2 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

If Kopech cant get his velocity back and his breaking pitches aren't better placed with more movement, then yes he might be done as a starter in the near future. It's one thing if Kopech's previous nasty stuff was there and he just got hit hard and had a bad game. His stuff wasn't there the entire outing and that is why he was hit hard today. Keep in mind this was a Giants team that got shutout in 2 of the 3 games in their prior Yankees series.

I do agree with you Kopech should have been pulled sooner. This is a concern with me about Grifol as a rookie manager and learning to properly use the bullpen.

Still Kopech is an improvement over Keuchel, who lost many games for the Sox last year.

4 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

Still Kopech is an improvement over Keuchel, who lost many games for the Sox last year.

But not the perennial Cy Young contender we were promised...

Under 35,000 for Opening Day attendance doesn't bode well.

We'll get a much better idea of their attendance/season ticket base during the April/weekday home games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

We'll get a much better idea of their attendance/season ticket base during the April/weekday home games.

Sox fans will come out when they win. It's the way it always is. 

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, JoeC said:

While I appreciate the optimism... Kopech's final ST start should have been in ST.

Today should probably have been treated as his first regular season start.

Except they had him miss a turn for whatever reason.  So while most all SPs in baseball got 5 starts and around 20ish innings, Kopech had 4 and only 12 innings.  

So in general Kopech is now built up to about where everyone else was to start the season 

And for Kopech coming back from an offseason surgery, he will probably need another start or 2 until he gets dialed in.  

3rd or 4th week of April should be where Kopech has his put up or shut up games.  

Personally I think by then he will be putting up big numbers and shutting up some fans that are already calling for the hook 

• Like 1

Just now, Polar Bear said:

Except they had him miss a turn for whatever reason.  So while most all SPs in baseball got 5 starts and around 20ish innings, Kopech had 4 and only 12 innings.  

So in general Kopech is now built up to about where everyone else was to start the season 

And for Kopech coming back from an offseason surgery, he will probably need another start or 2 until he gets dialed in.  

3rd or 4th week of April should be where Kopech has his put up or shut up games.  

Personally I think by then he will be putting up big numbers and shutting up some fans that are already calling for the hook 

Calling for the hook would be ridiculous since we don't even have a now injured Cueto for rotation depth.

They will sink or swim with him...Hahn's decisions in those big trades will carry the team (or not).

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I always got the game two tix. 20 degrees and 2,000 fans. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I think it was closer to 37 thousand according to the box score.

1 hour ago, The Beast said:

How can you be so certain? Should we make a list of posters panicking and wetting the bed after five games?

Sale had one good year since then and has had a plethora of injuries. I’m not worried about that trade at all, it was the right move at the right time.

I don't think fans are panicking. 

But...

The aftertaste of last season is still strong as is the fact the rebuild hasn't gone as promised. The White Sox themselves did a lot of talking about getting to the World Series, multiple championships and Rick Hahn's famous comment "Talk to me after the parade." 

None of that has happened. 

A good start will help take some of that aftertaste away but the Sox have a very difficult April schedule and did little in the off-season to inspire confidence so if fans are apprehensive I can't blame them given the situation. 

That was the worst home opener I have been to ever and one of the worst Sox games I have ever attended. The whole thing started with a strange flyover of what looked like two commercial Southwest airlines planes...ridiculous.  If TLR managed this game the way Grifol did, his detractors would have gone apoplectic with fan rage. Why would Grifo leave Kopech in to get smoked and humiliated in front of an Opening Day crowd? Why would Grifo let SF take batting practice in front of an Opening day crowd demoralizing them and embarrassing the team?  Yes this was only one game, but it is one that a lot of Sox fans, the players and ownership won't soon forget. Great job Grifo.

• Thanks 1
  • TLR 1

8 minutes ago, tray said:

That was the worst home opener I have been to ever and one of the worst Sox games I have ever attended. The whole thing started with a strange flyover of what looked like two commercial Southwest airlines planes...ridiculous.  If TLR managed this game the way Grifol did, his detractors would have gone apoplectic with fan rage. Why would Grifo leave Kopech in to get smoked and humiliated in front of an Opening Day crowd? Why would Grifo let SF take batting practice in front of an Opening day crowd demoralizing them and embarrassing the team?  Yes this was only one game, but it is one that a lot of Sox fans, the players and ownership won't soon forget. Great job Grifo.

It was disgraceful.  But the angry mob ran TLR out of town and they'll be begging for him back soon.

6 minutes ago, tray said:

Dude, I know your shtick is to always go against the grain, but the organization is the definition of mediocre and will always be until unfortunately Jerry goes, but even then who knows we might end up with believe it or not a BIGGER s%*# owner. They have some good players, they have some bad players
 Grifol isn’t going to “fix” this roster
 he’s probably going to be pretty bad his first year with in game decision, but at least he’s not a corpse in the dugout and is playing the “starters” pretty regularly for better or worse
 that’s the team he was given. 

• Like 1

I was also at the game today and it was brutal.  This franchise is really circling the drain.  I've never seen such poor attendance for opening day - and that includes days with MUCH worse weather, so can't blame it on that.  The fans are giving up after the horrendous offeseason and I can't blame them.  Kopech is a bust.  So are most of the others who were once highly regarded.  Also the new beer patios on the 500 level are a joke and have about 2-3 tables set so far back you can't even see the field.

Edited by Green Line
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Green Line said:

I was also at the game today and it was brutal.  This franchise is really circling the drain.  I've never seen such poor attendance for opening day - and that includes days with MUCH worse weather, so can't blame it on that.  The fans are giving up after the horrendous offeseason and I can't blame them.  Kopech is a bust.  So are most of the others who were once highly regarded.  Also the new beer patios on the 500 level are a joke and have about 2-3 tables set so far back you can't even see the field.

Cease is the only player from the rebuild that hasn't been at the very least a disappointment. 

Maybe Giolito as well. He had 3 very good years but he's not the same guy with reduced velocity. 

Not to say that guys like Moncada, Jimenez and Robert aren't solid players but they're not stars. 

Edited by baseballgalaly

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

We'll need an attendance tracking thread

Given the hot start by the Twins and the Sox already 2 1/2 back and we haven't even played a week, that series next week in Minnesota is looking at little more important in my mind. Like Grifol said (and he's right) you can't win a pennant in April but you can sure lose one in it.

1 hour ago, Polar Bear said:

It’s always the future with this Kopech guy isn’t it?

Edited by SpringfieldFan