Are the 2023 White Sox the worst Sox team you've ever seen?

joejoesox

2023 Sox: Worst you've ever seen?   

52 members have voted

1. 1. Are the 2023 White Sox the worst Sox team you've ever seen?

• Never seen anything like this.
    • No, this team was worse (Post in comments)

The late 80's Sox teams were brutal. The 90's and 2000's teams overall were fun to watch. The 2010's were a nightmare during the final Ozzie seasons and the Robin years. But this 2023 season has been an absolute train wreck from the top down. Jerry finally makes the right decision to fire KW and RH, but decides to immediately dilute any sort of hope by doing the lazy internal approach by bringing in Getz. And Getz made the immediate lazy approach by keeping arguably the worst White Sox manager of my lifetime in Pedro Grifol. 

As a Sox fan, i'm at a loss. I have no hope. The roster is beyond flawd. The manager is brutal. The GM is unworthy and inexperienced and the owner is hijacking any sort of hope in 2025 by attempting to patchwork a roster in 2024. A roster that currently has flaws all over the place. 

Yeah....this is bad. It's really bad. I think we all know that this will be bad until Jerry is officially gone. It sucks, because i'll always love this team. But I know, putting in alot of effort as a fan is not worth it anymore. I won't be following other teams, but I will definitley watch less baseball. I'll watch playoff baseball every year. But this regular season, I haven't watched a whole bunch. This is in part of the shitstorm that is white sox baseball. Thanks a lot, Jerry! 

Edited by GreatScott82
  • Like 3

Yes. This is the team that wrecked my spirit as a baseball fan. Never before in my fandom has a team been so unlikeable.

For example, in the past, even last year's .500 season, I could be willing to stand up for the White Sox, certainly specific players cause I loved Abreu. This year is one miserable trainwreck. It "appears" the team does not give effort. It "appears" it is poorly managed. And it most certainly is not built for modern baseball.

In fact it is built to lose, lose, lose modern baseball games as it has miserable relievers and horrendous starters who walk way too many batters.

The everyday players are unlikeable. Even the semi-likeable players like Vaughn have so many flaws in a majority of their at bats they are annoying.

There's nothing in the minors to save our team. There's a GM and manager who appear among the worst in all of baseball. The owner is offensive to me. The way this season has gone with that ridiculous early season losing streak and the obvious quitting after that means this season is BY FAR the worst Sox season in my lifetime and it has ruined my interest in baseball. I stopped watching games about a month ago and I've canceled my MLB for next season. I do normally check the game summary and box scores still.

Goodbye White Sox. It was a great run, great to know you, when you guys tried to field a winner at least.

• Like 1

so far the worst I've seen. but 2024 is right around the corner and we could have a new challenger.

in 1970 they lost 106 games, but had a few promising youngsters on the team. maybe that's what 2024 will be.

maybe Getz is keeping pedro around so the next real manager won't start off so badly. 

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Yes. This is the team that wrecked my spirit as a baseball fan. Never before in my fandom has a team been so unlikeable.

For example, in the past, even last year's .500 season, I could be willing to stand up for the White Sox, certainly specific players cause I loved Abreu. This year is one miserable trainwreck. It "appears" the team does not give effort. It "appears" it is poorly managed. And it most certainly is not built for modern baseball.

In fact it is built to lose, lose, lose modern baseball games as it has miserable relievers and horrendous starters who walk way too many batters.

The everyday players are unlikeable. Even the semi-likeable players like Vaughn have so many flaws in a majority of their at bats they are annoying.

There's nothing in the minors to save our team. There's a GM and manager who appear among the worst in all of baseball. The owner is offensive to me. The way this season has gone with that ridiculous early season losing streak and the obvious quitting after that means this season is BY FAR the worst Sox season in my lifetime and it has ruined my interest in baseball. I stopped watching games about a month ago and I've canceled my MLB for next season. I do normally check the game summary and box scores still.

Goodbye White Sox. It was a great run, great to know you, when you guys tried to field a winner at least.

Great points, could it be the JR is running the franchise into the ground with the end result being that eventually interest in the White Sox will be at an all time low with no one caring if JR sells to owners from another town. Why else do you sign a guy like Getz who has absolutely no experience as a GM and in turn Getz decides that Grifol who is the worst manager I have ever seen to lead the Sox forward, like forward to Nashville or some other Sun Belt city. I hope I’m wrong but as long as JR is owner of the White Sox nothing will surprise me with that man, I trust him as far as I can throw him.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Fire 1

The huge difference here is the difference between expectations and actual results. 

The 2022 opening day roster had almost everyone from Vegas to the casual fan expecting an easy division win, and to go at least two or three rounds in the playoffs. Folks that had no emotional bias looked at the roster and said wow. Fans said wow. If that team just meets expectations Hahn is Executive of the Year and Tony gets votes for Manager of the Year. 

Those 1980 and 1990 clubs we expected to be average and they maybe underperformed a little from expectations. 

If we expected this team to lose 90 games I could watch. I can't watch a squad that we expected to win 90 play this bad. 

The worst thing about this team is not that it will finish with a losing season. The fact that is has a real chance to lose 100 games is what is truly bad. Losing 100 is a special kind of bad. 

I recall sitting in old Comiskey Park watching the 1970 team lose 106. I felt more sorry for the team than anger.

There was a headline in the Sun-Times in May, 1970, saying that the team drew a little over 18,000 for a doubleheader. Yes, the Sox drawing just under 20,000 made headlines. I wonder if the team is returning to those days.

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

The huge difference here is the difference between expectations and actual results. 

The 2022 opening day roster had almost everyone from Vegas to the casual fan expecting an easy division win, and to go at least two or three rounds in the playoffs. Folks that had no emotional bias looked at the roster and said wow. Fans said wow. If that team just meets expectations Hahn is Executive of the Year and Tony gets votes for Manager of the Year. 

Those 1980 and 1990 clubs we expected to be average and they maybe underperformed a little from expectations. 

If we expected this team to lose 90 games I could watch. I can't watch a squad that we expected to win 90 play this bad. 

That team won 94 games and shocked the baseball world. They didn't underperform at all. 

It's the worst in the Reinsdorf era, IMO.

An infant and not cognizant of 1970, limited remembrance of the 1976 season.

MLB Standing and bWAR Rankings across MLB (1969-2023)

1. 1970 - Worst Record (56-106) and worst bWAR Rank (-22.5).
  2. 1976 - Second Worst Record (64-97) and second worst bWAR Rank (-13.7).
  3. 2023 - Fourth Worst Record (54-86) and fourth worst bWAR Rank (-17.3) YTD.
  4. 2018 -  Third Worst Record (62-100) and fifth worst bWAR Rank (-17.3).
  5. 2013 - Third Worst Record (63-99) and sixth worst bWAR Rank (-11.2).

I went to a bunch of games in '76. I few of my buddies had just gotten their driver's licenses and away we went. It was the good old days when guys would buy beer for 16 year olds lol (if we paid for theirs also)

Fun times watching mlb baseball. I really wish I could enjoy a bad team like that again.