Bot 10, Tie game, BUNT!

CentralChamps21

https://theanalyst.com/na/2023/03/should-mlb-teams-be-bunting-the-ghost-runner-to-third/

While portraying Oakland A’s general manager Billy Beane in the movie version of Moneyball, Brad Pitt explained this line of thinking further: “If someone bunts on us, just pick it up and throw it to first. They’re giving you an out – just giving it to you. Take it. Say thank you.”

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

https://theanalyst.com/na/2023/03/should-mlb-teams-be-bunting-the-ghost-runner-to-third/

While portraying Oakland A’s general manager Billy Beane in the movie version of Moneyball, Brad Pitt explained this line of thinking further: “If someone bunts on us, just pick it up and throw it to first. They’re giving you an out – just giving it to you. Take it. Say thank you.”

Bunting greatly decreases the expected number of runs for the inning, BUT bunting a runner from 2nd to 3rd with 0 outs greatly increases your chances of scoring one run in the inning, so a tie game in the bottom of 9th or extras is an exception to the rule.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

The batters up in the 10th were Robert (walked), Eloy, Grandal, and Burger. I can’t imagine that any of these guys regularly practice bunting, asking them to do so is just taking the bat out of their hands.

They should all be regularly practicing bunting, and we've seen many times what leaving the bat in their hands has produced.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just pitiful extra innings execution from this group.  I'd honestly feel more confident with the bottom of the lineup coming up in the extras cause they can lay down a bunt.  Robert and Eloy almost certainly would pop up a bunt if they tried, and seems they strike out, ground out to left side or pop out 95% of the time in those situations.

3 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

They should all be regularly practicing bunting, and we've seen many times what leaving the bat in their hands has produced.

I have zero interest in Eloy, Burger, or Robert practicing bunting. They have better things to work on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I would have preferred moving man over too. Not because I think we could execute a sac fly, but because I think the highest chance we had of scoring a run was by far a passed ball, which is 80% of our offense. Failed bunt is worth it, still the highest probability play was toronto accidentally throwing a ball in the dirt or hitting the umpire in the head.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, bmags said:

I would have preferred moving man over too. Not because I think we could execute a sac fly, but because I think the highest chance we had of scoring a run was by far a passed ball, which is 80% of our offense. Failed bunt is worth it, still the highest probability play was toronto accidentally throwing a ball in the dirt or hitting the umpire in the head.

I laughed - not because its funny - because it is so pathetically true. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

The batters up in the 10th were Robert (walked), Eloy, Grandal, and Burger. I can’t imagine that any of these guys regularly practice bunting, asking them to do so is just taking the bat out of their hands.

Well that’s on the manager and coaches, we now have new rules where the bunt in the bottom of the 10th of a tie game is something that should be an automatic strategy, so many good things can happen with a bunt with one out, passed balls, wild pitches, sacrifice flies and errors and you don’t need a hit to win the game. 
Every position player should be working on bunting but hey I’ve only been following Baseball and the Sox for 71 years, WTF do I know.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Well that’s on the manager and coaches, we now have new rules where the bunt in the bottom of the 10th of a tie game is something that should be an automatic strategy, so many good things can happen with a bunt with one out, passed balls, wild pitches, sacrifice flies and errors and you don’t need a hit to win the game. 
Everybody position player should be working on bunting but hey I’ve only been following Baseball and the Sox for 71 years, WTF do I know.

Really?

I am as hard on Pedro as anyone but you just don’t have Eloy bunt. You have to trust him with the bat in his hands. I was actually more worried about him grounding into a DP with Romano’s slider. It was a tough spot and what did it matter anyway? Grandal would have struck out anyway.

1 hour ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Bunting greatly decreases the expected number of runs for the inning, BUT bunting a runner from 2nd to 3rd with 0 outs greatly increases your chances of scoring one run in the inning, so a tie game in the bottom of 9th or extras is an exception to the rule.

I think the main consideration was the hitter was Eloy that has been hitting well lately, and that Grandal, who has sucked, was hitting next.  Grandal hitting 5 th in this game hurt the Sox.

2 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

we only needed one run. Could have tried bunting one pitch.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Yes, after walking Robert that would've meant Eloy is the guy to bunt and he would've failed miserably.  On the other hand, Eloy struck out anyways so trying to bunt probably wouldn't have been any worse of an outcome.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Really?

Yessir.  100% of the time you bunt and don't take the bunt off even with 2 strikes.  You want fundamental baseball, go check out David Bell & the Cincinnati Reds.  They would've bunted, it would've been 2nd & 3rd and 1 out.  Reds hitters would've been looking fastball knowing pitcher/catcher wouldn't want a wild pitch.  It's style of play.  The White Sox are absolutely horrendous fundamentally to the point they don't even care.  It's one thing to make it to the big leagues, it's another to be humbled and constantly work on improving fundamentals.   I'm done with this organization as I feel as if fundamental baseball isn't in the cards for decades.  It's one thing to be a fan of a team, and another to be a good fan of fundamental baseball 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, RG23SoxFan said:

Yes, after walking Robert that would've meant Eloy is the guy to bunt and he would've failed miserably.  On the other hand, Eloy struck out anyways so trying to bunt probably wouldn't have been any worse of an outcome.

Well, he could have popped a bunt into a triple play. 😊

Seriously, how many times in a season would anyone ask Eloy or any hitter with his skill set to bunt? You just can’t ask a hitter to do something he does not do or, yeah, a worse catastrophe could happen. 

Edited by soxfaninfl
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dan Pasqua said:

Yessir.  100% of the time you bunt and don't take the bunt off even with 2 strikes.  You want fundamental baseball, go check out David Bell & the Cincinnati Reds.  They would've bunted, it would've been 2nd & 3rd and 1 out.  Reds hitters would've been looking fastball knowing pitcher/catcher wouldn't want a wild pitch.  It's style of play.  The White Sox are absolutely horrendous fundamentally to the point they don't even care.  It's one thing to make it to the big leagues, it's another to be humbled and constantly work on improving fundamentals.   I'm done with this organization as I feel as if fundamental baseball isn't in the cards for decades.  It's one thing to be a fan of a team, and another to be a good fan of fundamental baseball 

The Reds would not ask Joey Votto to bunt.

• Like 1

Two guys are standing in line to get a job, one guy says I can bunt and other says I can't.  Who gets the job?  Guess which guy the White Sox org is going to hire?  

Two guys are standing in line to get a job, one guy says with enthusiasm yes I want to practice bunting and I will do it everyday even though I'm tired and it's difficult, the other just says takes the excuse route and doesn't get to day 2 because it takes effort.  Guess which guy the White Sox org is going to hire?

Just now, soxfaninfl said:

The Reds would not ask Joey Votto to bunt.

You are correct.  He wouldn't have needed asking.  The crowd would've been chanting JOEY and he would've sacrificed himself.  Even if he wouldn't be comfortable in that spot he definitely would've given his best effort.  

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I have zero interest in Eloy, Burger, or Robert practicing bunting. They have better things to work on.

Every single player bunts a few times in the first round of BP. Every day. It takes nothing away from practice time.

There is one time when bunting makes sense: needing one run to win in the bottom of an inning with nobody out and runners on 1st and 2nd. It keeps you out of a double play and increases the odds of scoring a run (the only run needed) by about 5%. Takes it from like 65 to 70% I believe. 

Eloy isn't prime Barry Bonds. Hell, he's not even prime Maglio. Get the damn bunt down, get the guy over to 3rd and win the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1