2024 - MLB Draft Thread

DirtySox

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I'm pretty conflicted. I wouldn't be upset if they landed the #1 pick but the franchise might be better off if they get the 7th pick. 

My tiebreaker is that I don't want them to have an argument to present to fans for tanking. I'd love to see JR and Getz spin putting out a bad team and be like "we wanted to get the #10 draft pick!"

• Like 1

My only thought is it’s hard to lose 100 games even when you try. I think this is one of the few years where the obvious worst team ends up with worst record.

Sox will be bad next year,  but in the least good division which may mute losses.

Id be happy if they get top 3, super annoyed if they got 5/6

• Like 4

2 hours ago, bmags said:

My only thought is it’s hard to lose 100 games even when you try. I think this is one of the few years where the obvious worst team ends up with worst record.

Sox will be bad next year,  but in the least good division which may mute losses.

Id be happy if they get top 3, super annoyed if they got 5/6

I'm hoping after this miserable season that the baseball gods will show mercy on us and have the lottery balls land the Sox outside of the top 6. However, I know that won't happen and they'll slide down to sixth, finish with the third worst record next season or some s%*# like that and mathematically "win" the 2025 lottery but don't because they can't pick higher than 10th. 

3 hours ago, Quin said:

My tiebreaker is that I don't want them to have an argument to present to fans for tanking. I'd love to see JR and Getz spin putting out a bad team and be like "we wanted to get the #10 draft pick!"

I just don't really care what they call it. The 2024 White Sox are going to be terrible. They'll have a very realistic shot at a bottom 3 record imo. 

Just now, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I just don't really care what they call it. The 2024 White Sox are going to be terrible. They'll have a very realistic shot at a bottom 3 record imo. 

Pragmatically, I know this. You know this.

I'm just being petty because I want to see them try and justify everything right after MLB puts anti-tank measures in place.

1 minute ago, Quin said:

Pragmatically, I know this. You know this.

I'm just being petty because I want to see them try and justify everything right after MLB puts anti-tank measures in place.

Oh yeah they're screwed. I don't think it's tanking though necessarily. They just don't have an easy way out right now. 

29 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

This is a bird in hand situation though. I know I've read people aren't super high on this class, but we KNOW we are top 3 bad this year. So if we get a top 3, is it worse to be 3 this year and 10 the next, or 7 this year and a potential to still be 4,5,6+?

I'm a bit confused by that part. BUT, it's one reason why I'd be open to signing that cuban reliever and seeing if you can flip him for a comp pick next year should you be top 3 this year, and still get a decent budget.

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

This is a bird in hand situation though. I know I've read people aren't super high on this class, but we KNOW we are top 3 bad this year. So if we get a top 3, is it worse to be 3 this year and 10 the next, or 7 this year and a potential to still be 4,5,6+?

I'm a bit confused by that part. BUT, it's one reason why I'd be open to signing that cuban reliever and seeing if you can flip him for a comp pick next year should you be top 3 this year, and still get a decent budget.

The best players in this draft are college 1B and 2B and college starters with reliever risk. Ethan Holliday is in next year's class. I won't be upset with a top 5 pick but the system blows for the White Sox 

2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The best players in this draft are college 1B and 2B and college starters with reliever risk. Ethan Holliday is in next year's class. I won't be upset with a top 5 pick but the system blows for the White Sox 

Everything blows for the White Sox as they are a major market team run like a small market team.  Sometimes I wish the White Sox didn't win the world series so the owner would have nothing to hang his pathetic hat or legacy on.

All the bullshit he pulled with former owners and presidents in his pocket is coming home to roost.

Most notably cancelling the world series and getting Harold BAines into the Hall of Fame.  Baines is a top three favorite player of mine. 

Edited by Harry Chappas

13 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I'm not interested in taking a 1B in the top five. 

I’m thinking of it like this, you’re drafting an elite, game changing bat (that just happens to play first base), not a first baseman per se. The comp on him is Yordan Alvarez. You’d take him 1-1. Yeah, he may not offer much positional value (although he can play the OF too) but he has the makings of a superstar at the plate.

Plus, he does all the things the Sox are bad at an elite level for a college player. I’m talking not just bat to ball skills and power but swing decisions and pitch recognition.

18 minutes ago, Boopa1219 said:

I’m thinking of it like this, you’re drafting an elite, game changing bat (that just happens to play first base), not a first baseman per se. The comp on him is Yordan Alvarez. You’d take him 1-1. Yeah, he may not offer much positional value (although he can play the OF too) but he has the makings of a superstar at the plate.

Plus, he does all the things the Sox are bad at an elite level for a college player. I’m talking not just bat to ball skills and power but swing decisions and pitch recognition.

.... it's almost like I'm reading Andrew Vaughn's profile when he was in college all over again.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Boopa1219 said:

I see it like this: draft shortstops and center fielders because the owner won’t spend on premium positions in free agency. They can find first base power elsewhere. Also, if Kurtz isn’t as good as projected ultimately, there’s no fallback plan or positional versatility. I hope someone else makes that call. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Brecht is going to be hard to pass on if he's there.  The command isn't where I want it to be but he literally checks every other box and I'm willing to give him a pass on the command because he's only focused on baseball for a year. He's big and strong w/top of the scale athleticism. It's a clean arm action w/ease of operation and top of the rotation stuff.   He also competes his ass off.  

23 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Brecht is going to be hard to pass on if he's there.  The command isn't where I want it to be but he literally checks every other box and I'm willing to give him a pass on the command because he's only focused on baseball for a year. He's big and strong w/top of the scale athleticism. It's a clean arm action w/ease of operation and top of the rotation stuff.   He also competes his ass off.  

I like this idea and Will Taylor on college side. I’m hoping PJ Morlando impresses on prep side 

• Like 1