Ohtani

WBWSF

I remember in the 1990s when JR signed Albert Belle.  Most people including  White Sox fans were surprised that JR signed him. That being said wouldn't it be something if JR signed Ohtani this off season? The signing of Ohtani would not only change the image of the franchise but it would improve the team  tremendously. I would think that alot of the money signing Ohtani would be back loaded which would definitely appeal to JR. It would be the biggest story in MLB if JR signed him. I've mentioned in the past  how I've written JR a number of letters requesting an interview for the GM job. He has never responded to me. If  I was the  GM I would  make every effort in signing Ohtani. 

• Haha 2

Yep, never gonna happen. 29 other GMs will try to do the same. JR lives in the early 90s still apparently. I mean c’mon man we are trying to get them to sign a player to a 100 million dollar contract. He is going to get at least 5 times that amount. 

2 minutes ago, pcq said:

I think Ohtani will sign with the Sox, but I also heard he might sign with one team as a hitter and another team as a pitcher in order to maximize his value.  (green)

The real question should be when he faces himself will he strike himself out or go deep. I guess if he’s hitting for the Sox it’s a guaranteed strikeout.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

I remember in the 1990s when JR signed Albert Belle.  Most people including  White Sox fans were surprised that JR signed him. That being said wouldn't it be something if JR signed Ohtani this off season? The signing of Ohtani would not only change the image of the franchise but it would improve the team  tremendously. I would think that alot of the money signing Ohtani would be back loaded which would definitely appeal to JR. It would be the biggest story in MLB if JR signed him. I've mentioned in the past  how I've written JR a number of letters requesting an interview for the GM job. He has never responded to me. If  I was the  GM I would  make every effort in signing Ohtani. 

Fastest way to getting back to contention is Ohtanhi. He solves so many problems.  You move Gio, Timmy, and other expiring's, build up depth - sign Ohtani and hope the other parts of your core are alright and go through it. With that said - they aren't about to spend $600M over 10 years.  

I also don't know what the Sox strategy should be - but they might have two of the better pitchers on the market in Gio / Cease. You also know if Ohtani goes onto market - people may go nuts for him.  Is it better to deal Gio (for example) before Shohei or are you better to find the team that missed out. My gut would be deal him now - while he's healthy and pitching good, than you have Cease left to deal closer to deadline (knowing you at least have another year of him - which is valuable for a team looking to acquire - get him for the stretch run + next year).  Would think Dodgers would be a theoretical good fit - say Timmy and Cease.  

2 hours ago, WBWSF said:

I'm still rooting for you to get that interview.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, JoeCredeYes said:

The Dodgers active payroll goes from about $229M in '23 to about $110 in '24.  Difficult to imagine he lands anywhere else. 

Don't think you can overstate this. They have the money, they have the west coast access to Japan. I'd say they are like 3-1 favorites against the rest of MLB to sign him.

• Like 1