Oscar Colas - what's the plan?

Greg Hibbard

As it becomes more and more apparent that Gavin Sheets is the same AAAA player Daniel Palka was five years ago - a left handed power hitter with zero defensive value who occasionally gets hot with home runs - it begs the question - why isn't Oscar Colas back up with this club instead?

Colas continues to prove everything he needs to at the minor league level. He now needs everyday reps at the major league level. I like Gavin and I hope he finds success, but he is just not a good enough piece to build anything substantial. The team is not willing to hit him against LHP, so he is a pure platoon option. Oscar is supposed to blossom into a great major league asset. 

Why are we holding back his development at this point?  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

As it becomes more and more apparent that Gavin Sheets is the same AAAA player Daniel Palka was five years ago - a left handed power hitter with zero defensive value who occasionally gets hot with home runs - it begs the question - why isn't Oscar Colas back up with this club instead?

Colas continues to prove everything he needs to at the minor league level. He now needs everyday reps at the major league level. I like Gavin and I hope he finds success, but he is just not a good enough piece to build anything substantial. The team is not willing to hit him against LHP, so he is a pure platoon option. Oscar is supposed to blossom into a great major league asset. 

I hope it's a matter of Colas working on something specific that may not jump out in the stats.

My guess, though, is that they really don't have a plan beyond "we think Colas will be better long term, so we want to keep his service time down"

• Like 1

If Anderson, Jimenez, Moncada, Grandal, Benintendi didn't all have their heads up their asses and were performing like they could, the Sox could have lived with Colas struggling while learning to hit major league pitching. As things played out, they had to get reliable (even if only vs RHP) bat out in RF.

I disagree they are holding back his development.

He was rushed at a young age this season due to Hahn’s perennial incompetence, in this instance acquiring a RF.

I competent ball club would work with him to improve pitch recognition while sustaining his power capabilities. He hasn’t really improved at this point and should stay down. The White Sox are all but eliminated, so they should be thinking long term.

1 hour ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I read an article this AM about Colas and it said they are working on the same thing that plagues just about everybody else on the Sox roster, pitch selection. I forgot where I read it.
He has his OPS up to around .850 so that’s a good sign.

One thing I noticed about Sheets in the Marlins series is that his swing is awful loopy, not swinging on plane.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

1 hour ago, Greg Hibbard said:

All your points are right on. I would rather give Colas the AB's going forward because eventually he will get it right. When he does get it right, he is the best defensive right fielder option we have. 

I have never been a Sheets fan. I think he is soft and his home run power isn't major league level. I've stated this fact in various posts in here...it was a huge mistake even drafting Sheets so high in the 2nd round in 2017 with the 49th overall pick. We had other first baseman in the farm system and oh yeah...we still had Jose Abreu who was still in his prime and in the 2017, had the following numbers for his first four seasons:

HR   RBI  2B   BA   OBP  SLG   OPS   WAR
2014     36   107  35  .317  .383  .581   .984    5.8
2015     30   101  34  .290  .347  .502   .850    3.6
2016     25   100  32  .293  .353  .468   .820    3.1
2017     33   102  43  .304  .354  .468   .906    4.9

Seriously we needed a 1B that high? Sheets was a really dumb draft choice by Rick Hahn. I know that's a shocking bold statement. LOL! We needed way more help in other areas that we were hurting in. Hence one of the many reasons Hahn's drafting has been a big reason for the 2016 rebuild trainwreck.

Sheets needs to be moved at the trade deadline. I don't care what the weak return is. 

As to why it hasn't happened yet, or if it even will happen, is because of the following:

1. Grifol is a major hiring mistake and showing why he is over his head as a rookie manager. He is probably is too scared to even approach Hahn about it.

2. Hahn is clueless as the White roster builder and maybe he likes to justify he didn't screw up drafting Sheets. 

Maybe another club can improve Sheets to be more productive, but it can't be here. 

Someone involved in roster decisions has a soft spot for Sheets, but it’s not like these guys can scout talent.  If we see Colás again this season it won’t be until they’ve reclaimed that month of service time, and or until they’ve sold off a few pieces. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, pcq said:

I don't find Sheets real inspiring but he needs a good coach which he does not have. 

No matter what, he will always be a one dimensional player. 

Compare to the Francos and Corbin Carrolls of the majors, O'Neil Cruz, Elly De la Cruz, Tatis, Acuna, etc. 

You can pretty much stick those players anywhere on the field and they still have the ability to excel...but, no matter how much you refine Sheets' hitting skills, he's going to be severely limited. 

3 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I read an article this AM about Colas and it said they are working on the same thing that plagues just about everybody else on the Sox roster, pitch selection. I forgot where I read it.
He has his OPS up to around .850 so that’s a good sign.

One thing I noticed about Sheets in the Marlins series is that his swing is awful loopy, not swinging on plane.

I saw a nice diving catch of a sinking liner a day ago and he doesn't look lost under a fly ball, so you may be overstating your case.  He's not Vaughn out there.   And he has an uppercut swing, no secret.  I'm not saying you're wrong overall, I'm just saying.