5/30/2023 - Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim @ Sox, 7:10 CT start

JoeC

17 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Gotta love the good that happens on the field when it happens. We are all pretty resigned to the idea that making the playoffs is probably a 10-1 shot right now.

White Sox with 0.1 to win WS but lower playoff odds than DET

also Twins have easiest strength of remaining schedule

1Twins/2 Guardians/3 Sox/4 Tigers/5 Royals
Regular Season

Postseason

W L W% GB Proj W Proj L ROS W% Strength of Sched Win Div Clinch Bye Clinch Wild Card Make Playoffs Win World Series
  28 26 .519 0.0 84.6 77.4 .524 .491 77.5% 9.0% 0.6% 78.1% 3.8%
  24 30 .444 4.0 76.8 85.2 .489 .501 13.5% 0.4% 0.9% 14.4% 0.4%
  22 34 .393 7.0 73.1 88.9 .482 .496 4.1% 0.0% 0.2% 4.4% 0.1%
  25 28 .472 2.5 73.2 88.8 .442 .500 4.8% 0.1% 0.2% 5.0% 0.0%
  17 39 .304 12.0 64.2 97.8 .445 .501 0.1% 0.0% 0.0% 0.1%

0.0%

2 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Agree on RBI, if hitters don’t drive in runs, it’s hard to win ballgames.

Years ago there was a great stat used by The Sporting News.  Runs Produced.  The sum of runs scored and RBI minus home runs.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Agree on RBI, if hitters don’t drive in runs, it’s hard to win ballgames.

17 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Years ago there was a great stat used by The Sporting News.  Runs Produced.  The sum of runs scored and RBI minus home runs.  

Also, let's look at this:

1) What pushed Abreu over Ramirez for MVP was the RBI stat. They were 1 (Ramirez) and 2 (Abreu) in fWAR that season, but Abreu had 60 RBIs in 60 games for a playoff team vs. 45 for a non-playoff team.

2) Despite Caulfield repeating it ad nauseum, no analytics guys are ragging on it? It'd be one thing if it was 2016 Jedd Gyorko with 30 HRs and 59 RBIs (.757 OPS with RISP that season, WRC+ of 101). 

Well the dreaded advanced stats tell us that Andrew Vaughn with RISP basically becomes a monster - 1.374 OPS, 259 WRC+

10 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

6 games back again...

Sigh.

Just please allow the White Sox to have a defined position one way or the other going into early June.

Can't afford to get nothing for Giolito, Grandal, Clevinger, Lynn, Lopez, Middleton, Bummer, Kelly, etc.

You will get nothing for most of those guys anyways....😶😶😶😶

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoshPR said:

You will get nothing for most of those guys anyways....😶😶😶😶

Grandal, Giolito and Lopez are the key UFA's after this season. Secondary UFA's are Andrus, Alberto, Hamilton and Middleton. None of these secondary FA's matter except maybe trying to make a qualifying offer to Middleton. 

I think Giolito and Lopez could bring something back in value. Maybe it's not as much as we would like, but better than nothing.

Remember there are other quality baseball clubs out there that are not as fu*ked up as the White sox in terms of developing and coaching talent. The Rays, Giants and Braves are a few examples of clubs that can and have turned players around. There are many others as well. All you need is one team who sees the value of a Giolito for example and wants to go for the World Series and has the deep farm system willing to give up some prospects.

The worst case nightmare scenario is we are close to the Twins and we don't become sellers at the trade deadline. Then we falter miserably and not win the division. Then the Sox wasted the chance to get some young prospects back. Yeah I guess they could always make a 2024 low end qualifying offer and then get compensatory draft pick back, when the player rejects the offer.

20 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Grandal, Giolito and Lopez are the key UFA's after this season. Secondary UFA's are Andrus, Alberto, Hamilton and Middleton. None of these secondary FA's matter except maybe trying to make a qualifying offer to Middleton. 

I think Giolito and Lopez could bring something back in value. Maybe it's not as much as we would like, but better than nothing.

Remember there are other quality baseball clubs out there that are not as fu*ked up as the White sox in terms of developing and coaching talent. The Rays, Giants and Braves are a few examples of clubs that can and have turned players around. There are many others as well. All you need is one team who sees the value of a Giolito for example and wants to go for the World Series and has the deep farm system willing to give up some prospects.

The worst case nightmare scenario is we are close to the Twins and we don't become sellers at the trade deadline. Then we falter miserably and not win the division. Then the Sox wasted the chance to get some young prospects back. Yeah I guess they could always make a 2024 low end qualifying offer and then get compensatory draft pick back, when the player rejects the offer.

They're not likely to offer any one besides Giolito that $20 million QO. 

And one of the primary reasons is to screw up Lucas' market...as there's almost no way he would come back to the White Sox as he will take a $15-18 million per annum 2-3 year deal to pitch anywhere else he's actually wanted. 

Katz likely following him out the door. 

Hopefully Hahn is not dumb enough to waste a QO on Grandal... because nobody will offer anything close to that for remainder of his career. 

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

They're not likely to offer any one besides Giolito that $20 million QO. 

And one of the primary reasons is to screw up Lucas' market...as there's almost no way he would come back to the White Sox as he will take a $15-18 million per annum 2-3 year deal to pitch anywhere else he's actually wanted. 

Katz likely following him out the door. 

Hopefully Hahn is not dumb enough to waste a QO on Grandal... because nobody will offer anything close to that for remainder of his career. 

I agree it would be an absurd decision to offer Grandal a QO offer. I don't give a sh*t what prospects the Sox get back...just trade the loser Grandal and get something.

If we are going to be sellers, I would rather take my chances with trading Giolito at the deadline versus a QO offer. Decent starting pitchers are a prime commodity that most teams, even playoff teams struggle with. Giolito will bring some some decent prospects back in a trade.

Likewise, Lopez is also an example as I stated previously, about teams that are not fu*ked up like the Sox in coaching and developing players. Some winning club will realize Lopez has the stuff and they will feel comfortable that they can teak his flaws and make him better.