellent one. Ā The Bears traded a 5th round pick for a backup OL in Ryan Bates but Fields only goes for a conditional 6th rounder that could turn into a 4th if he plays enough?

Poles trades are either really good or really terrible. Not a whole lot of in-between.Ā 

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

The 4th round possibility is unrealistic unless Wilson gets hurt.Ā Ā 

Wilson is washed. I firmly believe that. I would not be surprised if Justin is starting by week 5.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Poles trades are either really good or really terrible. Not a whole lot of in-between.Ā 

A second round pick for Chase Claypool and a fourth round pick for Keenan Allen. Ā Either Poles is schizophrenic or he is learning. Ā šŸ¤£

6 hours ago, MexSoxFan#1 said:

No, no such curse, the Bears just suck at evaluating QBs (Mahomes, Stroud) and even worse at developing them. That said, I hope Williams is the clear franchise QB we've all been waiting for but I have my doubts about him and I truly hope I'm wrong. JF is a good guy, I hope he gets the coaching and development he clearly never got in Chicago and wish him a nice NFL career. If the Bears f this one up with CW, I officially turn in my Bears fan card and just resign myself to the fact that we will never have a top QB lol

No you wonā€™t, just like everyone else saying that.

4 hours ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Poles was always on the wrong end of the deal. There was no option of keeping Fields if the Bears didnā€™t like the offers. I donā€™t know if this was all an attempt to ā€œdo right by Fields,ā€ but if anything is going to motivate Justin itā€™s this weak return.Ā 

If they tried to do right by Fields at the expense of the team, they should all be fired and no team should give them a second chance.

• Paper Bag 1

7 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Wilson is washed. I firmly believe that. I would not be surprised if Justin is starting by week 5.

Itā€™s funny but these are also terrible QBs for Arthur Smith

7 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Your example is an excellent one. Ā The Bears traded a 5th round pick for a backup OL in Ryan Bates who was about to be cut, but Fields only goes for a conditional 6th rounder that could turn into a 4th if he plays enough?

To be fair given what guards went for in free agency, getting a locked in 2 year 8 mill deal for a guard you like may be worth the price.

Just like if Allen was cut, no guarantee he chooses Chicago.Ā 

6 hours ago, Milkman delivers said:

If they tried to do right by Fields at the expense of the team, they should all be fired and no team should give them a second chance.

A source told ESPN that five teams in addition to Pittsburgh reached out to Chicago, and the majority of those teams had envisioned the former first-round pick in a backup role. Additionally, the Steelers had been in talks with the Bears throughout the week of free agency and reached out again after sendingĀ Kenny PickettĀ to theĀ Philadelphia EaglesĀ on Friday. The Bears had an additional offer with stronger draft capital from a team with an established starter, per a source, but chose to send Fields to Pittsburgh with the hope of putting the 25-year-old in a position to continue his development -- first as a backup to Wilson and eventually as a starter.

In Indianapolis, Bears GM Ryan Poles said he wanted to "do right" by Fields, which included not keeping him on a team with a rookie and finding a spot where he could continue developing. In Pittsburgh, Fields will have that chance.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39747405/nfl-justin-fields-steelers-bears-trade-russell-wilson

• Paper Bag 1

A line from Biggs stood out to me today. Basically all of Fields highlight plays were of him running or making a play while he was running.Ā 
Ā 

So few plays where he was just in rhythm. We all know it - but think of other great qbs - yes unscripted happens - but how man nice plays happen in the pocket too. You just canā€™t win in the league the way Fields played.Ā 
Ā 

5 passing tds in final 8 games. Tons of turnovers and very low qbr in 4th quarter.Ā 

7 hours ago, Milkman delivers said:

Yes I will, you don't know me and stop pretending you do. I wanted to keep Fields for a haul, taking MHjr and more picks to keep buildingthe team. I never badmouthed CW, I just said his game vs ND made me nervous. You canā€™t point to not one post here where I said CW sucks and JF is awesome. My main prospect in this draft, and still is is Harrison. TBH, I don't trust the Bears QB evaluators, they have given absolute zero reason in recent drafts why we should trust them, and much less their ability to develop a QB. I will root for CW or whomever the Bears pick because after all, I'm a Bears fan. Don't lump me in with those JF mouthbreathers who hate on CW (or whomever they pick). FOH

• Love 1

I know the packers are an opposite end here but I see this

Ā 

and I think to myself the idea that the great QBs were ā€œdevelopedā€ is extremely overrated.

