The Chris Getz Era

Harold's Leg Lift

1 minute ago, baseballgalaly said:

If taking Madrigal and Vaughn was because Jerry said so and not because they were the best players on their board, then this team is more fucked than I thought. There truly might be no hope until new ownership. 

Well, I suppose the last two first rounders argue a change in approach...ultimately successful, we shall just have to wait and see. 

Supplementing the so-called contention window is out the window though. 

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, I suppose the last two first rounders argue a change in approach...ultimately successful, we shall just have to wait and see. 

Supplementing the so-called contention window is out the window though. 

Did you see what Jimmy said? There's a mandate for no HS players in the top 10. 

8 minutes ago, baseballgalaly said:

Setting an arbitrary parameter like that just shows how ridiculous the Sox are if they actually follow that. 

It's as arbitrary and capricious as the rest of the operation. 

As an operational guideline... if talent/potential is equivalent, sure. 

But that's almost never going to be the case with floor/ceiling on these collegiate vs. hs picks. 

Not only that but it puts you at a disadvantage with agents and other teams if they know exactly what you are going to do. 

Edited by caulfield12

22 minutes ago, baseballgalaly said:

If taking Madrigal and Vaughn was because Jerry said so and not because they were the best players on their board, then this team is more fucked than I thought. There truly might be no hope until new ownership. 

In retrospect, I think they were overconfident in their rebuild and took supposedly polished college players that would fit the same arrival timeline.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“With :30 seconds left in their selection time on draft day JR would say things like “You know this college right-handed pitcher has the lowest injury risk.”

I can tell you from multiple sources JR is involved in draft selections. 

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Like 1
  • Hawk 1

9 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

“With :30 seconds left in their selection time on draft day JR would say things like “You know this college right-handed pitcher has the lowest injury risk.”

I can tell you from multiple sources JR is involved in draft selections. 

Thankfully he skipped the Sale and Anderson drafts lol... especially the former. 

But that's also how we got McCulloch Ring Poreda and Broadway in the first round. 

I've never heard anything about mandates during the draft.  Obviously Reinsdorf doesn't like signing 14 yr old Latin players but I've never heard him saying they can't draft certain players.  Honestly it sounds like something someone would say after the fact to cover their ass.  Lots of that going on over there these days. 

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

On 4/23/2023 at 7:30 PM, baseballgalaly said:

I don’t think it’s a mandate. There’s definitely not a preference to pay $7 million for a prep guy with “more advanced” college players available 

On 4/24/2023 at 8:45 AM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I've never heard anything about mandates during the draft.  Obviously Reinsdorf doesn't like signing 14 yr old Latin players but I've never heard him saying they can't draft certain players.  Honestly it sounds like something someone would say after the fact to cover their ass.  Lots of that going on over there these days. 

There are clearly no mandates right now. When the slot value is $7 million plus though, the owner definitely prefers college guys 

On 4/23/2023 at 7:47 PM, Tnetennba said:

In retrospect, I think they were overconfident in their rebuild and took supposedly polished college players that would fit the same arrival timeline.   

They were lazy in the rebuild. They did just enough to have 7or 8 frontline players.  Hahn napped through most July trading seasons when he could have at least traded relievers when he had leverage he traded a few for Rule5 players).  He adamantly refused to build infrastructure such as state-of-the-art analytics.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1

On 4/19/2023 at 7:01 PM, chitownsportsfan said:

Who runs the best franchises in baseball, the Dodgers and Rays? Rick Hahn's college degrees are the least of our problems. It's his ability as a baseball executive.

How much of that is on Reinsdorf.  

On 4/23/2023 at 7:20 PM, baseballgalaly said:

That is the conclusion I am coming to! 

On 4/19/2023 at 9:01 PM, chitownsportsfan said:

Who runs the best franchises in baseball, the Dodgers and Rays? Rick Hahn's college degrees are the least of our problems. It's his ability as a baseball executive.

Absolutely correct the degrees have nothing to do with it. Hahn has a Bachelor degree form Michigan, a law degree from Harvard and an MBA from Northwestern. All three are top elite colleges. Case in point to your Dodgers and Rays example. Andrew Friedman who was the GM who built the Tampa Bay team and made them one of the best teams, with usually the smallest payroll, is now the President of the Dodgers. The fact is, he only has a BA from Tulane Univ and his MBA from Tulane. I'm sure Tulane is a great college, but it isn't anywhere close academically to the rankings of Hahn's three schools.

The key here is just because Hahn went to these elite schools, doesn't mean he gained any knowledge in common sense, proper baseball research, analytics, ability to apply accountability principles in the organization and follow up on that accountability he delegated. Most importantly, the ability to hire the right FO people underneath him which Hahn failed at, is obviously where Andrew Friedman has superior skills over Hahn.

The fact is, Hahn is a victim of the Peter Principle, which is just because he was a good asst. GM, doesn't mean he was capable of handling the extra responsibilities of the higher level of the GM or his present title of Senior VP and GM. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

“Never say never.” Uh oh, a clash of verisimilitudes. Now I don’t know what to think. Maybe I’ll rely on discernment instead, although the downside there is you’d have to actually use your brain

"Sometimes later becomes never, so do it now"