The Sox Will Win the AL Central in 2023

Chicago White Sox

57 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

If the Sox don't at least advance to the ALCS, then I really don't care whether they make the playoffs or not.

To each his own but to me that's shortsighted. Making the playoffs 95% of the time means you had a hell of a season. This franchise isn't the Yankees, Dodgers, Cardinals or Braves who seemingly make the playoffs every year.

The Sox make the post season about as often as Republicans gets elected Mayor of Chicago. When it happens you need to enjoy the hell out of it. 

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • TLR 2

15 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

If the Sox don't at least advance to the ALCS, then I really don't care whether they make the playoffs or not.

When the Sox got knocked out by Houston two years ago, I still enjoyed the s%*# out of that series. The Sunday night game was awesome, and I wasn’t even there. Had some friends over to watch in my basement, and it was so fun. Then I went to the game on Tuesday when we got slaughtered and eliminated, and even that was a great memory. Waking up all jacked, taking the train down there with a buddy, going crazy when Rodon got out of the bases loaded jam and then when Sheets went deep for a 1-0 lead. Sure, the outcome sucked, but I would love another experience like that. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I’m as down on this org as anyone, but I can’t get with this line of thinking.  Making the post season is still an accomplishment for this team, and perhaps probably the best we can honestly hope for until we have new ownership, as sad as that is.  If missing the post season meant there would be FO change or that they would do things differently I might agree with you, but we all know it’s not the case. 

2 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

This is silly. While we’d all prefer to see a deep run, I would absolutely love to see the Sox in the playoffs, and perhaps even win a series in the scenario you laid out. 

We’ve seen playoff baseball 3x since the World Series in 05. Im not gonna sit here and turn my nose up to a playoff appearance 8 months in advance. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

This is silly. While we’d all prefer to see a deep run, I would absolutely love to see the Sox in the playoffs, and perhaps even win a series in the scenario you laid out. 

We’ve seen playoff baseball 3x since the World Series in 05. Im not gonna sit here and turn my nose up to a playoff appearance 8 months in advance. 

And let’s be honest, the 162 game path to get there is a lot more exciting when in contention

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I agree with this. Yes, the regular season is more fun when in contention and yes its great to watch playoff games that include the Sox.

It is, however, soul crushing to spend an entire 162 game season putting in the time and commitment to watching probably 140 of these games if not more only to see them get unceremoniously dumped in the first round. I understand what hes trying to say.

• Like 1

Winning baseball is more fun. It is poetic last year finished at .500 because I can't really think of a winning sox year that I wasn't fond of but last year woulda been it.

I absolutely adored that 2010 team and that was so painful not making it in.

Yes, making the playoffs is a big deal. Yes, it should be celebrated, commensurate with its acheivement - you're in the top 20% of teams. Great. Good for the White Sox that they are in the upper tier.

Here's the problem though: we haven't been sold the line that this is a contending team with budget constraints that will compete in the playoffs and may or may not win. We've been sold the line that this is a "multiple championship" window of contention - which is complete bullshit given the way the White Sox have run their budget with their eyes wide open to how the rest of the league wins. They sold us this line expecting every good prospect to hit the top of their projections and stay healthy, and as usual they have not complimented their team with high flying FA in the prime of their career who can delver 6-8 WAR on demand. Because the White Sox are cheapskates. 

That the system is broken and only rewards the big spending teams willing to take luxury tax hits and disregard budget constraints is an unfortunate reality, but it's been an unfortunate reality for 3 decades now since the Yankees started buying championships and the Red Sox and Cardinals followed suit. You want to win in this league? Stop wringing your hands over "the largest contract ever offered by the Sox" and wonder why we aren't dumping $300 million on the pavement and actually trying to win.

It would be nice if for once in my lifetime I could say that the White Sox wasted a ton of money compared to all other teams in an effort to actually win.

• Like 3

On 2/25/2023 at 1:34 PM, Bossanoveralls said:

These mopes chapped my ass so bad last year that I could not possibly care less where they finish this year.

I'll watch. I'll boo and his and woo hoo just like always.

They are not gonna make me care. Not even a little bit.

Go Bears

🐻🐻🐻🐻

If only you wore the same pair of glasses to watch the Bears.  

We're going to make the playoffs and win the WS in three games when the NL team forfeits after realizing they have no chance. 

Or finish two games over .500 while getting eliminated in game 159. 

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

We're going to make the playoffs and win the WS in three games when the NL team forfeits after realizing they have no chance. 

Or finish two games over .500 while getting eliminated in game 159. 

This makes sense. The White Sox can have a big year and win their division, maybe even advance in the playoffs. Or they could be mediocre again. They're that hard to predict.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2023 at 10:49 AM, bmags said:

Winning baseball is more fun. It is poetic last year finished at .500 because I can't really think of a winning sox year that I wasn't fond of but last year woulda been it.

I absolutely adored that 2010 team and that was so painful not making it in.

2006 was a massive gut punch to me

8 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

2006 was a massive gut punch to me

Definitely at the time. But pre ASB that was about as fun as baseball could be considering we already won and didn't have to prove anything.

That Iguchi game where he hit 3 home runs (but we still lost) was just so much of the type of fun we were having. Then just slow grinding performance loss.

• Like 2

On 2/26/2023 at 12:15 PM, fathom said:

And let’s be honest, the 162 game path to get there is a lot more exciting when in contention

Very true. Good teams make for good memories. Crap teams, we may not forgot them, but not good memories.

The Last Comiskey docu-series shows us that. Good teams even when they fall short are fun. As fans that's all we can hope for since we know winning World Series is extremely difficult.

On 2/27/2023 at 10:43 AM, T R U said:

I agree with this. Yes, the regular season is more fun when in contention and yes its great to watch playoff games that include the Sox.

It is, however, soul crushing to spend an entire 162 game season putting in the time and commitment to watching probably 140 of these games if not more only to see them get unceremoniously dumped in the first round. I understand what hes trying to say.

Especially when they forced you to endure years of tanking to get to this point and the statements and actions (or lack thereof) of this clown show front office.