Crochet wants to be a SP

Chicago White Sox

1 hour ago, SoCalChiSox said:

IMO, Schultz should be in High A already and I wouldn't be shocked if he was in AA by early next season.

I totally agree with you and stated this a few times already. Schultz just went 4 shutout innings last night. It makes no sense to not at least bump him to Winston-Salem for the rest of the season.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Yes it was totally a Tony LaRussa bullpen fetish. It’s not like we have any reason to think Hahn orgasms at the concept of middle relief. After all, it was clearly LaRussa in 2021 who:

Tried to move Sale to the 2012 bullpen

Signed Robertson to one of the richest reliever contracts 

Signed Ohman

Signed Duke

Drafted Burdi

Traded for Ynoa

Signed Jennings 

Brought Fulmer up from AA as a reliever when he had an ErA  near 5

Traded for Colome

Signed Herrera 

Drafted Crochet in round 1 and immediately put him in the bullpen 

Put Rodon into the bullpen

Obviously all the bullpen moves are LaRussas fault as I have no examples of Hahn wasting unbelievable resources on the bullpen when LaRussa wasn’t here. Aside from the above.

These were also all pre existing relievers, whereas Kopech was always a starter until Tony! Toni! Tone! drunk drove into a parking space at 35th and Shields.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

These were also all pre existing relievers, whereas Kopech was always a starter until Tony! Toni! Tone! drunk drove into a parking space at 35th and Shields.

Plus Tony went back in time to draft Crochet and converted him into a reliever.

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, we can all buy that LaRussa wanted Joe Kelly but other than that?

Hendriks?

Jake Lamb

Dave Duncan’s son

Adam Eaton

Steak Dinner In Season Extension

Moving Madrigal who he hated

Leury extension

Joe Kelly

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Plus Tony went back in time to draft Crochet and converted him into a reliever.

2020 was Jerry and his 102 game lockout because he “lost” ten figures. The Game Three debacle was Hahn’s fault, but Ricky took the blame because Chicago media.

Tony was alpha and Hahn beta boy until his baby heart attack / detox / whatever else in 2022. Would blame both, but Tony clearly had far more say than Ricky or Pedro in these matters.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

2020 was Jerry and his 102 game lockout because he “lost” ten figures. The Game Three debacle was Hahn’s fault, but Ricky took the blame because Chicago media.

Tony was alpha and Hahn beta boy until his baby heart attack / detox / whatever else in 2022. Would blame both, but Tony clearly had far more say than Ricky or Pedro in these matters.

Tony also clearly brought Crochet back into the bullpen in 2023 thirteen months after TJS and after a whopping 6 rehab innings. It’s all Tony, he’s been making the bullpen decisions for precisely 11 seasons. No one else can be blamed here.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Tony also clearly brought Crochet back into the bullpen in 2023 thirteen months after TJS and after a whopping 6 rehab innings. It’s all Tony, he’s been making the bullpen decisions for precisely 11 seasons. No one else can be blamed here.

You’re at a half dozen garbage straw man posts.

I mentioned 2021, and you spazzed out with this unrelated garbage.

But you do you.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

5 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

You’re at a half dozen garbage straw man posts.

I mentioned 2021, and you spazzed out with this unrelated garbage.

But you do you.

You’re trying to shift blame onto Tony to spare the real villain, Rick Hahn, who always does this s%*# but who you are determined to avoid blaming.

Rick Hahn’s actions aren’t Rick Hahn’s fault™. People are so determined to protect him that I’ve been using that trademark logo on that line for 8 years.

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

You’re trying to shift blame onto Tony to spare the real villain, Rick Hahn, who always does this s%*# but who you are determined to avoid blaming.

Rick Hahn’s actions aren’t Rick Hahn’s fault™. People are so determined to protect him that I’ve been using that trademark logo on that line for 8 years.

LOLz, sure Jan. La Russa fucked over Kopech for two seasons, he will likely never recover.

Hahn fucked over just about the rest of the roster beyond Tony's signings and extensions listed above.

https://calltothepen.com/2022/08/22/chicago-white-sox-fire-tony-la-russa-latest-idiocy/

7 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m 100% open to the idea if Crochet is willing to spend a year in AAA.  And honestly, it’s further reason to punt the 2024 season.  With the recent trades and this past draft class, we could actually fill out our minor rotations with legit prospects.  Let those guys have a year to develop without risk of rushing them to the majors in some Hail Mary attempt to win a garbage division.

AAA:

1. Crochet*
  2. Nastrini
  3. Bush*
  4. Burke
  5. Thompson

AA:

1. Mena
  2. Cannon
  3. Pallette
  4. Kelley
  5. Simas

High A:

1. Schultz*
  2. Taylor
  3. McDougal
  4. Schweitzer*
  5. Adams/Murphy/Vera

Low A:

1. Keener
  2. Gordan*
  3. LaCombe
  4. Oppor*
  5. Arias*

This sounds like planning and foresight. We don't do that round here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Why do they owe it to him?

Rushing him into the majors; rushing him back twice from injury.  Never giving him a chance to start.  Overall stunting his career due to FO laziness and general effery.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 2
  • Fire 2

16 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Totally believable statement:

Garret Crochet would be a top of the rotation starter in 2024 if the White Sox hadn’t ever tried to make him a reliever.

