2023 White Sox Salary / Transaction Tracker

South Side Hit Men

Traded / Sold ($60.4M)

• $19.5M Lance Lynn (7/28/23) - Received RHS Nick Nastrini, RHR Jordan Leasure & OF Trace Thompson
  • $16.0M Kendall Graveman (7/28/23) - Received C Korey Lee
  • $10.4M Lucas Giolito (7/26/23) - Received C Edgar Quero & LHS Ky Bush
  • $9.0M Joe Kelly (7/28/23) - (See Lynn)
  • $3.6M Reynaldo Lopez (7/26/23) - (See Giolito) 
  • $1.0M Jake Marisnick (5/30/23) - Received cash
  • $0.9M Jose Ruiz (4/9/23) - Received cash

Released ($16.8M)

• $11.0M Leury Garcia (3/30/23)
  • $4.5M Jake Diekman (5/2/23)
  • $1.3M Hanser Alberto (6/4/23)

Demoted ($3.1M)

• $1.0M Billy Hamilton (6/14/23)
  • $0.7M Alex Colome (5/12/23)
  • $0.7M Clint Frazier (7/3/23)
  • $0.7M Bryan Shaw (7/22/23)

Remaining 2024 Free Agents ($33.3M)

• $18.3M Yasmani Grandal DH/1B/C
  • $12.0M Mike Clevinger RH SP
  • $3.0M Elvis Andrus INF
Edited by South Side Hit Men
Updated through 7/28
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Traded / Sold ($15.9M)

• $10.4M Lucas Giolito (7/26/23) - Received C Edgar Quero & LHS Ky Bush
  • $3.6M Reynaldo Lopez (7/26/23) - (See Giolito) 
  • $1.0M Jake Marisnick (5/30/23) - Received cash
  • $0.9M Jose Ruiz (4/9/23) - Received cash

Released ($16.8M)

• $11.0M Leury Garcia (3/30/23)
  • $4.5M Jake Diekman (5/2/23)
  • $1.3M Hanser Alberto (6/4/23)

Demoted ($3.1M)

• $1.0M Billy Hamilton (6/14/23)
  • $0.7M Alex Colome (5/12/23)
  • $0.7M Clint Frazier (7/3/23)
  • $0.7M Bryan Shaw (7/22/23)

Remaining 2024 Free Agents ($61.8M)

• $19.5M Lance Lynn RH SP
  • $18.3M Yasmani Grandal DH/1B/C
  • $12.0M Mike Clevinger RH SP
  • $9.0M Joe Kelly RH RP
  • $3.0M Elvis Andrus INF

Would rather read and follow the projected 2024 payroll and any moves effects on that to be honest.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Would rather read and follow the projected 2024 payroll and any moves effects on that to be honest.

Cots has this.

The trades this week aren’t impacting 2024 unless they move players controllable beyond 2023, which they publicly leaked / stated they are not looking to do.

2024 is pretty much set at this point in terms of the several players who will take the vast majority of 2024 payroll, with no credible additions likely.

The money “has been spent”, on Benintendi and the remaining core which failed to collectively deliver.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

The reason nobody wants to read the transaction tracker is because it continues to illustrate how horrible of a job Rick Hahn has done and how he has destroyed this franchise. 

He came in as GM in 2013. From 2013-2015 he did nothing. In those three years, the Sox were 212-274 .436. They finished 5th, 4th and 4th in those years in the Central division. Then the genius Hahn convinced his demented owner to do a total rebuild in 2016. Tear all down and rebuild it the right way. In the last seven years we can officially grade the 2016 Sox rebuild as a complete trainwreck. 

Whatever the payroll is for 2024, it should have zero involvement from the worst GM in baseball today and in Sox history. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just looking at the 40 man, if you remove all the folks gone after this trade deadline/year (Including declining the options on Kelly and Lynn), you're at 31. With even minimal clearing of guys like Haseley, Frazier, Padilla, and Peralta, you're at 27.  Then there's failed prospects like Sheets, Romy Gonzalez, and Carlos Perez (sorry, I like him too but he can't catch) you might be below 25.  Sox have a lot of warm bodies to acquire just to run a team out, let alone build a contender. 

• Like 2

Also, am I crazy, but is Matt Thompson the only prospect you'd even consider adding to the 40 man?  Mena and Veras aren't Rule 5 eligible until after next year. Most of your higher level relievers have been either hurt (Freeman) or ineffective (Lane Ramsey). Mieses hasn't done anything to warrant it. Maybe this changes with the upcoming sell off, but I could see the Sox taking 5 guys in the Rule 5 draft just because they can.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Just looking at the 40 man, if you remove all the folks gone after this trade deadline/year (Including declining the options on Kelly and Lynn), you're at 31. With even minimal clearing of guys like Haseley, Frazier, Padilla, and Peralta, you're at 27.  Then there's failed prospects like Sheets, Romy Gonzalez, and Carlos Perez (sorry, I like him too but he can't catch) you might be below 25.  Sox have a lot of warm bodies to acquire just to run a team out, let alone build a contender. 

So do you take multiple rule 5 guys?  If you get a reliever or two and have a starting pitcher tryout camp?  UGGGGG but what have you got to lose especially if one hits as a major league average guy for a couple years.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

So do you take multiple rule 5 guys?  If you get a reliever or two and have a starting pitcher tryout camp?  UGGGGG but what have you got to lose especially if one hits as a major league average guy for a couple years.

