Moncada actually dealing with a back issue.

Greg Hibbard

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

That would be the kind of injury that would explain an awful lot of his 2022 performance.

He initially lingered on the roster until being placed on the IL, so my first inclination is he may have had pain, but this wasn’t formally diagnosed until the past week or two.

Would like to know if anyone asked a follow up question as to when when Yoan first exhibited symptoms and when this issue first diagnosed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

He initially lingered on the roster until being placed on the IL, so my first inclination is he may have had pain, but this wasn’t formally diagnosed until the past week or two.

Would like to know if anyone asked a follow up question as to when when Yoan first exhibited symptoms and when this issue first diagnosed.

This is both harsh but also true - their honesty over injuries in 2022 was atrocious. They didn't admit Grandal had a back issue until what, December? If he was having back issues, that could have been a contributing factor to the leg injuries that did put him on the IL, it could easily be why he hit .220, why he would have the occasional good game or good couple games, and it's entirely consistent with their other behavior regarding injuries in 2022 as they clearly covered stuff up or pretended it could be ignored. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

I'll defer to PTATC for his expert opinion, but anecdotally I've had a disk slip a few times in my life, numb leg(s) and all.  Resolved itself with increased walking and abdominal strength building exercises and not sleeping on my stomach, has not flared up in probably 8 years now.  I'm sure it depends how bad it is, but not necessarily a season ender for folks with a normal pain tolerance, Yoan might be a diff story however .

This is the more common injury prognosis. Without an examination there is no way to tell but to say the career is in jeopardy right now is a little premature. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

They were claiming it flared up during the long WBC flights he was on, which seems pretty accurate based on my past experience with flared/bulging discs. 

Sitting puts the most stress on the disc. Especially if it's poor posture. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Pedro is the one who talked about the WBC earlier this year.

I was against any Sox guys being allowed to play in that exhibition. Their first priority should be to the organization paying them millions of dollars, not to play in a made for TV farce. 

• Fire 1

Just now, joejoesox said:

Said it's pain in glutes. 

That's a whole lot better than going passed the knee. 

If this has happened in the past it makes sense they were thinking just the Minnesota series.. We can improve the symptoms in less than a week many times. This one sounds it isn't responding as fast as previous episodes. Not a great sign. As long as the pain/numbness stays above the knee, it's a good sign

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Maybe for an average person. For a baseball player it is obviously the repetitive, violent torque movements. That is why disc herniations are far more common in baseball than other sports even though those athletes also sit on planes

34 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

Maybe for an average person. For a baseball player it is obviously the repetitive, violent torque movements. That is why disc herniations are far more common in baseball than other sports even though those athletes also sit on planes

No. The torque isn't as stressful as sitting for the disc to resistthe force. . The disc is designed with cross fibers to withstand the torque of turning. The weakness of the disc is the shearing force of sitting. 

Edited by ptatc

42 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

The average recovery for baseball players for herniated disc is over six months, so odds are his season is in fact cooked. The average person isn’t torquing his back hundreds of times per week swinging baseball bats

It doesn't appear that he has taken 6 months to rehab with his previous disc injuries. 

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Any reports if it was bilateral or unilateral? Did they says glutes or glute? 

Here are the details from the CST story:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2023/4/27/23701435/white-sox-yoan-moncada-dealing-with-disc-issue

The pain caused by the disc radiated into Moncada’s glutes. It’s possible Moncada would need surgery after the season, but the odds are in his favor against that.

“My understanding medically is that about 80% of them, they’re able to calm down naturally and then you go on with your life,” Hahn said. “And then about maybe two out of every 10, you have to have some sort of intervention in the offseason. It’s trending the right way right now.

“Hopefully he continues to progress over these seven or eight days and have an assignment soon after.

6 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Here are the details from the CST story:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2023/4/27/23701435/white-sox-yoan-moncada-dealing-with-disc-issue

The pain caused by the disc radiated into Moncada’s glutes. It’s possible Moncada would need surgery after the season, but the odds are in his favor against that.

“My understanding medically is that about 80% of them, they’re able to calm down naturally and then you go on with your life,” Hahn said. “And then about maybe two out of every 10, you have to have some sort of intervention in the offseason. It’s trending the right way right now.

“Hopefully he continues to progress over these seven or eight days and have an assignment soon after.

That's does make it more concerning, as it's a central herniation opposed to a unilateral. 

If it stays just in the hips and needs surgery it's a microdiscectomy instead of an open procedure. Much better chance of a good recovery. 

Edited by ptatc

15 minutes ago, ptatc said:

No. The torque isn't as stressful as sitting for the disc to resistthe force. . The disc is designed with cross fibers to withstand the torque of turning. The weakness of the disc is the shearing force of sitting. 

How do explain this then? Baseball players sitting at a significantly higher rate?

“Major League Baseball (MLB) players demonstrated a significantly higher RTP rate than those of other sports, and conversely, National Football League (NFL) athletes had a lower RTP rate“

“It has been postulated that the repetitive torque-producing motions of a baseball player may have negative implications after a disk injury….Ninety-seven percent of baseball athletes successfully returned to play at an average of 6.6 months after diagnosis.”

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22229920/

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Pedro is the one who talked about the WBC earlier this year.

I was against any Sox guys being allowed to play in that exhibition. Their first priority should be to the organization paying them millions of dollars, not to play in a made for TV farce. 

Especially with a new Manager and coming off such a bad season, and the last few years of spring training were interrupted by COVID and the strike.