They cost him $200 million+ for a middle reliever in 2021.

If he was a bottom of the rotation SPOT starter at Tenn for 2 years, how/why could/would he ever be a top of rotation SP in MLB?

Baseball isn't football or basketball. Jacob de Grom was a SS in college.  What players did in college doesn't matter.  Professional teams have time to develop players in the minors leagues but for some reason the Sox decided to skip that step with Crochet.  They never gave him the opportunity to show what he could be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

What's the harm in trying? We might derail the progress of a middle reliever with 3 years of control?

Going to have to spend a couple years in the minors.

Guy can’t stay healthy enough to get the innings.

Edit: s%*#, he’s hurt now 

Edited by Bob Sacamano

2 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Rushing him into the majors; rushing him back twice from injury.  Never giving him a chance to start.  Overall stunting his career due to FO laziness and general effery.

Or maybe he isn't a starting caliber pitcher since as you said he's been injured twice already as a reliever

Edited by soxfan49

19 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Or maybe he isn't a starting caliber pitcher since as you said he's been injured twice already as a reliever

Maybe not.  But he wants to try; and given the way the Sox have treated him, I think that they owe him the chance.
And it's not like the reliever thing has worked out, so no real harm to the Sox either.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Most of the time even with guys who wind up relievers things work out best if you work them as starters in the minors for a while. At the very least, you’re working the 20 year olds arm, building up muscle strength, allowing them to practice their secondary pitches, and creating muscle memory. Crochet was a lefty throwing 102, he was probably going to go down for TJS at some point, but that’s no excuse for putting him on this insane progression.

Also, you can’t hold this shoulder injury against him. The White Sox raced him back faster than basically any pitcher from TJS in years because we needed that sweet orgasmic middle relief for our wonderful 2023 team. Him getting hurt was basically guaranteed. Saying he has two arm injuries feels like blaming him for getting in the way of the bullet that the White Sox fired at him.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Most of the time even with guys who wind up relievers things work out best if you work them as starters in the minors for a while. At the very least, you’re working the 20 year olds arm, building up muscle strength, allowing them to practice their secondary pitches, and creating muscle memory. Crochet was a lefty throwing 102, he was probably going to go down for TJS at some point, but that’s no excuse for putting him on this insane progression.

Also, you can’t hold this shoulder injury against him. The White Sox raced him back faster than basically any pitcher from TJS in years because we needed that sweet orgasmic middle relief for our wonderful 2023 team. Him getting hurt was basically guaranteed. Saying he has two arm injuries feels like blaming him for getting in the way of the bullet that the White Sox fired at him.

He also was hurt in college, and got hurt after pitching a few innings in 2020. Since 2019, he's pitched 81 innings in college, the majors and rehab stints, and he's hurt again It wasn't the Sox fault he was hurt at Tennessee. I guess you can blame them for his injury in 2020, but I fail to see if he was at the alternate site throwing enough to be a starteer, how he would have stayed healthy. 

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

He also was hurt in college, and got hurt after pitching a few innings in 2020. Since 2019, he's pitched 81 innings in college, the majors and rehab stints, and he's hurt again It wasn't the Sox fault he was hurt at Tennessee. I guess you can blame them for his injury in 2020, but I fail to see if he was at the alternate site throwing enough to be a starteer, how he would have stayed healthy. 

If you think this sounds ok I want you to try something for me. If you have an exercise program, shut it down entirely for 3 months, then go three months without running. Then, you have a week to train before a competition where all you will be doing is running sprints. 

Does that sound like a sensible strategy or do you think that suddenly shooting up to sprinting with no buildup might risk an injury?

Crochet threw 3 innings in college before the 2020 season was canceled. The next thing you knew, after not facing live hitters since the summer of 2019, he was facing big league hitters in the playoffs throwing as hard as he could. I don’t care how effective your work is at home or at the alternate site, that ramp up is absolutely insane. Most human bodies can’t do that, no matter how athletic they are.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If you think this sounds ok I want you to try something for me. If you have an exercise program, shut it down entirely for 3 months, then go three months without running. Then, you have a week to train before a competition where all you will be doing is running sprints. 

Does that sound like a sensible strategy or do you think that suddenly shooting up to sprinting with no buildup might risk an injury?

Crochet threw 3 innings in college before the 2020 season was canceled. The next thing you knew, after not facing live hitters since the summer of 2019, he was facing big league hitters in the playoffs throwing as hard as he could. I don’t care how effective your work is at home or at the alternate site, that ramp up is absolutely insane. Most human bodies can’t do that, no matter how athletic they are.

He threw 3 innings in 2020 because he had a sore shoulder. He was a spot starter in college. The point is he has never shown, ever, the ability to be a starter from a physical standpoint. I know you think you are Mr. Trainer and probably could get him throwing 200 innings a year on the right program, but I doubt it. He's always going to be an injury waiting to happen if it hasn't happened. He is what most thought Chris Sale would be. A guy who is always hurt. Sale defied it for a long while, but now, he's always hurt.