When Do the Sox Talk About a New Stadium??

jasonxctf

22 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

How many concert tours want a baseball stadium sized venue in the winter? And they’re not after the kind of facility you can find at any of the other concert venues that already hold 20 or 30k? Not enough to pay for a retractable roof. You need larger than a basketball stadium but not large enough for a football stadium. Especially if the Bears build the kind of facility they should.

Looking north to Milwaukee at their dome  Kenny Chesney and Paul McCartney played their recently. But Milwaukee is different than Chicago. 

39 minutes ago, almagest said:

This isn't happening until JR dies at the earliest. The stadium is still in GREAT shape, too. I'd guess in 10 years we might see some rumbling but not now.

Hopefully in 10 years, come 2033, New Comiskey will play host to the 100th anniversary of the first All-Star Game (1933).

But we all know MLB can be challenged at times to do the right thing.

4 hours ago, ron883 said:

I feel like states and municipalities are more reluctant to cough up a bunch of cash for professional stadiums now a days, as they should be. I haven't been paying attention to the bears new stadium saga. I hope the state doesn't cough up a dime for that stadium, or for a future Sox stadium. 

This, and they better be called the fucking Arlington Heights Bears.

Better yet, put their asses in London or Berlin and bring back the Cardinals.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Don't like the suburbs or just suburbanites?

Comiskey III will right all of the wrongs of the original version of Comiskey II.  Home plate will be at 35th & Shields and the park will face the skyline to the north.  The south side of 35th will be restaurants, bars, and team store.  McCuddies II will be the anchor.  35th street will be closed to traffic and will be set up as a tailgate/beer garden.  New Sox Park will bdraw 30K a night and will be a destination again.  

The potential is there.  It just takes the will. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Comiskey III will right all of the wrongs of the original version of Comiskey II.  Home plate will be at 35th & Shields and the park will face the skyline to the north.  The south side of 35th will be restaurants, bars, and team store.  McCuddies II will be the anchor.  35th street will be closed to traffic and will be set up as a tailgate/beer garden.  New Sox Park will bdraw 30K a night and will be a destination again.  

Too bad you're not in charge of it.

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

Looking north to Milwaukee at their dome  Kenny Chesney and Paul McCartney played their recently. But Milwaukee is different than Chicago. 

For Milwaukee it seems like the baseball stadiums have been the largest available venues. That is already not the case in Chicago, and I doubt even that paid for the roof on its own.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/life/green-sheet/2023/06/06/milwaukees-most-attended-concerts-from-elton-john-to-pink-floyd/70290428007/

23 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Just build the Armor Square Field design and name it Wintrust Field at Comiskey Park.

It's so fucking baffling that this team was offered one of (if not the) best ballpark designs (Camden) in MLB and the best possible name and passed them up both times.

Imagine the Camden Yards design, facing the skyline, but it has the words WIN and TRUST in the name.

The White Sox way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

Just build the Armor Square Field design and name it Wintrust Field at Comiskey Park.

It's so fucking baffling that this team was offered one of (if not the) best ballpark designs (Camden) in MLB and the best possible name and passed them up both times.

Imagine the Camden Yards design, facing the skyline, but it has the words WIN and TRUST in the name.

The White Sox way.

I was actually told by a source over the winter that Wintrust actually offered a better deal for the Sox then Guaranteed Rate but there were other factors involved including one involving a high ranking member of the front office and some "family" connections to that company. The other issue was Wintrust wanted the named changed back to Comiskey Park and JR did not like that one bit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

By all accounts the name will remain the Chicago Bears (as well it should in my opinion). Doesn't bother me in the slightest that they are playing in the suburbs, it's all the same Chicago area just like the Giants and Jets still have the New York moniker (and they actually play in New Jersey...)

56 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I was actually told by a source over the winter that Wintrust actually offered a better deal for the Sox then Guaranteed Rate but there were other factors involved including one involving a high ranking member of the front office and some "family" connections to that company. The other issue was Wintrust wanted the named changed back to Comiskey Park and JR did not like that one bit. 

What a jerk.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Quin said:

The White Sox way.

I'm quite fond of those Armour Square designs. There is so much untapped potential for the Sox to be a near south baseball destination, but JR is lazy and lacks imagination.  Or the will.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Texsox said:

Concerts? Events? Why have the stadium sitting for most of the year? 

It’s utilized most of the year due to the long baseball stadium. The problem is that big-time entertainers want to go to Wrigley, and if they don’t play there, Soldier Field will host bigger events. I would have to look the last major concert hosted by the Sox.

The concert itself at Wrigley is nice but the amenities and just super cramped feeling is awful.

As far as the stadium itself, it seems solid the way it is. The concourses aren’t anything special but into the ballpark is nice.  It just needs to see good baseball because a few bad season takes a lot to come back from.

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

I'm quite fond of those Armour Square designs. There is so much untapped potential for the Sox to be a near south baseball destination, but JR is lazy and lacks imagination.  Or the will.

Acres of parking lots and a free Section 8 stadium is what Jerry wanted, they rejected all other designs.

It equates to max profits in his brain, same as fielding second place teams ad infinitum.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, tjp1684 said:

It’s utilized most of the year due to the long baseball stadium. The problem is that big-time entertainers want to go to Wrigley, and if they don’t play there, Soldier Field will host bigger events. I would have to look the last major concert hosted by the Sox.

The concert itself at Wrigley is nice but the amenities and just super cramped feeling is awful.

As far as the stadium itself, it seems solid the way it is. The concourses aren’t anything special but into the ballpark is nice.  It just needs to see good baseball because a few bad season takes a lot to come back from.

Bruce Springsteen 2003