I think I'm being a little crazy, but it just demonstrates how little depth this org has amassed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

If you're putting this together, wouldn't it be more useful for traded guys to prorate their money by how much the Angels are paying? The White Sox clearly have not cut their payroll by $15.9 million through trades. 

It's 1/3. It's not about the amount cut from payroll, as the DFAs and pro-rated share of demotions aren't savings.

Once the deadline is over, a follow-up listing remaining rostered players 2024 costs will be posted.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Nightengale suggesting we are gonna spend some money in the offseason after unloading these salaries.

Maybe the total payroll cut won't be too deep?

They were clearly going to have to spend some money just to field a team next year. They've filled the catcher's role well enough, but they still have only 2 starters - maybe you can push a guy up aggressively next year, but both Nastrini and Bush are down at AA, and Bush has only thrown 30 innings down there this year, so neither of them looks like a guy you'd want to count on as a rotation piece in 2024. Just to tread water, they still need 3 starters, and now they've cleared out their bullpen so they absolutely are going to be finding 4 or 5 pitchers somewhere. It would also be nice if we knew who the 6th starter would be for once. 

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

They were clearly going to have to spend some money just to field a team next year. They've filled the catcher's role well enough, but they still have only 2 starters - maybe you can push a guy up aggressively next year, but both Nastrini and Bush are down at AA, and Bush has only thrown 30 innings down there this year, so neither of them looks like a guy you'd want to count on as a rotation piece in 2024. Just to tread water, they still need 3 starters, and now they've cleared out their bullpen so they absolutely are going to be finding 4 or 5 pitchers somewhere. It would also be nice if we knew who the 6th starter would be for once. 

They'll rush Davis Martin back like with Crochet and Hendriks. 

• Haha 1

Hopefully Hahn and Haber have learned that their lesson investing big in middle relief, esp. multi-year contracts, is loony-tunes.  The only reason to sign those guys is to trade them in July.  
They'll have to pay for a couple of starters next season.  

If they believe in Touki, they can pay 1 starter and hope to sort through a ton of options (Cueto types and rookies) to try and patch together a 5th starter.  Then, if they pay for a bat, you'd could squint and talk yourself into a contending team? Kinda?

On 7/27/2023 at 11:25 AM, Timmy U said:

Also, am I crazy, but is Matt Thompson the only prospect you'd even consider adding to the 40 man?  Mena and Veras aren't Rule 5 eligible until after next year. Most of your higher level relievers have been either hurt (Freeman) or ineffective (Lane Ramsey). Mieses hasn't done anything to warrant it. Maybe this changes with the upcoming sell off, but I could see the Sox taking 5 guys in the Rule 5 draft just because they can.

Fangraphs shows Mena & Veras as being Rule 5 eligible this year.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Timmy U said:

If they believe in Touki, they can pay 1 starter and hope to sort through a ton of options (Cueto types and rookies) to try and patch together a 5th starter.  Then, if they pay for a bat, you'd could squint and talk yourself into a contending team? Kinda?

Same problem as this year, but where is the pitching depth?  If you go into the season with only four legit starters (and a very questionable offense), you are pretty much dead on arrival.

After this past draft and the last couple of trades, there is going to be a sizable wave of SP prospects that starting hitting the pros in late 2024.  I think 2025 is the soonest you can realistically compete because we’ll finally have some real SP prospects in the upper minors who can backfill the major league rotation.  Next year needs to be a transition year IMO.  See what you have in Nastrini, Mena, Pallette, Cannon, Taylor, Keaner, Thompson, Bush, & Burke if he’s still alive and go from there.  Those are the guys who could potentially play a role sometime in 2025, but none of them will be ready for Opening Day 2024.

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Same problem as this year, but where is the pitching depth?  If you go into the season with only four legit starters (and a very questionable offense), you are pretty much dead on arrival.

After this past draft and the last couple of trades, there is going to be a sizable wave of SP prospects that starting hitting the pros in late 2024.  I think 2025 is the soonest you can realistically compete because we’ll finally have some real SP prospects in the upper minors who can backfill the major league rotation.  Next year needs to be a transition year IMO.  See what you have in Nastrini, Mena, Pallette, Cannon, Taylor, Keaner, Thompson, Bush, & Burke if he’s still alive and go from there.  Those are the guys who could potentially play a role sometime in 2025, but none of them will be ready for Opening Day 2024.

I agree, but this group is not realistic. I'm not saying this is what I'd do. I'm trying to parse out what they mean when they say they plan to compete next year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I agree, but this group is not realistic. I'm not saying this is what I'd do. I'm trying to parse out what they mean when they say they plan to compete next year.

Oh fully agree.  The only thing I’ll say is if this was a .500 team and they just missed the playoffs then no doubt I believe they’d run it back depth be dammed.  However, I honestly think they know this group is beyond saving and that a hard reset is needed.  There is just isn’t path and the guys they’ve added are far more likely to help the 2025 than the 2024 one.  I think that is signaling their true plans.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Oh fully agree.  The only thing I’ll say is if this was a .500 team and they just missed the playoffs then no doubt I believe they’d run it back depth be dammed.  However, I honestly think they know this group is beyond saving and that a hard reset is needed.  There is just isn’t path and the guys they’ve added are far more likely to help the 2025 than the 2024 one.  I think that is signaling their true plans.

I hope you are right.