Feels more like 60% luck, 30% scouting and 10% development.

I think you take the risk on a fields because the arm, accuracy when set and athleticism is worth seeing if he could improve his processing and sack avoidance.

It didnā€™t work out. And while he could have had better stats in other orgs, Iā€™m honestly not sure the degree better, certainly not to a top 15 QB imo.

And I say that because that is 4 different orgs. 1 was the best development situation of all time (Lance). Utter failure.

Pats developed best QB of all time. Consistently drafted later round QBs and flipped them (Garoppolo was equal value, but others as well). By year three they hated him.

Jets and Bears both equal strugglers. But Jets have Wilson a strong defense and a damn good skill room for wide outs. Failure.

The jags have Lawrence the worst first year set up of all time. Heā€™s a sure long time starter.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

A line from Biggs stood out to me today. Basically all of Fields highlight plays were of him running or making a play while he was running.Ā 
Ā 

So few plays where he was just in rhythm. We all know it - but think of other great qbs - yes unscripted happens - but how man nice plays happen in the pocket too. You just canā€™t win in the league the way Fields played.Ā 
Ā 

5 passing tds in final 8 games. Tons of turnovers and very low qbr in 4th quarter.Ā 

I mean it was never the highlight plays. Honestly he was probably one of the better Red Zone QBs I imagine.

But he just so consistently took a ten yard sack rather then finding a 5-6 yard gain and we could never get in field position. Add the fumbles to the sacks and it just destroyed the value he provided with his legs.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I know the packers are an opposite end here but I see this

Ā 

and I think to myself the idea that the great QBs were ā€œdevelopedā€ is extremely overrated.

Feels more like 60% luck, 30% scouting and 10% development.

I think you take the risk on a fields because the arm, accuracy when set and athleticism is worth seeing if he could improve his processing and sack avoidance.

It didnā€™t work out. And while he could have had better stats in other orgs, Iā€™m honestly not sure the degree better, certainly not to a top 15 QB imo.

Mac Jones' rookie season would be the second best bears QB season ever

I'm happy that Fields has a chance to step back, work on his game, and possibly resurrect a solid career. As noted above he needs to improve his reads and ability in the pocket. I believe he has the raw skills to make it happen.Ā 

Entering the off-season I would have traded Fields for any of the top three QBs in the draft. I see this (I know it's not accurate but makes me feel better) as they traded Fields for Williams and a 6th to 4th round pick.Ā 

3 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Ā 

Imagine an alternate universe where we end up with the Carolina pick after #5. Weā€™d likely keep Fields and go on with the narrative of building around him. And I think most wouldā€™ve been content with that scenario. Whatever happens with the QBs at the top of the class, we are very fortunate to be in this position.Ā 

19 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Imagine an alternate universe where we end up with the Carolina pick after #5. Weā€™d likely keep Fields and go on with the narrative of building around him. And I think most wouldā€™ve been content with that scenario. Whatever happens with the QBs at the top of the class, we are very fortunate to be in this position.Ā 

That also goes into this whole ā€œdoing right by Justinā€ conversation that makes this entire situation so unique.Ā 

If the Bears werenā€™t in line for one of the top 3 QBā€™s, there isnā€™t any conversation this offseason about moving on from Fields. Itā€™s simply building around him to give him as many weapons as possible. And as you said, while not ideal, it wouldnā€™t be a terrible spot to be in, this team as currently constructed, with Fields, has a shot to win 9-10 games next season with health on their side.Ā 

Acquiring the No. 1 overall (thanks Poles) changed everything, and thank god they are going to take advantage of this amazing opportunityĀ