Nightengale: Gio won't be on 2024 White Sox

Lip Man 1

Bob Nightengale (JR's personal mouthpiece) is reporting that if the Sox don't get back into the race they will be looking to move players at the deadline but regardless of if they get back into it or not, if they don't trade him, they have already decided not to bring Lucas Giolito back after this season.

Giolito will be a free agent after the season and if Nightengale is to be believed, no negotiations will be taking place to see if a new deal can be reached.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
  • Hawk 1

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Bob Nightengale (JR's personal mouthpiece) is reporting that if the Sox don't get back into the race they will be looking to move players at the deadline but regardless of if they get back into it or not, if they don't trade him, they have already decided not to bring Lucas Giolito back after this season.

Giolito will be a free agent after the season and if Nightengale is to be believed, no negotiations will be taking place to see if a new deal can be reached.

My money is on that this will be focused on moving salary, with incoming prospects secondary.  JR will then hunker down to the Royals model.
Giolito  must have aggrieved their thin skins in some way (arb., I suppose).
They could also consider not rushing Crochet into this bullpen.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Soxfest said:

JR is on record saying he will not give starting pitchers long term deals. Cease will be gone at some point. 

Might want to trade Cease now at his highest value since we all know JR ain't paying him either. 

Since 2000, the only time the Sox seem to assemble a winning pitching group is when the scrap heap guys or longshot picks they get for their rotation actually work out, or when longtime mediocre pitchers have a fluke good year or half year.

It literally never seems to be FA acquisitions with proven high quality ML talent. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, HoosierSox said:

Might want to trade Cease now at his highest value since we all know JR ain't paying him either. 

Wait till the deadline so some team like Pittsburgh thinks they have a chance and overpay. 

I don't think it will matter much but the Sox rotation next year looks like Cease, Kopech, Martin...?...?...?

If they trade TA, they should prioritize pitching. Dodgers have three guys who are close -- Pepiot, Stone, and Miller. I would take any of those three.  Gio would get you something. They should start shopping him now while he's still pitching well.

Internally, there's not a lot. I do not believe in Burke. Mena is very young, but he has plus control and pretty good command. I could see him coming fast. Cannon will be up by the end of next year. Don't know how much impact he'll have, though. Matthew Thompson is teasing that he may be a big leaguer. Under the radar lefties like Sommer and Murphy might be depth options by next year?

Other than that, you can count on a couple of scrap heap signings.

• Like 2

Once there was a lockout, there was no chance Lucas would be a White Sox past 2023. Check JRs history with player reps, especially those during tough labor times, and going further, those that aren’t afraid to speak up.

• Like 5
  • Hawk 1

5 minutes ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

But just once it would be nice to sign a real starting pitcher even if you’re overpaying for him on the back end of the contract.

I will never forgive him for passing on Clemens and signing Jaime Navarro instead.

We're there with a seat at the table for Wheeler and Tanaka lol... always finishing with second and third tier guys with Clevinger so typical. 

We do trade for second tier guys who supposedly are having onto first tier status and actually end up closer to third... Shark Shields Lynn Clevinger, etc. 

Then there's the Rodon and Cueto one year wonders. 

• Hawk 1

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Once there was a lockout, there was no chance Lucas would be a White Sox past 2023. Check JRs history with player reps, especially those during tough labor times, and going further, those that aren’t afraid to speak up.

That family already had money/independence and they were never going to be bullied into a team-friendly deal..

• Hawk 1

17 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

If they trade TA, they should prioritize pitching. Dodgers have three guys who are close -- Pepiot, Stone, and Miller. I would take any of those three.  Gio would get you something. They should start shopping him now while he's still pitching well.

Internally, there's not a lot. I do not believe in Burke. Mena is very young, but he has plus control and pretty good command. I could see him coming fast. Cannon will be up by the end of next year. Don't know how much impact he'll have, though. Matthew Thompson is teasing that he may be a big leaguer. Under the radar lefties like Sommer and Murphy might be depth options by next year?

Other than that, you can count on a couple of scrap heap signings.

That would be cool if Bobby Miller wound up with the Sox, he was a great pitcher up in McHenry but more important to me is that he is the grandson of my best friend growing up in Rogers Park, unfortunately he never got to see Bobby pitch as he had a bad time in Vietnam and came back a mess with PTSD and other problems and died about 20 years ago.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 2
  • Fire 1

Just now, The Mighty Mite said:

That would be cool if Bobby Miller wound up with the Sox, he was a great pitcher up in McHenry but more important to me is that he is the grandson of my best friend growing up in Rogers Park, unfortunately he never got to see Bobby pitch as he had a bad time in Vietnam and came back a mess and died about 20 years ago.

Ugh, sorry to hear about your friend. I'll be rooting for Miller regardless of uniform.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hawk 1

16 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Nice of them to broadcast their cost cutting intentions early.  Zero surprise though.  Gio, Lynn, & TA are as good as gone.  Get ready for the deck chair shuffling return to middling mediocrity. 

You are right. This is no surprise. And I have the strong feeling they have already decided the team is not getting back into contention. So much for the rebuild.

• Hawk 1

18 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Like the James Shields and Samardzija trades? 

Of course we'll be on the other side of this one, so it's unlikely Hahn will do that kind of damage.  Well, I suppose he could if he ties our better prospects with, say Lynn or Joe Kelly, to get the salary off of the books.  
But I think it's more likely that he just squanders: ties Giolito with Kelly for a couple of Rule 5 guys.
Now if he takes June and July seriously, and has his pro scouting department (such as it is) on high alert, and works tirelessly and uses his leverage to negotiate the best offer, he could improve the team.  I'll believe that when I see it.

1 hour ago, Big Hurtin said:

It would be so dumb to not trade him.  You have to get something for him.

The Sox MO.  What they usually get isn't really different then letting him walk,   Then in the FA market they only sign something.

The issue is scouting. 

They will probably be duking it out for last place with the Royals the rest of my lifetime. 

• Like 1
  • Hawk 1
  • TLR 1

• Quin changed the title to Nightengale: Gio won't be on 2024 White Sox